Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling and music

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-21, 06:15 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by sjammer
I ride with my AirPods on low volume, just enough that hear the music and still be able to hear what is going on around me.
Same here, but I use generic bluetooth buds. But the point being, I don't blast my ear drums drowning out everything around me. As a benchmark, because of wind noise, I can't hear the music after about 15-20 mph, maybe even slower. Similar to the point in which the wind noise would pretty much obscure traffic noise for me. And, at that point, I really do think the ear buds make traffic noise more discernable. I've thought about that quite a bit. The theory I have come up with is that wind noise makes it harder to distinguish traffic noise than does music and to the extent that the ear buds cut that down in favor of hearing music, it improves that aspect of hearing for me. It works for me anyway.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-16-21, 07:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,523 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
for the natural rides, i could understand not having anything beat boxing away in the ear. For anywhere else, I'd rather not hear the person tell me I need to be on the sidewalks or to tell me I look "hawt" .
As for the first, I like to hear that so I know when to wave back. As for the second, I’m sure that’s not an issue for you.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-16-21, 08:17 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
As for the first, I like to hear that so I know when to wave back. As for the second, I’m sure that’s not an issue for you.
the construction workers are a rowdy bunch.
Old 03-16-21, 08:58 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 408 Posts
I run an e-commerce business, and to promote this business, I use video and audio productions. In 2021 people seem to get restless unless they are constantly being stimulated by a video screen or audio signals. Since I began using video and audio marketing, my sales have doubled, and I even get revenue from the productions themselves. I cannot complain about people whose addiction to such things helps me make money, its like selling drugs or booze, except that it is entirely legal.

For myself, being more or less immersed in video and audio for much of each day, the last thing I want to do when I get on my bike is listen to music or anything else. Silence is a rare commodity nowadays, it is golden, and it is just what I want to hear when I get on my bike.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 03-16-21, 11:00 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
there are music free rides and there are music rides. new/very infrequent rides are always music free. usual/local rides almost always involve music.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 03-18-21, 05:19 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
OH, OH. I guess you didn't do any search for "headphones", "ear buds" or such. I haven't read past your first post, so don't know how long it will take. But I predict that within 3 replies, some know-it-all will pipe in not answering the question, but pontificating on how horribly dangerous it is and you're going to die. Or how inferior you are because you don't want to hear "nature".

I have a ~16 gig playlist on my phone and just hit "random shuffle" When solo, I listen to music all the time except if my BT buds are discharged or I forget them. I personally feel that the buds cut down on wind noise and actually help me hear traffic. But that's only about 30 years of experience.
30 years of riding with music???? Bro...how are you still alive?

These threads alway devolve into at least two common themes. 1. Someone telling others they need “constant stimulation.” 2. You should want to listen to the birds chirping and the tires humming. I’m all for the sounds of nature. For about 20 minutes. What does anyone else care what I listen to?

And for the safety issue. Can someone PLEASE tell me what they do differently when they hear a car coming? For me, the answer is nothing. Do people actually stop riding and pull off the road or something? At some point you have no choice to take your eyes off the approaching car. Or do y’all crane your necks and eagle eye every single foot of every single pass?

I don’t understand where all the fear comes from. I’m passed by many, many thousands of cars every year. I’ve yet to experience a pass that I thought would have been any different with or without ear buds.
Old 03-18-21, 05:36 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Riding a bike with music and driving a car with music has some similarities. More similarities than differences.

Bike riding has always had the element of danger with the cars and even with the road and even the debris.

I notice when I really want to concentrate while driving a car, I will turn down the volume. When? For instance, when the rain is really pouring, or when the fog is so thick, I cannot see but a few feet ahead.

Bottom line: I think its about multitasking.
Old 03-18-21, 05:40 PM
Troul 

if i'm familiar with the vehicle I'm driving, I can chew bubble gum, listen to music, let out a fart, & shift all at the same time while going up hill in fog with rain, & crosswinds.
Old 03-18-21, 06:14 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Rule #62.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 03-18-21, 06:51 PM
tedder987

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
FYI with respect to the trekz bone conduction headphones. I have had 3 pairs and they are not really sweat-proof enough for a sweaty guy (like me!). Off road, they would call 911 for me on hot days after sweat got into them. Also on road they just were not loud enough to cover wind noise over 15 mph.

p.s. MatTheHat said it well
Old 03-18-21, 07:01 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I love headphones. Ear buds. Bone conductors. ANYTHING you want to use that doesn't make me hear your music. Show up on a ride with speakers on your handlebar and you'll get a frame pump through your spokes before mile 3.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-18-21, 07:36 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
And for the safety issue. Can someone PLEASE tell me what they do differently when they hear a car coming? For me, the answer is nothing. Do people actually stop riding and pull off the road or something? At some point you have no choice to take your eyes off the approaching car. Or do y’all crane your necks and eagle eye every single foot of every single pass?

