Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 02-23-21, 10:09 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
'Major' problem? Meh. If you want to go on a world tour on your Moulton AM, rebuild the wheels with 18" rims and use Schwalbe Marathons in ISO40-355. Or perhaps you could rebuild with ISO349 rims; some Alex Moulton owners have.

I haven't looked into this: possibilities of using other perhaps more common/more available rim/tire sizes on the Helix?
ETRTO355 is 14mm smaller in diameter, the brake pad must be lowered by 7mm, not always possible.

I am not sure that 40mm wide tires will be compatible with the brake calipers used on Moulton AM. There are few narrow tires in ETRTO355, there is a Panaracer almost impossible to find outside Asia or the... 32x355 Kojak !

There are more tire options in ETRTO349, since the Brompton tire size is 35x349, assuming that the brake calipers accept 35mm wide tires and that the brake pads can be lowered by 10mm.

I changed the wheel size of my Birdy, I have two sets, one in ETRTO349 and another in ETRTO406 but its a Birdy disc, so no brake problems.

The same apply for Helix which also uses disc brakes, it is surely possible to use wheels in ETRTO406 or ETRTO451 or even ETRTO520 with the easiest available Schwalbe One 23x520 (that replaces he Durano 23x520 and is the only tire in ETRTO520 of Schwalbe).
Old 02-23-21, 12:04 PM
mkatz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesandrew
@ Mkatz: The signs are that Helix will continue in production and that all backers and preorderers will receive their bikes. Even with the resolution of the current safety issue still outstanding, I'm firmly convinced that production will continue and that the bike has a future. Helix can't sell bikes without tyres, so they have to ensure a supply is available. The worst case is that you have to always buy tyres direct from Helix if no one else is making them available. As long as you don't mind mail ordering (Internationally?) and are not too pernickety about having the perfect tyre for your needs then you should get a Helix. Another backer has compiled the list below of tyres which are apparently available at the moment: Note that even at the current low level of production Helix have apparently enough purchasing power to obtain batches from Kenda and Donnelly.
some ETRTO-507 tyres for Helix
Kenda Small Block Eight
https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/...-eight-pro-cx/
Part No: 212550 24x1.50 38-507 85psi
seems it can be only ordered through Peter

Kenda Happy Medium Pro
https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/...medium-pro-cx/
Part No: 212504 24x1.125 32-507 85psi
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...yclocross-tire

RITEWAY (these are what I am using)
https://www.riteway-jp.com/pa/013407.html
24 X 1.35", 75psi, Japanese brand, Taiwan made
https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B07Q1S7BNX/

Donnelly MXP 24 x 32 (1.25)
https://www.donnellycycling.com/coll...31327135826033
https://www.cantitoeroad.com/Donnell...ize_p_970.html
https://www.amazon.com/DONNELLY-Donn.../dp/B075QML4ZH
https://www.store.pronetcycling.com/...tire-p858.aspx (back order)

??Islabikes 24"
https://www.islabikes.co.uk/collecti...24x1-02-26-507
26-507
from https://helix.ca/admin/user/forum/sh...dID=1000013597

and some BMX tyres

Kenda Konversion Pro
https://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/...onversion-pro/
Part no: 212258 24x1.5 40-507 100psi
https://shop.kendatire.com/Konversion-p/212484.htm

??VEE BMX MK3
https://veetireco.com/product/bmx-mk3/
Part no: B28912 24×1.50 40-507 100psi
Part no: B28909 24×1.00 25-507 80psi

??VEE BMX Speedster
https://veetireco.com/product/bmx-speedster/
Part no: B31645 24×1.50 40-507 100psi
Part no: B316339 24×1.50 40-507 100psi
some different colors
https://www.eciimports.com/product_i...oducts_id/7904
https://www.eciimports.com/product_i...oducts_id/7901
https://www.eciimports.com/product_i...oducts_id/7900

Though some of the listed tires are marked on sites as being "out of stock", this post, for me, has been very helpful. Thank you!

Also, fortuitously, as a result of my delayed decision making a new Helix purchase option has become available with an 11-speed (9-42) cassette and derailleur, providing in a wider gear ratio than the 10 speed. In somewhat hilly Portland, Oregon, this will be helpful.

I've placed my order.
Old 02-24-21, 02:49 PM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Air Travel: Has anyone tried traveling by commercial airliner with their Helix? Experience packing the bike into a hard suitcase?

Now that I've placed my order I've moved onto contemplating usage while waiting for delivery. (and adding options... gives me something else to do during the pandemic)

The order I've placed is for the standard model (rather than the lightweight one). I chose the 11 speed Derailleur, thinking of how much I struggled riding uphill when last I rode.
Old 02-24-21, 04:32 PM
mingo

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mkatz
Air Travel: Has anyone tried traveling by commercial airliner with their Helix? Experience packing the bike into a hard suitcase?

