Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Possible to use 9 speed cassette with an 18 speed 3 chainring mob setup??

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Possible to use 9 speed cassette with an 18 speed 3 chainring mob setup??

Old 03-16-21, 10:27 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Possible to use 9 speed cassette with an 18 speed 3 chainring setup??

I知 still very much a newbie when it comes to bicycle mechanics so be gentle in your responses . I just purchased this old Fuji all terrain bike that is set up to utilize a 6 speed freewheel/cassette and it has a triple chainring. I know the rear derailleur and the shifters will not accommodate a 9 speed cassette but I知 ok with the cassette only being able to utilize 6 speeds.

The 9 speed cassette came with a 26 inch wheel set I just bought the other day. The frame does not come with the original wheel set so I wanted to use the wheel set I just bought but I知 not sure if it will work or not?

I would rather not put a lot more money into the bike so changing the rear derailleur and shifter would probably not be as cost effective as just removing the cassette and getting a 6 speed cassette. I know a 6 speed cassette is $35 at my LBS. Figured I could sell the 9 speed cassette for a couple dollars.

I知 not planning on flipping the bike at all so if I can somehow still use the 9 speed cassette with the knowledge that it will not be able to use all 9 speeds I知 ok with that.

Thanks so much for your advice.

Old 03-16-21, 10:35 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Nobody makes 6 speed cassettes any more. If your wheel has a 9 speed cassette, what you are thinking of buying is a 6 speed freewheel, not a cassette. They are not interchangeable. If you want to use your current shifters you will need a different rear wheel
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-16-21, 10:36 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
1. The shifters are indexed to 6 speed. So it will not work with that 9 speed cassette. Nor will it shift (well) through 6 of the 9 speed, bbecause the cog spacing is different.
2. You pretty much will not be able to find a 6 speed cassette (as opposed to a 6 speed freewheel). Even if you do, the 6 sp cassette is UG, and might not fit onto a newer HG hub.
3. The rear wheel you bought has 135mm spacing. Your frame probably has 130mm spacing. Or maybe even 126mm for a few odd ducks.
If I were you I would hold out for rear wheel with the right 6 speed and the right spacing.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 03-16-21, 10:47 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Measure your spacing first. It's conceivable it might be as narrow as 120mm, but likely 126mm.
Spreading the frame to 135mm without aligning the DO's will cause short bearing life. You can typically spread about 4mm and not be too bad.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 03-16-21, 10:50 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Nobody makes 6 speed cassettes any more. If your wheel has a 9 speed cassette, what you are thinking of buying is a 6 speed freewheel, not a cassette. They are not interchangeable. If you want to use your current shifters you will need a different rear wheel
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
1. The shifters are indexed to 6 speed. So it will not work with that 9 speed cassette. Nor will it shift (well) through 6 of the 9 speed, bbecause the cog spacing is different.
2. You pretty much will not be able to find a 6 speed cassette (as opposed to a 6 speed freewheel). Even if you do, the 6 sp cassette is UG, and might not fit onto a newer HG hub.
3. The rear wheel you bought has 135mm spacing. Your frame probably has 130mm spacing. Or maybe even 126mm for a few odd ducks.
If I were you I would hold out for rear wheel with the right 6 speed and the right spacing.
Yes, I meant swapping out a the 9 speed cassette with a 6 speed freewheel, and this is the info I was looking for, I wasn't sure about the 9 speed cassette working because I remember someone else talking about the spacing between the cogs being different in another post. Thank you so much for your replies, I will keep my eyes open for another wheel set that will fit this Fuji bike.
Old 03-16-21, 10:56 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by tpadul
I知 still very much a newbie when it comes to bicycle mechanics so be gentle in your responses................................................

...............................................I would rather not put a lot more money into the bike so changing the rear derailleur and shifter would probably not be as cost effective as just removing the cassette and getting a 6 speed cassette. I know a 6 speed cassette is $35 at my LBS. Figured I could sell the 9 speed cassette for a couple dollars.

I知 not planning on flipping the bike at all so if I can somehow still use the 9 speed cassette with the knowledge that it will not be able to use all 9 speeds I知 ok with that.

Thanks so much for your advice.

If that is really the goal, then just get everything running as it is. If that is your goal in a future purchase, make certain everything works.

Cheap components work for some upgrading their bikes, but they don't for me. I'd stick to Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo. Out of those three Shimano usually has lower tier inexpensive groups.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-16-21, 10:56 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,053 Times in 3,808 Posts
You have opened a much bigger can of worms than you know.

The spacing between cogs on 6-speed is different than 9-speed. This means that your 6-speed shifters will never properly index with a 9-speed cassette, and things will be messy. There are 6-speed cassettes available on eBay (make sure it's a cassette, not a freewheel - search for "Shimano 6 speed uniglide cassette") that will probably give you the result you want. If your LBS has one, that's a good option, too. All that said, I'm not 100% sure if the freehub body on the 9-speed wheel is the same size needed for a 6-speed cassette. Spacers may be required, or it might not work at all. Your LBS might be able to help you with this issue, too.

To use the 9-speed cassette, you would need (at a minimum) a new rear derailleur, rear shifter, and chain...and probably derailleur cable and housing.