Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are these Kool Stop canti replaceable pads just a fever dream mirage?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-20, 08:51 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts

The kool stop web site has em on their overview page but the link goes to the ones for v brakes.

https://www.koolstop.com/english/rim_pads.html

I need smooth post for cantis coming as a brake holder with replaceable pad inserts.

Does this thing exist as a Kool Stop product or am I dreaming?
Old 05-02-20, 09:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
These pads have a aggressive portion and a less so section. Do you seek that? Or just Kook Stop smooth pads? Andy
Old 05-02-20, 09:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
They do make a Cross Brake Pad with smooth post and triple compound. Their part number is: KS-CXCT. You can order it at your local shop quite easily

If you are looking for that length Jagwire's Mountain Pro Cantilever Pads (and shoes) are a great choice and one could easily replace the pads on with Kool Stop. Their part number is JS919V

I cannot access the Kool Stop website at this time. Not sure what is going on.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-02-20, 09:11 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Only in “cyclocross” style - Shorter than the Mountain version.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=31464
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 05-02-20, 10:00 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
They exist, well at least they were made, code is

KS-TECCT

https://www.walmart.com/ip/BRAKE-PAD...ONIC/132523575
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 05-02-20, 11:37 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
I'll vouch for the Universal Cycles link above. They use KoolStop Dura or Dura2 Pads. I installed some pads suitable for carbon rims just so I could run an ENVE wheelset on a vintage '70's bike for proof-of-concept.

That bike has aluminum rims & salmon pads now.
Buy 'em. They're real.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-03-20, 06:36 AM
rseeker

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
These pads have a aggressive portion and a less so section. Do you seek that? Or just Kook Stop smooth pads? Andy
What I need is better braking performance in all weather including wet and dirty and occasional mud without wearing out my rims any more than I have to, with the brakes I have and the rims I have.

I think we've had three or four threads lately asking about cantis, and someone mentioned that if you get pad holders plus inserts it's easier because you don't have to completely readjust your cantis when you change pads, you just pop the insert in, which sounds like a win.

The braking surface on my rims works ok when it's dry but when it's wet it's not super great, especially if there's dirt or grit in the mix, as there often is. All my routes involve hills including the steep entrance into my neighborhood. We've had rain essentially every other day since January 1. I have other priorities than new rims right now and I'd like these rims to last until next year if possible. So the idea of plow tips, grippy compounds and larger/longer pad surfaces sounds good.

I was planning on trying Kook Stop front and Jagwire rear for a couple weeks, then swapping front for back and seeing if I can tell any difference.

Also, shopping around, I see lots of "out of stock" and "back-ordered" on brake pads, and I feel like I ought to lay in a couple sets now.

About the dual compound, I'm ashamed to say I like the way they'd look on my bike. Pure salmon would be fine though.

Anyway, to sum up, that one I pictured above would be ideal but I don't see a source for it. If I can't get that I'll just go with one of the other options you all gave. And thanks for that.
Old 05-03-20, 07:06 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
About the dual compound, I'm ashamed to say I like the way they'd look on my bike. Pure salmon would be fine though.
When was the last time you noticed the color of the brake pads on anyone else's bike?

After the pads have been used for a day or two, particularly in the rain, they will all be the same gray color no matter what they started out looking like. Get the pure Salmon. They will work better in wet conditions and be easier on your rims.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 05-08-20, 05:52 PM
rseeker

For the record, Performance Bike says the Kook Stop smooth post canti pad (pure salmon one-piece, non-cartridge) is discontinued.

https://www.performancebike.com/kool...-mtcsa/p345721

Maybe they just mean discontinued by Performance.

Anyway, striking out so far finding these Kook Stops. I still have the dual compound, the KS Eagle and Jagwire as options.

Last edited by rseeker; 05-08-20 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-08-20, 09:04 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Your other option is to get Jagwire pads and replace the inserts with Kool Stops.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...60&category=36
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 05-15-20, 01:33 AM
rseeker

Thanks @aggiegrads that's what I'm doing. I ordered what may be the last pair of KS smooth post mountain pads in the US last night, from Performance. They could only give me one pair, not two, and only dual compound. If there's a cache of salmon somewhere in the US supply chain I'm not seeing it.

I also got the Jagwire holders and the black inserts they come with. Later on, if we still have the internet and global commerce and the Walking Dude isn't reigning in Vegas I'll pick up the KS inserts.
Old 05-15-20, 08:13 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
Yokozuna makes decent brake pads & holder also. Yokozuna says they use the old Scott-Mathauser compound,so good stuff

https://www.yokozunausa.com/shop/pro...15&search=yoko
Likes For mtbikerjohn:
Old 05-15-20, 02:21 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Just in case you want to get really fancy: https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...s-brake-shoes/

$34 for the holders and another $24 for a pair of pads... But the pads will last a lot longer because they're so much thicker.
Likes For FastJake: