Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

average one hour ride mph

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

average one hour ride mph

Old 04-02-21, 09:03 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
speak for yourself. Some of us don’t want to answer because it’s an inane question - average speed over an hour is affected by too many variables to give a meaningful answer.

Exactly !!!!
Old 04-02-21, 09:26 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
We poke along at 12-14 mph, but the bike computer always says 11.7 mph,
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 04-02-21, 09:44 PM
Lakerat

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
I need to find a long, sustained downhill road that I can ride on for an entire hour. Now THAT will become an average MPH benchmark that will be tough to topple!

In all seriousness, my bike computer calculates an average speed but the number is always lower than I'd expect, which is understandable because a) I think it represents an average over perhaps many hundreds of miles, so it takes a lot of fast riding to raise it, and also b) because I think it calculates Zero MPH during the five minutes or so when I finish my ride but the computer hasn't shut off yet. So in other words, I mostly ignore it.
Estes Park, Colorado to Loveland, Colorado. 30 miles going from 7522' of elevation to 4982'. It's pretty much straight east with a prevailing westerly wind. Catch it when its blowing like stink and and you can really fly.
Old 04-02-21, 09:50 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Speed is irrelevant and unimportant. Just like passing other cyclists doesn't mean that you are fitter...It's pointless to obsess about numbers.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-02-21, 11:24 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Mark,

If your goal is just a recreation ride, that's cool, have at it! However, if you want to challenge yourself try this:
One day a week make it a self time trial and see what your first time is. Then ride the same route and see if you can beat it the next week, repeat, repeat. This isn't a just a race against the clock, it's a race against yourself. Having a goal in mind to improve your time each week ends up making you work harder during your daily rides. If you find that that takes away from the enjoyment, back off a little.

The whole chasing the average miles per hour thing is over-rated in my opinion.
Old 04-03-21, 06:33 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
I'm 73 and I'm not racing against anything, I just like riding through the country roads for a little exercise and happen to have an old Garman on my bike and asked a stupid question didn't mean to get everybody all fired up but since I did it's been fun listening seems like every biker I see has some sort of computer strapped on the handle bar so I thought it must be there for the same reason mine is. i guess we're really not supposed to look at it? I'll turn mine off and see if it makes my ride more enjoyable.
Likes For Mark Dominck:
Old 04-03-21, 07:13 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Average RIDING speed or average speed over time? Two different things - depending on traffic lights, stop signs, etc. My 12.5-mile commute is usually completed in 42-44 minutes for an average overall speed of 17mph, but if I take out the time for stoplights and whatnot, my riding speed is closer to 20mph.

Then terrain figures into the picture. Where I ride, the biggest hills tend to be railroad overpasses.

so.... what apples and oranges are we comparing today???

Old 04-03-21, 12:29 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 722 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Dominck
I got after it the other day just to see and I did my 1 hr ride and averaged 13.8 mph I might be able to improve on that if I get serious but not by much, A few yrs ago I reached 15mph on that same ride but I was feeling pretty frisky that day. You guys getting up to 19 and 20+ are pretty impressive in my book! Especially doing 100 miles! It would take me a couple day rides to go 100.
Don't be too impressed. It is easy to ride a keyboard.
Likes For phughes:
Old 04-03-21, 12:32 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 722 Posts
I'm 73 and I'm not racing against anything, I just like riding through the country roads for a little exercise and happen to have an old Garman on my bike and asked a stupid question didn't mean to get everybody all fired up but since I did it's been fun listening seems like every biker I see has some sort of computer strapped on the handle bar so I thought it must be there for the same reason mine is. i guess we're really not supposed to look at it? I'll turn mine off and see if it makes my ride more enjoyable.
You're doing great, Mark. Enjoy, and keep on riding!
Likes For phughes:
Old 04-03-21, 03:32 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Don't be too impressed. It is easy to ride a keyboard.
That's why it's best to compare FTP -- Functional Typing Power.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-03-21, 11:50 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
If one watches the Tour De France and other big tours, average speeds are often mentioned and monitored by the team cars and riders. Fastest stage, history of stage average speed, time cut offs at average speeds and time, mentioned fairly often. I'm guessing the fastest riders you know aren't riding in the TDF?

