Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Not the sexiest of topics, but let's talk bottle cages. What do you recommend?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Not the sexiest of topics, but let's talk bottle cages. What do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-21, 06:45 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
hard to say, I just keep mashing forward.
Old 03-10-21, 07:46 AM
Anna_Sazzi
Extinct

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I got taken out by another rider on a wet, downhill section of road once, and in the crash, broke one of my $70 Lezyne carbon cages. It was a freak accident, but proved how stupid it was for someone of my humble means to spend that kind of money on water bottle cages.
It was good thing maybe that your bottle holder broke and not frame? Plastic cage is bendable like carbon fiber if you wish cheaper.
Old 03-10-21, 08:00 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I use the cheap aluminum "Delta" cages they sell at Dick's Sporting Goods.

One rule: They have to be black. Black goes well with any color of bike and doesn't call attention to itself like a matching-paint colored one would.

I find the bottles get scratched up from the dust that invariably gets between the bottle and the cage. I have a brand new Celeste green bottle I've never used for that reason.... For actual drinking purposes I use Aquafina water bottles from 7-11.
Old 03-10-21, 08:23 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I use Salsa Stainless Steel Nickless Cages on all my bikes.
Old 03-10-21, 08:58 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Looks nice, but it seems like the design would allow it to stretch out over time. Any issues with that?
Old 03-10-21, 09:01 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
For those who run brightly colored cages, do you also match bottles to them? I have a collection of bottles that are all a bit different, and while I usually try to pair them up so that the two bottles match, once they're on the bike I'm not sure the color/style of the cage really matters.

I ask because you nerds have put it in my head that my stainless steel cages look out of place on my carbon bike, so I'm going to buy some new cages. The bike is all black, but I'm also planning on new wheels soon and have been thinking about hubs in some audacious color like lime green or purple or orange. Maybe I should color-match the cages, but then do I have to get new bottles that also match?
Old 03-10-21, 09:11 AM
Danhedonia

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"ThinkTop Ultra-Light Full Carbon Fiber Bicycle Bike Drink Water Bottle Cage" $28 for two. Weighs less than many carbon cages. A few colors. Available all day on Amazon. Durable, hold 23oz. size bottles of different diameter quite well, easy removal/replacement. They look appropriate on a TCR, Emonda and Roubaix (which all sport them now).

Honestly, these are one of those products that once you find them, you don't bother with other stuff. (caveat: for reasons I cannot fully explain to myself, I put alloy cages on my one MTB).
Old 03-10-21, 09:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Looks nice, but it seems like the design would allow it to stretch out over time. Any issues with that?
On my gravel bike, I have some aluminum cages from Lezyne that are very similar in design (and only 10 bucks a pop). They've kept their death grip on my bottles for five or six years.
Old 03-10-21, 09:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
For those who run brightly colored cages, do you also match bottles to them? I have a collection of bottles that are all a bit different, and while I usually try to pair them up so that the two bottles match, once they're on the bike I'm not sure the color/style of the cage really matters.

I ask because you nerds have put it in my head that my stainless steel cages look out of place on my carbon bike, so I'm going to buy some new cages. The bike is all black, but I'm also planning on new wheels soon and have been thinking about hubs in some audacious color like lime green or purple or orange. Maybe I should color-match the cages, but then do I have to get new bottles that also match?
[Nelson laugh] HA ha![/Nelson laugh]

To answer the question: I let the bottles be bottles and only concern myself with the cages matching/complementing the bike.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-10-21, 04:36 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
I don't.
Fabric cageless bottle and cageless tool keg for me:

Old 03-10-21, 05:03 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Nope, no problems with them stretching. I've only had to replace 1 after it got bent out of shape, but that's after it got hit by a concrete block.
Old 03-10-21, 05:10 PM
Koyote

Nope, no problems with them stretching. I've only had to replace 1 after it got bent out of shape, but that's after it got hit by a concrete block.
God, I hate it when that happens.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-10-21, 05:12 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by msu2001la

If you go gonzo on the hubs, I think it's more important to match the bar tape...and the headset, ideally. Or not. The bike will still run just as well.
Old 03-10-21, 05:42 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
King Cage Stainless or Ti. Basically the perfect cages.

If you absolutely insist on a plastic cage:
Modern carbon road bikes: Elite Vico or the cheaper Custom Race Plus which looks and works exactly the same.
Mountain bikes: Specialized Zee Cage or Lezyne Flow, Flow side entry if you don't have the room for either.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 03-10-21, 06:21 PM
Jsg222

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuto
*for road cycling only (no gravel or MBT), so holding force doesn't have to excessive
*easy to insert and remove the newer Camelbak bottles
*looks ummm sexy?
*the lighter the better, but without breaking the budget
*carbon... ?

Suggestions?
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ew, David - metal cages on a modern carbon bike look out of place to me. Wouldn't do it.

I like the Bontrager Elite cages - I've continued to buy them even though I don't have a Trek anymore!

Bottle holding is just about right with the insulated Podiums (which I assume have the same outer diameter as the regular) - not a vice, not a bottle launcher. Available in lots of colors and, at $20, I think that they're reasonably priced for something that you can pick up locally, giving you and opportunity to see and fondle before buying. For $50, the same design is available in carbon fiber in the Pro series.
yes, both are fine elite you can by In your local shop for about 15€ and carbon is around the 50. Highly recommend..
Old 03-11-21, 10:25 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I think the answer is to first, get a metal bike, and then outfit it with King Cage stainless or Ti. Done.

Bottle cage choice should definitely determine what frame material you go with.

Last edited by HarborBandS; 03-11-21 at 05:23 PM.
Likes For HarborBandS:
Old 03-11-21, 04:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts

How is that not sexy? It is made in America from titanium and it is clean and smooth awesome. I have a few of those on different bikes.

Also many of my bikes have cages from Portland Design Works, from Bird to Sparrow to Owl and Lucky Cat and I believe a Good Dog on at least one bike. Not lightweight but really good looking and holds bottles quite well.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-11-21, 11:19 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I use a bird shaped metal cage from Portland design. I know not as sexy as carbon fiber but still like it.

Likes For blue192:
Old 03-13-21, 09:52 AM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
I know the King Cage Iris have a better reputation for durability, but I love how the Velo Orange Moderniste looks. Slightly thinner tubing, a nicer looking mounting plate, and I prefer the bend being on the swoopy bit versus the flat part. Eventually, when I can justify it in my head, I’ll go to those absurdly price Nitto cages, which are the most beautiful.
Old 03-13-21, 10:04 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Rooney
I know the King Cage Iris have a better reputation for durability, but I love how the Velo Orange Moderniste looks. Slightly thinner tubing, a nicer looking mounting plate, and I prefer the bend being on the swoopy bit versus the flat part. Eventually, when I can justify it in my head, I’ll go to those absurdly price Nitto cages, which are the most beautiful.
In the realm of absurd is this Silca set of Ti cages. But at least they also come with 2 Ti drinking straws

https://www.excelsports.com/silca-an...cage-straw-set
Old 03-13-21, 10:05 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
I usually buy the $5.99 Blackburn cages at the local discount sporting goods store. Over all my years of riding I think I've seen 1 start to come apart at one of the welded seams. I've found that over the years between all the bikes I have been given, found etc., there always seems to be a cage attached to the bike. I probably have 8 or 9 cages just sitting in a drawer in my garage. If I was ever to break one I'd just replace it with one from the drawer. There is no way I would pay more than $10 for any cage.
Old 03-13-21, 04:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
I use a bird shaped metal cage from Portland design. I know not as sexy as carbon fiber but still like it.

Looks aero, but does it leave droppings on the tubes?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-13-21, 04:50 PM
Koyote

These people claiming that their $5 and $10 cages have lasted for X number of years are making meaningless claims. Time doesn't matter; distance and heat matter.

My oldest pair of King Cages have traveled over 40,000 miles, and I've lived in some rather hot climates -- so, they've seen a lot of use. And, as noted, I've never had to even bend one back into shape. That's worth twenty bucks apiece to me.
Old 03-14-21, 02:16 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts
On a side note. who do people use for the third cage on the underside of the down tube, on touring bikes?
Old 03-14-21, 03:19 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 246 Posts
Wire style cages are OK for plastic bottles, Gatorade or whatever. I use the short stubby Gatorade ones. I adjusted the fit of a stainless cage, and it wouldn't hold proper after that. For my Kleen Kanteen thermos bottles, ONLY my DIY CF will do. Luckily they are almost the same size.
For a form, I use the thermos with an innertube wrap for extra space. I then have a stick to make a groove for the bolts. Non-stick plastic on both sides of the wet CF. Wait about 25 hours and pull the thermos before it is full hard cured. It takes a really hard pull to get the form out. Trim the top with snips at this time too.
I then put the bottles in a sock and slip it in, a perfect snug fit. Also helps to keep them cool.

Actually, I just bought a new roadster and a new batch of CF supplies to make some more. How I'm going to hide the smell in my apartment is another matter. LOL.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 03-15-21 at 08:35 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.