I don’t understand where all the fear comes from. I’m passed by many, many thousands of cars every year. I’ve yet to experience a pass that I thought would have been any different with or without ear buds.
I've got a rear view mirror. I don't need to hear traffic. It is several magnitudes safer than listening for a car.
Likes For boomhauer:
Old 03-18-21, 07:43 PM
Troul 

the easiest cars to detect coming up on yerleft are those road hoggin electric veehikkulures, i tell hewt whuhh.
Old 03-18-21, 08:25 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by boomhauer
I've got a rear view mirror. I don't need to hear traffic. It is several magnitudes safer than listening for a car.
I use a Varia Radar unit sending alerts to my Elemnt Roam. It’s interesting an all, but I still don’t really ride any differently than before I had it. I just try to ride straight.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 03-18-21, 08:35 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Rolla
Show up on a ride with speakers on your handlebar and you'll get a frame pump through your spokes before mile 3.
How many frame pumps do you go through in an average year, Mr. Norris?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-18-21, 08:42 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
MattTheHat And for the safety issue. Can someone PLEASE tell me what they do differently when they hear a car coming? For me, the answer is nothing. Do people actually stop riding and pull off the road or something? At some point you have no choice to take your eyes off the approaching car. Or do y’all crane your necks and eagle eye every single foot of every single pass?

For me this creates an awareness that probably has some small safety related value. In theory it would change nothing as, in theory, I should be doing enough to be certain in every case I am aware of any cars around me. However, I am not perfect, but good enough to still be alive :-)

And in some ways I suppose it could degrade safety as sound is not always reliable. I don't ride with music, but I can't say the reason is really a safety thing. I have seriously considered it.

dave

ps. Probably the 'safest' move I have ever made is buying a Varia. But even then you have to be careful as it will not always show a car that is 'pacing you' and you can be fooled if you are not aware of that.
Likes For DaveLeeNC:
Old 03-18-21, 10:27 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
How many frame pumps do you go through in an average year, Mr. Norris?
After the first two, the word got out.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-18-21, 11:11 PM
Pricey95

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use airpods and just turn them right down.
Old 03-19-21, 01:28 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I love headphones. Ear buds. Bone conductors. ANYTHING you want to use that doesn't make me hear your music. Show up on a ride with speakers on your handlebar and you'll get a frame pump through your spokes before mile 3.
Terrifying
Old 03-19-21, 03:19 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
good thing many of us rock speakers elsewhere. opera always messes people up. ditto pre-lindsey/stevie fleetwood mac and anything from bootsy.
Old 03-19-21, 04:03 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I sewed BT speakers at the straps of my helmet. They don't cover my ears.

They're just close enough to my ears so I can listen to music in privacy but not too close and not too loud they drown out traffic noise.

I listen mainly to crossover jazz music and the musical selections in GCN
As with many people reading a book, focus on one thing (music) can zone you out to other things. I'm guessing it's not the same for everyone but I won't take the chance. I don't want my senses dulled or my reactions delayed.
Old 03-19-21, 04:04 AM
indyfabz

After the first two, the word got out.

I’ve got chunks of guys like Chuck Norris in my stool.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-19-21, 04:08 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Nothing? If I hear a car behind me I make sure I'm as far right as possible. When I see one in my mirror I watch to see how it's tracking. Why one wouldn't do at least that to avoid injury or death is beyond me.
Old 03-19-21, 05:53 AM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by bruce19
Nothing? If I hear a car behind me I make sure I'm as far right as possible. When I see one in my mirror I watch to see how it's tracking. Why one wouldn't do at least that to avoid injury or death is beyond me.
I’ve found that if I ride as far to the right as possible I get more close passes. So far I’ve avoided injury and death from well over 100,000 passes, probably many more.
Old 03-19-21, 07:23 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
I’ve found that if I ride as far to the right as possible I get more close passes. So far I’ve avoided injury and death from well over 100,000 passes, probably many more.
You have also been passed by more PO'ed drivers than you would have otherwise. I don't know which one is safer but at least in my area, avoiding PE'ed drivers is a high priority for me.

dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.