Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

You know you are a hard-core commuter if...

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

You know you are a hard-core commuter if...

Old 08-23-11, 10:22 AM
Leiniesred
South Denver Commuter

Bikes: 2003 Spec. Epic, 200ish Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You wonder how many more miles you can squeeze out of a tire worn down to the point the cords are showing.
Old 08-23-11, 10:25 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-in-kville
... you listen to the weather at 4am to determine if you will have a tailwind, headwind or cross-wind on the way home from work!
Eff that. I have my own weather station that tells me that info in real time along with the wind forecast...
Old 08-23-11, 11:20 AM
metro2005

Bikes: Cube travel pro

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
..You always take the longest possible route home.
Old 08-23-11, 11:31 AM
Farmer Dave

Bikes: 2010 Globe Vienna Disc 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When your co-workes get really excited about explaining to customers that that bike outside the restaurant window belongs to you. And that they should see how decked out you look at night with all your lights and reflective apparel.
Old 08-23-11, 12:26 PM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Farmer Dave
When your co-workes get really excited about explaining to customers that that bike outside the restaurant window belongs to you. And that they should see how decked out you look at night with all your lights and reflective apparel.
My boss brought a client into my office yesterday and began gesturing to me and my nearby bicycle, excitedly babbling about how I ride 20 miles each way, blah blah blah... And totally missed the fact that I had all of my riding kit hanging on the bike to dry, esp. my shorts turned inside out & hanging on the top tube. I wish that he'd give me a heads up before he plans to use me as a stop in his office tours.
Old 08-23-11, 01:13 PM
metro2005

Bikes: Cube travel pro

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
If your coworkers ask you if you are mad to come to work by bike since its really bad weather outside and you look at them thinking... bad weather?
Old 08-23-11, 02:09 PM
El Gigante

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you can see the outline of each link on your chain ring "tattoo". . .
Old 08-23-11, 02:12 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
It has been so long since you drove to work that when you finally have to, co-workers congratulate you on getting your drivers license back.
Old 08-23-11, 04:59 PM
idoru2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BSB
... when you pass all the roadies on their super-light carbon fibre race bikes because you put in more miles than they do.
+1, I showed up at a post-work group ride and I didn't have time to remove my seatpost rack. One of the other riders warned the rest of them "watch out for this guy, he's a commuter!"
Old 08-23-11, 10:19 PM
Cheshire

Bikes: 2011 Marin Novato 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...if you've almost concussed yourself on the window in a car from making an unexpected sharp left turn. (or right, if passenger.)
...if you've inadvertently punched the window instead of reaching for the turn signal lever when you do end up driving.
...if one of the guys on the local track bike team does a double take and then starts a discussion about your commuter rig. (I'm still proud of that one...and I really miss that bike!)
Old 08-23-11, 11:50 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Oh man, this thread is gold!

I've always been curious about those Mormons too. And has anyone here actually gotten a speeding ticket on their bike? I would proudly frame that, but I've probably more often been over the limit on other things while riding.
Old 08-24-11, 07:35 AM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheshire
...if you've inadvertently punched the window instead of reaching for the turn signal lever when you do end up driving.
This morning I momentarily forgot where my windshield wiper controls were (Had to clear off a week's worth of dust off the windshield ) and accidentally turned on my lights instead.
Old 08-24-11, 01:03 PM
Nutfarmer

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...when you drive to work one day and your wife calls in a panic because she thinks somebody stole your car.
Old 08-24-11, 07:03 PM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Surrealdeal
This morning I momentarily forgot where my windshield wiper controls were (Had to clear off a week's worth of dust off the windshield ) and accidentally turned on my lights instead.
Try that and live in the Mohave Desert. I've owned my Mazda 3 for 3.5 years and still never can remember how to use them when I want to clear the windshield. It's seldom rained, now I seldon drive. I bet the next time I drive in a rain that the wipers are melted to the glass. HAhahhaHAhaa. It was 111*F today.
Old 08-24-11, 07:10 PM
dygituljunky

Bikes: Giant Sedona (Mid 90's), Giant Seek 2, Greenspeed Anura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...you can tell which side of the bike your grocery bag is hanging from by the number of honks and get-off-the-roads you get.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
And has anyone here actually gotten a speeding ticket on their bike? I would proudly frame that...
A friend of mine claims to have gotten such a citation and, if I recall correctly, he has it framed. His souvenir was provided by the City of Atlanta Police Department.
Old 08-24-11, 07:20 PM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A guy I work with lives 100 yards from me. We left work at the same time today. I beat him home. 7 miles. And it was 111F outside on the way home.
Old 08-24-11, 08:29 PM
Powerarranger
Arranger Power

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You arrive home from work covered in welts from the thunderstorm you rode through with ice-cube sized hailstones...yep, it hurt like hell, but it was freaking amazing!
Old 08-25-11, 06:38 AM
emveezee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You ride your bike to work 16 miles roundtrip for a week with a foot that is broken, that you don't know is broken, because it's easier than walking and taking the train. On the day you finally see a doctor who confirms it's broken and orders you to wear a boot and use crutches immediately, you had already ridden your bike to work. So, you buy some bungees for 99 cents at the hardware store, and strap the crutches to your bike, figuring one last easy ride, favoring the broken foot, in order to get your bike home. With 6 miles to go, you get a flat, and don't have a proper repair kit. You then uses your handlebars and good front tire as a crutch to hobble over to the nearest train. People look at you like you're crazy hopping down the subway steps on one foot with a bike and crutches over your shoulder.
Old 08-25-11, 06:50 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 95 Posts
When you welcome rain so you can test drive new tyres to see how they perform...
Old 08-25-11, 08:00 AM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Powerarranger
You arrive home from work covered in welts from the thunderstorm you rode through with ice-cube sized hailstones...yep, it hurt like hell, but it was freaking amazing!
Riding in a thunderstorm is badass. Completely foolhardy, but badass. That said I've ridden through two of them myself and outran a third so far this summer.
Old 08-25-11, 05:26 PM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
When you welcome rain so you can test drive new tyres to see how they perform...
or to test drive new rain-gear... or new panniers.... or new footwear... or new cameras... or new sunglasses...
Old 08-25-11, 05:30 PM
MikeyBoyAz
Middle-Aged Member

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV 2014, TREK HIFI 2011, Argon18 E-116 2013

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
You come around a corner in the dark and hit a dog, causing you to fly headfirst onto the asphalt, after which you get up, straighten out your handlebars and ride to the YMCA where you wash off the blood in the shower and apply the bandages that the staff has on hand, before you ride on to work the day before your regular medical checkup where you will find that your thumb is broken. Then you ride the rest of the winter with your hand in a cast trying to keep it from freezing since a glove won't fit over it.
That my friend IS hardcore.
Old 08-25-11, 07:41 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You forgot the engine in your truck crapped out last Spring and you have to drive to get gravel and no truck. DOH
Old 08-25-11, 08:00 PM
reducedfatoreo

Bikes: Old Cannondales: '85 ST400, '85 ST500, '85 SR900, '01 R600 CAAD4

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by emveezee
You ride your bike to work 16 miles roundtrip for a week with a foot that is broken, that you don't know is broken, because it's easier than walking and taking the train. On the day you finally see a doctor who confirms it's broken and orders you to wear a boot and use crutches immediately, you had already ridden your bike to work. So, you buy some bungees for 99 cents at the hardware store, and strap the crutches to your bike, figuring one last easy ride, favoring the broken foot, in order to get your bike home. With 6 miles to go, you get a flat, and don't have a proper repair kit. You then uses your handlebars and good front tire as a crutch to hobble over to the nearest train. People look at you like you're crazy hopping down the subway steps on one foot with a bike and crutches over your shoulder.
Also badass
Old 08-26-11, 11:07 AM
shizzy

Bikes: Trek 4300, 85 Schwinn LeTour, Schwinn Link

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's been so long since you have driven your truck, you find yourself trying to unclip your left foot from the clutch pedal when coming up to red lights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.