I know some riders that concern themselves with wattage. But I will have to say that I don't think I have ever heard Phil Leggitt say, "Lance has to maintain 420 watts over the next 5 kilometers if he wants to win this stage!". And if he had, not enough to take override mention of average speeds.
Announcers might mention average speed occasionally as they struggle to fill 4 hours of airtime with witty banter but it has zero relevance to the riders. The contenders have one goal and that’s to finish ahead of everyone else. Whoever wins Tour of Flanders tomorrow is not going to be disappointed if he has the slowest avg speed in history.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 04-04-21, 08:18 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
I don't have a computer on any of my bikes - other than my brain. I use the VERY old-school wristwatch for timing, and the mileposts along the roadway for distance. I keep track of my speed as I'm riding by the same method - How long does it take me to ride a mile --

MPH - Time
12........5:00
13........4:37
14........4:17
15........4:00
16........3:45
17........3:32
18........3:20
19........3:09
20........3:00
21........2:51
22........2:44
23:.......2:37
24........2:30
25........2:24

My zero wind riding time for a mile is right around 3:05-3:10 which works out to 18.9-19.5mph. Of course I can sprint faster, but not a heck of a lot or for very long. Usually, that only happens when I'm being chased by a farm doggie and they tend to give up after a quarter-mile or less.... That's the beauty of living out in flat farm country!

Now if we start talking about my 'endurance' riding speed, well that depends on the distance. The riding speed I can maintain for two hours is ~17-18mph. Four hours, or my 'metric century pace' and I drop down to around 16mph. I've slowed down a bit in my old age (now coming up on 63 rings on the tree). 40 years ago, I used to do a Century in less than six hours of saddle time. Now I'm sure it would be closer to seven.

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 04-04-21 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-04-21, 08:52 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

I couldn't begin to keep up with you unless I heard that farm doggy coming after me! I've never been alarmed by barking dogs until a few months ago,two boxer twins came down off the hill on one of my regular country rides, it was a male and female and the male was very aggressive nipping at my foot while the female just ran along on the other side smiling like this is our favorite thing to do. After three or four attempts the male latched on to my foot and would not let go.I had to stop and swat at him several times before he let go and still he persisted until I managed to get up enough speed to get away. I now find myself very worried when I pass any place with a barking dog especially when the dog sounds big enough to eat me on the spot. I have since avoided parts of my rides in the country where in the past I just rode past the barking dogs with no fear at all. It's quite disturbing to have a vicious dog latched on to your foot. It tore a hole in my shoe and just barely broke the shin but still it was a frightening experience. So I find my MPH increases dramatically when I hear that scary sound. Beware, it can happen.
Old 04-04-21, 11:14 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
The OP is talking 1 hour speed. I am totally a recreational rider and have had 19 over 2 hours. Once I had a 19.9 over a metric century riding 3/4 of the ride solo. So it is not something that is all that hard for average to fast riders.

This was a ride I did with 2 buddies. All of us recreational riders. Flat ride, just wind but 19 is not something people just make up on the keyboard. I have buddies that race who do 20+ alone on 40 mile rides. Very possible for a decent rider to do 19-20. I know some forum members who have done 5 hour centuries riding in groups.

I'm purely recreational and on a flat ride, 19+ is totally possible for an hour or more.

That’s good speed, certainly faster than me.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 04-19-21 at 01:02 PM.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 04-04-21, 12:08 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
I feel like most people cruise along at around 14 MPH or less
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 04-04-21, 12:43 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
TT training sees some silly figures. Last week at lunch 75min of nonstop sweetspot at 24mph. In training I run the integrated nosecone drink system a triathlete would. Bend over and sip never stopping.

I have to rethink distances I would use on the road bike as the distance/time is really skewed.
Old 04-04-21, 02:54 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
... I try to avoid downhill speeds over 28 mph for safety and it's hard on brakes.
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think your brakes can handle that.
I have found that you can go faster if you don't rely on the brakes to get you there.
Old 04-04-21, 03:27 PM
Mark Dominck

I don't know about everybody else but 30 mph for me seems death defying speed, I don't mind it for just a short downhill as long as it flattens out within a couple hundred yards but those long downhills can get out of hand real quick with my bike if I were to hit something lying in the road at that speed it would be hard for me to avoid and I'm not a thrill seeker when it comes to speed. My son on the other hand likes to go as fast as he can he does not fear a crash. I actually care about my bike and don't want to wreck it. I've had all my bikes for 30 yrs or more so beating them up with abuse is not my way.
Old 04-04-21, 03:56 PM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
I don't know about everybody else but 30 mph for me seems death defying speed, I don't mind it for just a short downhill as long as it flattens out within a couple hundred yards but those long downhills can get out of hand real quick with my bike if I were to hit something lying in the road at that speed it would be hard for me to avoid and I'm not a thrill seeker when it comes to speed. My son on the other hand likes to go as fast as he can he does not fear a crash. I actually care about my bike and don't want to wreck it. I've had all my bikes for 30 yrs or more so beating them up with abuse is not my way.
I'm with you, Mark. I have a small but steep hill on my usual route where I get up to 22 mpg, and seems like it's plenty fast to me. I can't really imagine me going much faster for the exact reason you mention -- all it would take is hitting a tree branch on the trail and I'd go flying.
Old 04-04-21, 04:07 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
I have a mid drive e bike so average speed is not something I go by anymore. I go by wattage. its a lot more accurate measurement as it dos not matter what route I take. I can put out the same wattage in the lowest assist level as the highest going 25mph. I just did this ride going to get some bbq at a new place. I have nbever been able to put out this wattage average the best I had done was 189. plus my heart rate was around 130 to 140 most of the time and 150 at times and I cant usually do that. most of the time I don't do as good on speed but do better on watts and thats ok.

Old 04-04-21, 06:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
If one watches the Tour De France and other big tours, average speeds are often mentioned and monitored by the team cars and riders. Fastest stage, history of stage average speed, time cut offs at average speeds and time, mentioned fairly often. I'm guessing the fastest riders you know aren't riding in the TDF?

I know some riders that concern themselves with wattage. But I will have to say that I don't think I have ever heard Phil Leggitt say, "Lance has to maintain 420 watts over the next 5 kilometers if he wants to win this stage!". And if he had, not enough to take override mention of average speeds.
Average speed of a Tour stage is mostly determined by the terrain, the weather, the stage of the race, whether there’s a breakaway, who’s in the breakaway. . . . Riders care about how much time separates them from their rivals, I really don’t think they give an eff whether they average 45kph or 55kph. Phil talks about average speed because the average viewer doesn’t have any frame of reference for what 400w means, other than that’s a really bright lightbulb.
Likes For caloso:
Old 04-04-21, 06:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
It depends. Need the following:

Percent grade
Barometric pressure
Ambient temperature
gear combination
type of bike
tubed or tubeless
aero clothing?
just eaten a big meal or not
feeling strong that day
had argument with significant other
underlying health conditions
type of tools you carry
had marital relations that day or other
experience level
eaten at Taco Bell
clipless pedals or flats
head or tail wind
PSI in tires
Drafting or not

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-04-21, 07:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
if I were to play "chase" to gain the lead, I'd only care about not fatiguing while putting the hammer down to catch & pass. Data would serve me minimal benefit & just be an annoyance, unless that data was to tell me I have two wasps on my shoulder duking it out.
Old 04-04-21, 08:27 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
I try to ride for about one hour each day and my average speed is usually 12 to 14 mph I'm not racing just out for a ride and some exercise.
My experience is that if you force yourself to work harder in the tough parts (climbs and headwinds) you will soon be able to ride somewhat faster and recover quicker from those harder bits.

Otto
Old 04-05-21, 06:23 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
You keep believing that. There is no way a team car will tell a rider that he needs to average 400 watts to catch the pack, the leader, whatever. More like they tell the rider what he needs to average in order to catch up, win, whatever. Of course they care about the time that separates them so they need to know what average speed they have to carry to close that gap. No way in the world, a tdf rider does not look at his average speed. He may not care what his average speed is after the ride but he needs to know during the ride during certain situations.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-tou...ing-1437432000

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.