Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Electric bikes taking over my city!!!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Electric bikes taking over my city!!!

Old 02-26-21, 09:34 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
E-bikes. Last one I encountered was going up an 8% grade at about 25 mph while I guess he was soft pedaling at about 40 rpm. Yeah, what a great workout he must have had. To me more power to you if you need one for whatever reason. For me, if I wanted a motorcycle, I would buy one that I could put my sweety on comfortably for day tours.
That would be a very powerful e bike at full throttle to do that. That is even above moped territory.
Old 02-26-21, 09:47 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
E-bikes. Last one I encountered was going up an 8% grade at about 25 mph while I guess he was soft pedaling at about 40 rpm. Yeah, what a great workout he must have had. To me more power to you if you need one for whatever reason. For me, if I wanted a motorcycle, I would buy one that I could put my sweety on comfortably for day tours.
I usually seem them going maybe 20 uphill slowly peddling. I usually am in a low assist level on my mid drive to keep my heart rate up. but they I may crank it up and pass them at 20 but thats some work to do that but fun as hell. we were on our e tandem and we cruise around 18.5 mph right at where the motor cuts off. this guy on a rad using his throttle could not quite pass us. so he had to start peddling. then he had to keep peddling . poor guy made him work hard (G) my heart rate was about 120 I bet his was 80.
Old 02-26-21, 09:53 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

If someone got onto an e bike and was expecting a motorcycle, they would throw the e bike into the nearest dumpster as a total failure. It would not check any of the acceptable boxes for a motorcycle. And the price would seem outlandish An e bike won't even check the acceptable boxes for a scooter. If you want anything resembling a motorcycle you'd best look elsewhere because even a powerful e bike won't cut it. The bastard child moped won't check the acceptable boxes for either a bike or a motorcycle, totally worthless.
Old 02-27-21, 09:15 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
In our ride group we have one gentleman who’s physical condition and age was keeping him from participating in most of our rides over 20 miles. He invested in an E-bike and we are happy to have him with us on longer and more difficult rides.
He doesn’t pretend that he’s suddenly become a better cyclist and we don’t mind that he’s riding with significant assistance. Enjoy your friends and your ride.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 02-27-21, 05:39 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
I know what it feels like to hit the pavement at less than 20 or 25 mph. It should get interesting hearing the outcome of putting folks who can't, for whatever reason, ride a proper bike, on what is realistically a hybrid scooter, and let them hit the open road. Get the popcorn.
Likes For Outrider1:
Old 02-27-21, 06:01 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
I know what it feels like to hit the pavement at less than 20 or 25 mph. It should get interesting hearing the outcome of putting folks who can't, for whatever reason, ride a proper bike, on what is realistically a hybrid scooter, and let them hit the open road. Get the popcorn.
A hybrid scooter? Scooters you don't pedal you kick them or just have a throttle. A bicycle is not a scooter. A throttled machine is not a bike. An E-bike doesn't have a throttle you pedal it and it does give you assistance realistically unless you have illegally modified it can only go 28mph with the assist however most riders are probably not going to be doing that and I am sure the stories we here from people are greatly exaggerated to make their own lower speed seem greater for no real good reason. I doubt someone was soft pedaling 25mph up a hill even on your highest assist that is a tough thing to do and as someone who has ridden a lot of e-bikes I know what soft pedaling up a hill entails and I have never gotten that much speed I certainly was not just going 5mph or something but I wasn't racing along at 25. That takes a bit more pedaling to do that or you need some sort of motorcycle or moped which would be throttled which could easily be soft pedaled up a hill like that.
Old 02-27-21, 06:48 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if a license & permit (like an ORV license & ORV trail permit) will be mandated for EB's
Old 02-27-21, 07:03 PM
KPREN

Originally Posted by Troul
It wouldn't surprise me if a license & permit (like an ORV license & ORV trail permit) will be mandated for EB's
Many jurisdictions have required bicycles to be registered for a long time. Its often not enforced.
Old 02-27-21, 07:20 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by KPREN
Many jurisdictions have required bicycles to be registered for a long time. Its often not enforced.
it'll be easy revenue for the LEOs to charge the EBs.
Old 02-27-21, 08:17 PM
KPREN

it'll be easy revenue for the LEOs to charge the EBs.
its certainly likely that a few jurisdictions will try that but the current tide is favoring e bikes and access.
Old 02-27-21, 08:22 PM
Troul 

its certainly likely that a few jurisdictions will try that but the current tide is favoring e bikes and access.
if a EB rubs a Karen the wrong way, you'll see an invert of support.
Old 02-28-21, 12:28 PM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
We need something like that to counter the proliferation of ebikes.
Old 02-28-21, 12:58 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
In my experience, the ebikes go about as fast as the sporty people on road bikes. I don't see a problem.
Old 02-28-21, 01:08 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
If someone got onto an e bike and was expecting a motorcycle, they would throw the e bike into the nearest dumpster as a total failure. It would not check any of the acceptable boxes for a motorcycle. And the price would seem outlandish
That's because you overpaid compared to someone with such goals. Increasingly the devices actually on the road claiming to fit under an e-bike registration exemption (overwhelmingly dominating in ubran areas, but common elsewhere too) - are pretty much exactly early 1900's heritage motorcycle designs, redone with electric motors.