Now that I've placed my order I've moved onto contemplating usage while waiting for delivery. (and adding options... gives me something else to do during the pandemic)

The order I've placed is for the standard model (rather than the lightweight one). I chose the 11 speed Derailleur, thinking of how much I struggled riding uphill when last I rode.
I haven't seen anyone post anything on the Helix forum about traveling by air with one. Some have tried to find something suitable but nothing seems to come in under the 62" linear inch limit for standard suitcases without additional fees. Helix in the past had posted a CAD design of a Helix suitcase which basically cut the corners around the wheels which I think is how you will get to 62".

When do you expect to receive your bike?

I'm a kickstarter backer and after 5 years of waiting, I think I will be selling my pledge and moving on as I no longer need this bike and travel with my Brompton instead.

As you can see, by angling the corners around the wheels, and that's how you get to 62" is my guess.

Last edited by mingo; 02-24-21 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-24-21, 05:35 PM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mingo
I haven't seen anyone post anything on the Helix forum about traveling by air with one. Some have tried to find something suitable but nothing seems to come in under the 62" linear inch limit for standard suitcases without additional fees. Helix in the past had posted a CAD design of a Helix suitcase which basically cut the corners around the wheels which I think is how you will get to 62".

When do you expect to receive your bike?

I'm a kickstarter backer and after 5 years of waiting, I think I will be selling my pledge and moving on as I no longer need this bike and travel with my Brompton instead.

As you can see, by angling the corners around the wheels, and that's how you get to 62" is my guess.

Bike is scheduled for June.

Nice mock-up: I'd hate to carry that thing on my back for any distance!

The main reason I eliminated consideration of the Brompton is that I found it to be too reactive during a test run a few years back (and hated the transmission system, a matter that a bit of additional investment could fix). The Helix is the only other bike that folds reasonably flat, a property I want for placement in the back of my car.
Old 02-24-21, 06:44 PM
mingo

This is just a mock up and who knows what the final product will look like, but the point is I think angling the corners of this custom case is how you get to 62 linear inches, so I don't think it will fit in an off the shelf suitcase and still be within the required measurement.

I'm sure the Helix with it's bigger wheels rides better than the Brompton, but I have taken several trips to the Netherlands, France, UK and Spain with my Brompton and it has served me well. I was hoping to do the same with the Helix, but I have no idea when I will have it, so I might as well sell my pledge.
Old 02-25-21, 03:47 AM
Jipe

Yes, the Brompton feel more reactive than other folding bikes, even folding bikes with (almost) the same wheel size like the Birdy.

But its just a matter of get accustomed to that feeling.

I am curious about the "11 speed derailleur (Hong Kong spec)" configuration.

Can you explain what it is ?

You mention a 9-42 cassette, this means that it should have a rear hub with something else than the usual Shimano/SRAM freewheel, is it a XDR freewheel like on the lightweight option ?

What derailleur is used to accept a 9-42 cassette the Dura Ace of the lightweight won't fit (it theoretically already doesn't accept the 9-34 cassette of the lightweight).

Last question for backers having access to the forum: are there any news about the announced front carrier block for Helix ?

For daily use of he bike and even for traveling, a front carrier block+front bag like on the Brompton (and now on the Birdy) is really a must have.

For the suitcase and remaining below the 62" linear inch limit, a solution could be to swap the wheels for ETRTO406 what would also solve the tire problem (besides the Riteway only available in Japan, I do not see any road tire in the list, only cyclocross and BMX tires).
The difficulty to change the wheels is the proprietary front hub.

Last edited by Jipe; 02-25-21 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-25-21, 07:55 AM
mingo

We were supposed to learn about the accessories for Helix "soon", but this hasn't happened; fenders, front mounting block, travel case.. There was a lot of disruption when Helix had to move to a new facility in Nov. / Dec. so deliveries to backers were delayed and no new news on accessories. I hope a 62 linear inch suitcase is possible, as a lot of us want to use it for air travel.
Old 02-25-21, 08:36 AM
Jipe

Was there any picture, drawing or other information published about the front mounting block like for the suitcase so that somebody else could try to make it ?

The lack of any easy luggage transportation (that must not be dismounted each time the bike is folded) is a major problem for a daily/commuter use of Helix.
Old 02-25-21, 10:51 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 121 Posts
In looking at the pictures it appears that there are two bolt lugs in the "head" tube. If someone was handy, they could use those to mount a Brompton block.

Originally Posted by Jipe
Was there any picture, drawing or other information published about the front mounting block like for the suitcase so that somebody else could try to make it ?

The lack of any easy luggage transportation (that must not be dismounted each time the bike is folded) is a major problem for a daily/commuter use of Helix.
Old 02-25-21, 11:51 AM
mingo

Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
In looking at the pictures it appears that there are two bolt lugs in the "head" tube. If someone was handy, they could use those to mount a Brompton block.
Here's what it looks like in the long ago original design

Old 02-25-21, 12:17 PM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, the Brompton feel more reactive than other folding bikes, even folding bikes with (almost) the same wheel size like the Birdy.

But its just a matter of get accustomed to that feeling.

I am curious about the "11 speed derailleur (Hong Kong spec)" configuration.

Can you explain what it is ?

You mention a 9-42 cassette, this means that it should have a rear hub with something else than the usual Shimano/SRAM freewheel, is it a XDR freewheel like on the lightweight option ?

What derailleur is used to accept a 9-42 cassette the Dura Ace of the lightweight won't fit (it theoretically already doesn't accept the 9-34 cassette of the lightweight).
From the Helix website, taken from the Order Page:

https://helix.ca/shop/standard/#second-tab

Rear Hub with XD-R driver Formula RXC-142,135mm x 12mm thru-axle,28h
Rear Derailleur Shimano SLX M7000,Shadow+ 11 Speed
Cassette e13 XCX 11 Speed XD-R (9-42t)
Shifter Shimano SL-M7000 SLX Rapid Fire
Approximate Weight 24.4 lbs (11.1 kg)

The "Hong Kong" reference on the website page derives from the request from a Hong Kong purchaser for a specification revision that would help with hills.
Old 02-26-21, 04:34 AM
Jipe

Thanks for the information.

I as looking in the comparison table between "normal" and "lightweight" that doesn't include the 11s Hong-Kong specs.

Congratulation for your purchase, curious to have your feedback.

Did you order some spare Kwest tires ?
Old 02-26-21, 03:11 PM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the information.

I as looking in the comparison table between "normal" and "lightweight" that doesn't include the 11s Hong-Kong specs.

Congratulation for your purchase, curious to have your feedback.

Did you order some spare Kwest tires ?
11-speed Hong Kong "details" can be seen on the "order page" for the "standard" Helix, with the option having been added to the other three gear trains (alfine 11, single speed and 10 speed). Sorry for the plethora of "quotes", but information provided is a bit limited and my knowledge of modern bike components is somewhat limited. (That's why I ask so many questions!

With respect to extra tires, I ordered 2 each of Kenda inner tubes ), Kenda Kwest 1.5" commuter tires, and Kenda Small Block 8 Pro 1.5" cyclocross tires. (Just in case...). Thinking more about tire choice, I'm not sure that the Kenda Small Block makes sense for me given my envisioned use primarily on street and "bike trails suitable for old guys".

I'm also curious about the
Vee 24 x 1.50" Speedster Foldable Tyre suit 507mm, with respect to whether or not it will fit without interfering with the fold and about its resistance to flats. Tread design seems like a reasonable compromise between street and mild bike trails.

Feedback will come in June (I hope), when the bike is scheduled to be delivered.

With respect to feedback, I wonder what became of the Helix Owners' thread on this forum?
Old 02-26-21, 03:51 PM
Jipe

The pictures of the Helix of Bym with pink VeeTire show that they should fit ?
Old 02-26-21, 04:26 PM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The pictures of the Helix of Bym with pink VeeTire show that they should fit ?
Bye wrote "Vee 24 x 1.5 tires. Some interference occurs when folding. Due to the narrow helix frame, it is difficult to install various tires."

I think the tire Bym pictured was a different Vee model.
Old 03-07-21, 03:59 PM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Two points of curiosity:

What happened to the old Helix owners' thread?

Any Helix owners'/waiters' in the US?
Old 03-07-21, 05:57 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
This is the thread you are thinking about it has just evolved a bit. Roger
Old 03-07-21, 07:01 PM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
This is the thread you are thinking about it has just evolved a bit. Roger
Thanks. I thought I remembered seeing and reading a separate thread labeled "owners", within which posts were primarily those of owners. No matter: I've placed my order.
Old 03-08-21, 04:02 AM
Jonesandrew

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mkatz
Thanks. I thought I remembered seeing and reading a separate thread labeled "owners", within which posts were primarily those of owners. No matter: I've placed my order.
Hi mkatz, You are correct, Ultralight started the owners thread. He(?) was subsequently banned and the thread was removed.
Old 03-08-21, 11:57 AM
Ozonation

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonesandrew
Hi mkatz, You are correct, Ultralight started the owners thread. He(?) was subsequently banned and the thread was removed.
He was banned? I guess that explains why the thread disappeared. I was looking for it a while back, and thought maybe my search skills had declined rapidly!
Old 03-08-21, 02:21 PM
mkatz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It would be nice if someone who currently owns a Helix folding bike would restart the owners' thread. I've ordered one but as yet have nothing but questions to contribute.

It's somewhat of "a pain" to search through 2500+ posts in this thread in a search for tidbits of information about the bike.
Old 03-19-21, 07:11 AM
Bym

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts

Re-welding

Last edited by Bym; 03-19-21 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-21-21, 03:20 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
They had a steerer failure?? I do not understand how that happened after all the years spent on prototyping and testing before bikes were delivered.
Old 03-22-21, 09:13 AM
Jonesandrew

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
They had a steerer failure?? I do not understand how that happened after all the years spent on prototyping and testing before bikes were delivered.
In a nutshell, they say they were focused on the fusion of the metal and overlooked the depth of penetration which did not extend to the root of the joint. Apparently the weld was "almost strong enough" and they got lucky when the ISO testing was carried out. They also say that during in house testing (after the failure happened) some steerers failed but some did not and concluded that sending just a single frame for testing was not enough. This time they're sending 3 frames.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.