Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Record Pista Crankset on Wabi Classic or Kilo WT?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 04:53 PM
Tiestotti

Bikes: Mercier Kilo WT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts

Hello everyone. I wanna get a SS frameset, and my two top choices are the Mercier Kilo WT and the Wabi Classic. Basically what I am looking for is a steel frameset with bottle cage mounts and wide tire clearance. That is why I have my two choices.

My top choice would be the Classic based on all the reviews. However, a guy from Wabi cycles told me that they usually recommend against installing Campy cranksets on the Classic due to a Q factor measurement. I currently own a Campagnolo Record Pista crankset and Bottom Bracket, and would love to use them on my future bike. I sent him the numbers he asked for, and I am still waiting on a reply back.

So, has anyone successfully installed a Campagnolo Record Pista crankset and BB on a Wabi classic or a Mercier Kilo WT? I would love to know if I can, otherwise I would have to move on from my beloved crankset. Thanks!
Old 12-04-18, 05:22 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
C
Originally Posted by Tiestotti
Hello everyone. I wanna get a SS frameset, and my two top choices are the Mercier Kilo WT and the Wabi Classic. Basically what I am looking for is a steel frameset with bottle cage mounts and wide tire clearance. That is why I have my two choices.

My top choice would be the Classic based on all the reviews. However, a guy from Wabi cycles told me that they usually recommend against installing Campy cranksets on the Classic due to a Q factor measurement. I currently own a Campagnolo Record Pista crankset and Bottom Bracket, and would love to use them on my future bike. I sent him the numbers he asked for, and I am still waiting on a reply back.

So, has anyone successfully installed a Campagnolo Record Pista crankset and BB on a Wabi classic or a Mercier Kilo WT? I would love to know if I can, otherwise I would have to move on from my beloved crankset. Thanks!
I’m not sure why a pista crankset wouldn’t fit on the frame. When mentioning qfactor, is he referring to clearence between the crankarms and the chainstays? Assuming too close? you could consider a slightly longer bottom bracket spindle. I’m just not sure why there should be any issue, unless the crankset was meant for a 110mm spaced frame. If I’m understanding your problem correctly though, the answer is with the bottom bracket. Of course a longer spindle, will likely give you a spot of trouble getting a ‘perfect’ chainline.

without more specific info, I’m not sure how else I can help, but I will say that the wabi is a much better frame for the money than the mercier. So much nicer in fact, that I’d buy the wabi even if I absolutely had to use a different crank.
Old 12-04-18, 05:30 PM
Tiestotti

I think that’s what he meant also. He had me measure the crank arms from outside to outside and inside to inside, and that last number was roughly 104/105 mm. So I don’t know if the crank arms will strike the chainstays. The BB spindle is already 111mm, so I am sure anything longer will affect the chainline later on. I hear you on the Classic, I just want to be completely sure that I need to buy a new crankset before I buy it.

Last edited by Tiestotti; 12-04-18 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 06:58 PM
j_e_r_e_m_y

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 32 Posts

I think you'd be fine with Campy cranks on a Wabi - this guy was: https://us.letgo.com/en/i/wabi-speci...e-21d8e41725ee
Old 12-05-18, 03:05 AM
20t
spinner

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Last edited by 20t; 03-29-23 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 04:36 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

I think that’s what he meant also. He had me measure the crank arms from outside to outside and inside to inside, and that last number was roughly 104/105 mm. So I don’t know if the crank arms will strike the chainstays. The BB spindle is already 111mm, so I am sure anything longer will affect the chainline later on. I hear you on the Classic, I just want to be completely sure that I need to buy a new crankset before I buy it.
take this with a grain of salt mate, but my gut instinct tells me that your wabi gut may be misinformed. However, you should realistically want the crankarms to sit as close to the stays as possible, without striking. It’s highly unlikely that a frame like the wabi would flex so much as to cause that, and I don’t think on a 111mm spindle it will have an issue clearing. No offence, but I doubt you could put the kind of tourque down, required to cause that kind of flex. I have a dura ace 7400 road crank on my ss, it sits on a 112mm spindle. The arms sit very very close, but I’ve never had an issue.

my personal advice, and again the salt and whatnot, but if I were in your shoes I would still buy the wabi. There’s no common sense reason why your crankset wouldn’t work, or at least be made to work. Worst case scenario, your better off with the better frame and a different crank, than a cool crank and an inferior frame. Plus, if you had to, you could get a pretty penny for the crank anyway.

id bet a pay check that it mounts up just fine though.
Old 12-05-18, 08:44 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Two possibilities:
1- Wabi is right and their frame is designed stupidly.
2- Wabi is wrong and they don't know what they're talking about.

