Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New bikes, and the creeping cost of entry to our favorite sport

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New bikes, and the creeping cost of entry to our favorite sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 04:53 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6936 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I am talking nominal.

Because when people talk about how much prices for bikes have gone up, they are also almost always talking nominal.
OK, got it. And you’ve identified a common problem in these discussions: nominal prices are almost meaningless. But they are what people tend to focus on.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-02-21, 04:54 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
I got my first bike in 2012, a specialized allez 105. Full aluminium. Rim brakes
It was $600 on clearance.. With a 1 year warranty from the local shop around the corner from me

Theres nothing even remotely close to that nowadays. Even used bikes are insanely high priced. I feel lucky that I snagged a used roubaix ultegra for $1200 in Dec 2019!
The key here is "on clearance"

There are no bikes on clearance during a shortage. But this is temporary.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-02-21, 04:58 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Koyote
OK, got it. And you’ve identified a common problem in these discussions: nominal prices are almost meaningless. But they are what people tend to focus on.
Exactly!
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 04-02-21, 06:57 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
In my view another issue with bike pricing is what's referred to as "product differentiation."

It's fascinating to browse the old Schwinn catalogs, which can all be found online. One take-away is that there was actually relatively limited variety of bikes. Schwinn had kids bikes, cruisers, tourists (lightweight with upright bars), and racing bikes (lightweight with drop bars). Their definition of "lightweight" is open to debate of course. And a couple of specialized bikes. It was pretty easy to guess the purpose and target audiences of each bike. Likewise, the 1962 Raleigh catalog was 6 pages. Most adults were satisfied with a single or 3 speed bike. The "ten speed" fad came later. A person could go to the department store, or a Schwinn store, and buy a bike.

Today, there's a huge proliferation of bike types, and the offerings seem almost designed to be confusing to the layperson. Bikes that are pretty much general purpose, like hybrids, are dismissed by enthusiasts, and even hybrids offer a bewildering array of options.

Under stress, people spend. The whole marketing and sales process is designed to leave you with a little bit of doubt about whether you're buying the right bike, and to "upsell" you into a more expensive model.

Further complicating matters is that bike choice is partly a regional and local thing, since it depends on your riding conditions, but both marketing, and advice shared online, is nationwide. For instance, how many gears you need depends on where you live.
Old 04-02-21, 07:11 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Indeed this is true, and a useful retort to those who say newcomers can just go buy a used bike. I can go buy a used bike and have an idea if I am getting a good deal. Someone who knows nothing about bikes is taking a chance, or at least needs to go do some research.
So bicycles(or anything else for that matter)should not rise in cost because a segment of buyers chooses to do no research before buying?
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 04-02-21, 08:06 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I assure you that economic theory has properly modeled this reality (exactly the phenomena you outlined) since at least 1890, when Alfred Marshall published Principles of Economics, which is the first real econ text.
I'm sure but even people that should know better seem to be stuck with the idea of perfect markets from econ 101 evidenced in the post I was responding to. The bike industry is small enough and customers are devoted enough to the brands they know that a relatively few people have the power to set prices, and competition isn't going to change anything.
Old 04-02-21, 08:38 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think you perfectly demonstrate in this comment how economic theory fails to properly model reality. I imagine if even a very large bike retailer tried some to pressure a bike company, the person at the company would laugh and hang up.

You can't build or expand a factory overnight, and to the extent that manufacturers are trying to increase production, they are having supply problems of their own. It's a bit surprising to me that the extremely high demand means that bike shops are under stress and a significant number of them will fail due to a lack of merchandise to sell. Dealers have very little leverage and the bike companies don't have all that much leverage with their manufacturers. And the manufacturers may not have that much leverage with material suppliers. And transportation is a real problem right now as well.

At least we haven't had the kind of increases seen in the wood industry, where it everything doubled. At least not yet.
I assure you that economic theory has properly modeled this reality (exactly the phenomena you outlined) since at least 1890, when Alfred Marshall published Principles of Economics, which is the first real econ text.

Pretty much every economics text written since then has included this content… It’s standard fare in any introductory microeconomics course.
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm sure but even people that should know better seem to be stuck with the idea of perfect markets from econ 101 evidenced in the post I was responding to. The bike industry is small enough and customers are devoted enough to the brands they know that a relatively few people have the power to set prices, and competition isn't going to change anything.
I think you're bringing together a couple of issues. I was responding to your earlier post about the time required to increase market supply -- expanding factory space and such. That's Intro to Econ material, and our understanding of the time dimension has been solid for about 130 years. As for the bike industry: I think it's fairly competitive (low entry barriers, much product differentiation, low info costs) with a few large players (e.g. Trek, Spesh) that have some power to move the market, sort of like oligopolists -- as you say. But consider the increasing role of internet sales (e.g., Canyon, and now other companies as a result of Covid) in enhancing competition - which will drive prices down closer to avg total cost.

Again, I think there is absolutely nothing here that contradicts (i.e., is not fully explained by) established mainstream econ models. The only problem is that most people don't understand much about economics, and tend to conflate their opinions with facts. When people see prices rising for anything -- bikes, gasoline, whatever -- some tend to believe in bogeymen...But the reality is often that unseen (by most people) factors are driving up costs.

As far as "perfect markets" go, well, mea culpa. That's a failing of the Intro to Econ courses. We teach that model for good reasons - to show why competition is good, is an ideal, something to strive for when possible -- but we do a lousy job of helping students to remember that such markets are virtually non-existent outside of the textbook.

Last edited by Koyote; 04-02-21 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-02-21, 08:46 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It's good that cycling is a hobby for most of us. If we can't get the bike we want right now, it won't hurt us to wait a year. Shortages of toilet paper and coffee are a whole 'nother thing.
If you really pressed me, I'm not sure which of these I'd sooner do without.
Old 04-02-21, 09:55 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I could stop drinking coffee if I had to, but I wouldn't like it. As far as TP, lots of people in the world use water.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-03-21, 08:32 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
The goal of marketing and advertising is to make us buy things we don't really need and can't really afford. In 1980, when I was a kid, I lusted after a Masi Gran Criterium bike at the LBS. It was fitted with a Campy Super Record kit, and, at $1800 was one of the most expensive bikes on the market at the time. $1800 in 1980 is about $5700 today. But in 2021 the bikes in the same niche as the old Masi Gran Criterium cost more than $10,000.

If I had my choice between a new, 1980, 12-speed Gran Criterium with a steel frame and friction shifters, or the latest 12 speed carbon fiber wonder with disc brakes and electronic shifting, I would take the Gran Criterium in a heartbeat.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-03-21, 11:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
The goal of marketing and advertising is to make us buy things we don't really need and can't really afford.
That can be one goal of marketing and advertising, sure.
Another goal is to let current and potential customers know about improved features and/or services. Those features absolutely can be both needed and affordable.

Your extremely jaded view is also inaccurate.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-04-21, 06:38 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
The goal of marketing and advertising is to make us buy things we don't really need and can't really afford. In 1980, when I was a kid, I lusted after a Masi Gran Criterium bike at the LBS. It was fitted with a Campy Super Record kit, and, at $1800 was one of the most expensive bikes on the market at the time. $1800 in 1980 is about $5700 today. But in 2021 the bikes in the same niche as the old Masi Gran Criterium cost more than $10,000.

If I had my choice between a new, 1980, 12-speed Gran Criterium with a steel frame and friction shifters, or the latest 12 speed carbon fiber wonder with disc brakes and electronic shifting, I would take the Gran Criterium in a heartbeat.
In 1965, my local bike store sold the top-of-the-line all-Campy-Record Legnano, which was functionally fully equivalent to the 1980 Masi Gran Criterium, for $150. At more than 10 times the price only 15 years later, the Masi at $1800 was a far more outrageous ripoff than the modern bike versus the Masi.

Sure, the Masi would be fun to ride around on today, if you're not planning on racing. I loved my 1982 Campy Super Record-equipped Bianchi Super Corsa when I was racing back then. Nostalgia is a powerful emotion. But any $5,700 modern racing bike is light years beyond from the Masi in technology and performance. In fact, we can buy any number of modern bikes for less than half that price that offer most of the performance advantages of the $5,700 bike.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 04-04-21, 07:47 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Comparisons of what the most expensive bikes are from different eras tells you basically zero about what the sport actually costs to participate in.
Old 04-05-21, 08:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If only there was a mechanism that countered all this corporate greed like, you know, competition? Nah ... there's no room for that.
Corporations have to keep increasing their prices because of gov tax greed and ever increasing cost of labor. Both my trike TeraTrike, and my bike Rans is not built by a huge corporation. There are many small bike and trike producers.
Old 04-05-21, 08:56 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by rydabent
Corporations have to keep increasing their prices because of gov tax greed and ever increasing cost of labor. Both my trike TeraTrike, and my bike Rans is not built by a huge corporation. There are many small bike and trike producers.
This post makes no sense.

The small companies that built your trikes do not magically get lower wage rates and lower tax rates.

By the way, real wage rates in the US for all but the top 10% of earners have been flat or falling for over 40 years, and the US corporate tax rate is lower than all other leading industrialized economies other than the UK. And the US has the sixth-lowest rate of overall taxation among the 37 OECD countries.

You know, the same device that you use to post this stuff can be used to learn the truth.
Old 04-05-21, 10:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
There are many small bike and trike producers.
And you know they are not incorporated how?
Old 04-05-21, 10:23 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I recently looked at the difference in price between a Peugeot UO-8, which wasn't a bike I would want to ride, and a PX-10, which was a very nice bike. In the early '70s, the difference was not very much, even in today's dollars. Then the bike boom happened and a lot of inflation happened, and here we are.

I was thinking about this thread the other day and realized the bike shortage has made me consider making bikes again. The problem is I can't get parts either.

I think the main thing that the current shortages have made me wonder about is why the price hikes haven't been more striking. I don't think it would increase supply very much. Sure, that prices some people out of the market, but I'm not sure the industry worries about people like that.

Last edited by unterhausen; 04-05-21 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-05-21, 10:54 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Old 04-05-21, 10:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It's his M.O.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-05-21, 11:31 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'm glad that marijuana, alcohol and heroin are plentiful, though. There's that...
Old 04-05-21, 11:49 AM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
I’ve noticed you can still get bikes for the same price but the quality of components is lower than it used to be. Maybe it’s just an alternative to inflation, like shrinking the container of ice cream instead of raising the price.
Old 04-05-21, 12:11 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I think you're right on with the recent price increases. Admittedly the content on a lot of bikes has increased.
Its hard for me to justify disc brakes on an entry level bikes. I am down to 3 bikes and my Specialized Diverge
has all 105 disc components. However for a lot of occasional riders, even the low end disc brakes don't add
a lot of value over a good set of rim brakes. Everyone doesn't ride on a rainy day. I think that the price of
bikes should be coming down. Value models should feature rim brakes and 7 spd drivetrains and any other
features that can be used to keep the price down.
Likes For altondavis2:
Old 04-05-21, 12:14 PM
rbent

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IMHO, "entry level" depends on what you are going to use the bicycle for - recreational, touring, racing, off road/mountain/gravel ... I've got two recumbents, a tri-bike, and a mountain bike all of which I paid upwards of $1500 for. Recently I bought, for less than $500, an eight speed, 24 pound, foldable bike that is now my "everyday" bike. It easily fits in my car (a Subaru Outback) to take with me wherever I go to help explore new places. It's a Zizzo Urbano - a couple of YouTube reviews sold me on it.
Old 04-05-21, 12:20 PM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Back in 2014 I bought a Bike Nashbar AL1, which really was a great deal. It had mostly Sora components, ok wheels and brakes. I still own the slightly pork frameset, which is probably a Cannondale, and have "upgraded" to Ultegra brakes, real derailleur, and a carbon seat post.

Last month the left Sora shifter bit the dust, and I was not happy. A new one is hard to find and expensive, and I don't trust the lower level below Sora, after this experience I don't trust Sora.

And lo and behold, 9 speed triple left brifters just aren't there. I ended up buying 105 10 speed left, which works fine and is much better than the Sora.

So I have a $400 bike with $800 worth of upgrades that weighs 21 pounds, lol. I forgot to mention the carbon wheels. Still and all, it's ridden either in the hills or the city, and I love it.

I always check Craigslist for used bikes. I bought my Trek Cronos there for a good price and it's a great bike. The stuff on the showroom floor today for $400-$500 is not worth it, the used bikes can be.
Likes For afm199:
Old 04-05-21, 12:24 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by altondavis2
I think you're right on with the recent price increases. Admittedly the content on a lot of bikes has increased.
Its hard for me to justify disc brakes on an entry level bikes. I am down to 3 bikes and my Specialized Diverge
has all 105 disc components. However for a lot of occasional riders, even the low end disc brakes don't add
a lot of value over a good set of rim brakes. Everyone doesn't ride on a rainy day. I think that the price of
bikes should be coming down. Value models should feature rim brakes and 7 spd drivetrains and any other
features that can be used to keep the price down.
Agree about V brakes, which are incredibly cheap and work really well. I am admittedly a late adopter, but if keeping V brakes will save the brands some money off the retail price, I think it makes sense. As for 7 speed, I actually think there is no reason why 8 speed shouldn't be the standard budget bike choice in 2021. My 1997 Bianchi had 7 speed, which, admittedly seemed like a huge jump in performance from the 5 speeds I grew up with.
Shimano introduced 8 speed mountain groups in the early 90s, and has had Altus level 8 speed shifters/derailleurs since the early to mid 2000s. These days, most people looking for higher performance are going for 1 x 10 or 1 x 11, so surely, 8 speed has gone far enough down the food chain that the bike brands could put it on entry level bikes, at least for the better brands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.