Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saying Hey to my fellow "seasoned" riders

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-03-21, 07:13 PM
HotLap

Bikes: 2016 TREK Domane 4.5 Disc/2006 Marin Mt. Vision/2009 TREK Madone 4.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Hello all, hit 62 last July and still going strong on my various bicycles. Recently retired/relocated and had gotten out of riding, (left all my riding buddies behind), and my new area is not a very cycling friendly area - yet, (in touch with CA DOT District 5 to include our area <Guadalupe, CA> in bike & pedestrian lane discussions). Current rides: 2016 TREK Domane 4.5 disc road bike, 2006 Marin Mt. Vision Pro MTB and just picked up a brand new Diamondback Release 3 MTB yesterday. Have ridden many miles in past 20 years, including organized rides (Centuries, Metric Centuries, half centuries, etc.) Haven't been on this forum since 2016, (not sure why - as such a great forum), but wanted to say hello and check in with all of you.

Did my first 25 miles on the new DB today and it's amazing how much MTB's have progressed in the past 14 years. Found a new cycling buddy here in the neighborhood and we've been riding for the past couple of weeks. Makes such a difference riding with a friend vs solo.

Anyway, happy trails to everyone and look forward to participating in this most excellent forum again,

Old dude on a bike
Likes For HotLap:
Old 03-04-21, 01:58 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
I'm well seasoned. just an old turkey here.
Lots of road bikes, a few city bikes, more than a couple varieties of mountain bikes, tandem, beach cruiser.
I tinker widely.
Old 03-04-21, 03:11 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
Originally Posted by HotLap
Hello all, hit 62 last July and still going strong on my various bicycles. Recently retired/relocated and had gotten out of riding, (left all my riding buddies behind), and my new area is not a very cycling friendly area - yet, (in touch with CA DOT District 5 to include our area <Guadalupe, CA> in bike & pedestrian lane discussions). Current rides: 2016 TREK Domane 4.5 disc road bike, 2006 Marin Mt. Vision Pro MTB and just picked up a brand new Diamondback Release 3 MTB yesterday. Have ridden many miles in past 20 years, including organized rides (Centuries, Metric Centuries, half centuries, etc.) Haven't been on this forum since 2016, (not sure why - as such a great forum), but wanted to say hello and check in with all of you.

Did my first 25 miles on the new DB today and it's amazing how much MTB's have progressed in the past 14 years. Found a new cycling buddy here in the neighborhood and we've been riding for the past couple of weeks. Makes such a difference riding with a friend vs solo.

Anyway, happy trails to everyone and look forward to participating in this most excellent forum again,

Old dude on a bike
since it seems like you're in the guadalupe area...have you hit point sal lately? is it open now? last time up there (approx two years ago) approach road to point sal
from pch was closed about two miles from pch and rife with road construction. road to point sal from casmalia has been closed for a long time now. looks like you need
military access from that corridor/side.

in town, i fear you're right. not much within an easy ride. but within a 20 min drive or hour's ride, possibilities begin to open up in a huge way. regardless, i will say that
the greenery of springtime casts your area in the best of lights. would love to get up there again this spring but i think the closest i'll get is the carrizo plain national monument.

Last edited by diphthong; 03-04-21 at 03:19 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 03-05-21, 04:20 PM
HotLap

Bikes: 2016 TREK Domane 4.5 Disc/2006 Marin Mt. Vision/2009 TREK Madone 4.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
since it seems like you're in the guadalupe area...have you hit point sal lately? is it open now? last time up there (approx two years ago) approach road to point sal
from pch was closed about two miles from pch and rife with road construction. road to point sal from casmalia has been closed for a long time now. looks like you need

in town, i fear you're right. not much within an easy ride. but within a 20 min drive or hour's ride, possibilities begin to open up in a huge way. regardless, i will say that
the greenery of springtime casts your area in the best of lights. would love to get up there again this spring but i think the closest i'll get is the carrizo plain national monument.
Good news is that Brown Rd. from PCH to Point Sal is now fully open. I ride from my house to the Point Sal trailhead and back couple times a week...but it is posted that no bicycles are allowed on Point Sal trail (IIRC)? Carrizo Plain...you come up to see the wildflowers in Spring and do you cycle in the area? Only ask as I was just checking out the Carrizo Plain area (Soda Lake) for a possible trip this Spring. Just now checking out the MTB trails here in the Central Coast and went out to Orcutt Hills (near Rich Ranch) area yesterday, some nice downhill single track runs. Must admit it's been quite some time since I did any aggressive single track riding, so I was taking it easy getting the feel for the new MTB, being on the trails again , etc...but darn it felt fantastic, was smiling the rest of of the day...

Cheers!!
Likes For HotLap:
Old 03-06-21, 01:13 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by HotLap
Good news is that Brown Rd. from PCH to Point Sal is now fully open. I ride from my house to the Point Sal trailhead and back couple times a week...but it is posted that no bicycles are allowed on Point Sal trail (IIRC)? Carrizo Plain...you come up to see the wildflowers in Spring and do you cycle in the area? Only ask as I was just checking out the Carrizo Plain area (Soda Lake) for a possible trip this Spring. Just now checking out the MTB trails here in the Central Coast and went out to Orcutt Hills (near Rich Ranch) area yesterday, some nice downhill single track runs. Must admit it's been quite some time since I did any aggressive single track riding, so I was taking it easy getting the feel for the new MTB, being on the trails again , etc...but darn it felt fantastic, was smiling the rest of of the day...

Cheers!!
like to do carrizo plain every spring during the week. i can always count the amount of people/cars i see on two hands within the monument during the week.
have always ridden it on a road bike-tires varying between '23's-'28's. sometimes the '23's are fine...other times...i think a mtn bike is overkill and a road bike is
underpowered. a gravel bike would be best if you've got one.
Old 03-07-21, 04:03 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Glad to have you active here and on the bike. It’s a great way to put life in your life.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 03-07-21, 10:07 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga

There's supposed to be lots of spots in and around SLO and Santa MAria, mostly of dirt roads or farm roads outside of the cities. Drop into the local bike shops and see what info they can give you. If all you have is a dedicated road bicycle you might have to get something a little more robust for all the dirt roads and off-trail stuff in the local hills around there. Have you tried going up to the Pismo/Avila Beach area, then up to SLO before making a return ride the same way? or go south to Lompoc, over to Solvang/Santa Ynez, then back up to Guadalupe? There's also areas up in the hills (mentioned before).
Old 03-08-21, 01:58 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

i usually consult this page before riding in the giant area. has been good for some routes/ideas.

Rides - SLOBC
Old 03-08-21, 09:53 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked 5,578 Times in 2,895 Posts
WELCOME back to your true love. I left cycling for about 12 years and returning was one of the best decisions I made. Bet you wont regret it.