Either way, I wouldn't buy one.
Old 12-05-18, 10:26 AM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by j_e_r_e_m_y
I think you'd be fine with Campy cranks on a Wabi - this guy was:
sweet! I wrote him asking about his bike, hopefully he replies. Thanks!
Old 12-05-18, 10:28 AM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by 20t
I believe the wabi is limited to a 32mm tire. I’ve got 45mm on my WT right now.
yea although 45mm sounds sweet, I think 32mm will suit my needs. So it’s still not too bad IMO.
Old 12-05-18, 10:36 AM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by seamuis

take this with a grain of salt mate, but my gut instinct tells me that your wabi gut may be misinformed. However, you should realistically want the crankarms to sit as close to the stays as possible, without striking. It’s highly unlikely that a frame like the wabi would flex so much as to cause that, and I don’t think on a 111mm spindle it will have an issue clearing. No offence, but I doubt you could put the kind of tourque down, required to cause that kind of flex. I have a dura ace 7400 road crank on my ss, it sits on a 112mm spindle. The arms sit very very close, but I’ve never had an issue.

my personal advice, and again the salt and whatnot, but if I were in your shoes I would still buy the wabi. There’s no common sense reason why your crankset wouldn’t work, or at least be made to work. Worst case scenario, your better off with the better frame and a different crank, than a cool crank and an inferior frame. Plus, if you had to, you could get a pretty penny for the crank anyway.

id bet a pay check that it mounts up just fine though.
Yea there’s no way I have enough to make the frame flex, so I am not worried about that. In a perfect world, I would have both the Wabi and my crankset, so it will be worth a shot. And you’re right, another crankset will definitely work if I can’t make it work. Thanks!
Old 12-05-18, 11:16 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Be wary of Wabi's sizing advice. It is based more on what they have in stock than what will actual fit you.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from getting a Wabi. Just know what you want/need ahead of time, that's all.

-Tim-
Old 12-05-18, 12:14 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by j_e_r_e_m_y
I think you'd be fine with Campy cranks on a Wabi - this guy was: https://us.letgo.com/en/i/wabi-speci...e-21d8e41725ee
Was seriously considering putting Campy Records on my Kilo tt. Are you using this bike for the road or a velodrome? From what I understand the Campy record bb doesn't have seals. Was wondering what your experience has been with that.

Dave
Old 12-05-18, 04:14 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

No seals on the Record bottom bracket so I chose not to use it on the road.

I'm using a Campy Centaur 111mm bottom bracket with the Pista crankset. I think it is the asymmetrical version.

It was nearly new from BikeRecyclery.com

I have the campy tool if you need it.
Old 12-06-18, 04:27 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Dammit - late to the party again...

Well Tiestotti - whatever the guys at Wabi, or any know-it-alls here tell you - it is an actual-factual, documented on the interwebz...errr...fact, that recent production model Campag Record Pista cranksets do indeed have a low Q factor. In fact - it is also the case with some of their other later-model cranks, and is also true of some of their older stuff too.

As for myself...I'm just sitting here wondering that the Scrod-squad, who showed up damn quick to kiss his ass in that new Leader thread, can't seem to remember that himself posted about it here more than once.

Anyway, if you do any research beyond asking here, you will find that most mentioned of the problems occurred on big tube Alu frames with fat chainstays - kind of similar to what happened with some Omnumnums on wrong frames not too long ago.

Yes, you prolly shouldn't have anything to worry about putting your Campy BB into a Wabi frame. But the way the new(?) owners at Wabi answered your question does tell us a lot about them and where they are heading.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
No seals on the Record bottom bracket so I chose not to use it on the road.

I'm using a Campy Centaur 111mm bottom bracket with the Pista crankset. I think it is the asymmetrical version.

It was nearly new from BikeRecyclery.com

I have the campy tool if you need it.
FYI - unlike in the past, the current Campag Record Pista BB now does have "sealed bearings", but IME they are not weather-proof. I rode one daily for lots of miles & wore it out. Moved on to something else that so far I like a lot...

Last edited by IAmSam; 12-06-18 at 06:22 PM. Reason: oops
Old 12-06-18, 07:51 PM
Dougbloch 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I’m sorry I cannot answer your question about the Pista crankset, but having owned both a Kilo TT and a Wabi Special there is no comparison in terms of the ride quality. The Wabi is head and shoulders above.

I am also considering a new crankset on my Wabi to replace the stock ones. Outside of the headset and sub-15 wheelset, the only stock parts on mine.

Old 12-06-18, 08:49 PM
mouse
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IAmSam
Dammit - late to the party again...

Well Tiestotti - whatever the guys at Wabi, or any know-it-alls here tell you - it is an actual-factual, documented on the interwebz...errr...fact, that recent production model Campag Record Pista cranksets do indeed have a low Q factor. In fact - it is also the case with some of their other later-model cranks, and is also true of some of their older stuff too.

As for myself...I'm just sitting here wondering that the Scrod-squad, who showed up damn quick to kiss his ass in that new Leader thread, can't seem to remember that himself posted about it here more than once.

Anyway, if you do any research beyond asking here, you will find that most mentioned of the problems occurred on big tube Alu frames with fat chainstays - kind of similar to what happened with some Omnumnums on wrong frames not too long ago.

Yes, you prolly shouldn't have anything to worry about putting your Campy BB into a Wabi frame. But the way the new(?) owners at Wabi answered your question does tell us a lot about them and where they are heading.

FYI - unlike in the past, the current Campag Record Pista BB now does have "sealed bearings", but IME they are not weather-proof. I rode one daily for lots of miles & wore it out. Moved on to something else that so far I like a lot...
Woaaaaah much anger. LMFAO
Old 12-06-18, 11:37 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I have been educated.

-Tim-
Old 12-07-18, 01:57 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by mouse
Woaaaaah much anger. LMFAO
especially funny since he basically said exactly what the rest of us already said: There shouldn’t be an issue. Contradicting his advice to search beyond asking here on the forum. Long winded nonsense.
Old 12-07-18, 06:38 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis

especially funny since he basically said exactly what the rest of us already said: There shouldn’t be an issue. Contradicting his advice to search beyond asking here on the forum. Long winded nonsense.
Says a know-it-all who bloviated while displaying his ignorance about the Q-factor of said crankset, then punted
Old 12-07-18, 09:06 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Q-factor at the ends of the crank arms isn't the only concern. Chainstay interference with the crank spider can also be an issue.

A maunfacturer will say that it might, could, should, probably, likely, will/won't work but no one is going to guarantee. At the end of the day you are on your own when buying a frame.
Old 12-07-18, 09:09 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Says a know-it-all who bloviated while displaying his ignorance about the Q-factor of said crankset, then punted
some big words without any credence. The use of the term qfactor in the original post was vague, so I asked for confirmation for the sake of proper advice, because when talking about fitting a crank, the term ‘clearance’ is more commonly used to refer to the space between the crank arm and the chainstays. In this case, the term ‘qfactor’ doesn’t even properly apply. So my question doesn’t equal ignorance, it equals diligence. You make an assumption on my knowledge without any evidence one way or the other. How exactly did I punt? I provided all the help I could based on the initial information. Then I followed up, when the OP attempted to provide more info. Your response is utter nonsense. Literally all you offered was a long winded self contradiction that provided literally nothing more than what I initially said. Which is that it should work fine. Nice try though. It’s clear I struck a nerve. That’s two useless posts from you in this thread. Cheers, mate.
Old 12-07-18, 02:20 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,656 Posts
Let's try to get back on topic please. You guys can take it up over PM if you want keep taking stabs at each other.
Old 12-11-18, 08:15 PM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by Dougbloch
I’m sorry I cannot answer your question about the Pista crankset, but having owned both a Kilo TT and a Wabi Special there is no comparison in terms of the ride quality. The Wabi is head and shoulders above.

I am also considering a new crankset on my Wabi to replace the stock ones. Outside of the headset and sub-15 wheelset, the only stock parts on mine.

great, thanks for the advice. What size tires are you running on your Wabi?