Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hylix carbon ebay scam

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hylix carbon ebay scam

Old 04-02-21, 01:00 PM
sooni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hylix carbon ebay scam

I purchased the Hylix Zero Carbon+Ti Seatpost-27.2. There was no way to tighten the clamp without slipping, even with carbon paste. I weigh 140 pounds.

Started a return with ebay seller "lan28033" or paypal alias "Liu Liqiang". He told me to ship the item back. When I gave him the quote for shipping with tracking he instructed me to send it back without tracking, which I did after he sent me the refund ( I know stupid).

Sent the item back because it was useless and was asked to close the ebay case. Stupid me didn't realize he sent me the money on paypal as a "buyer" instead of refunding my purchase.

6 months later this scammer started a dispute with paypal posing as the "buyer" and won the case because I did not provide tracking even though I was specifically instructed not to. To make matters worse, I paid for the return shipping out of pocket (I know stupid), and was charged a "dispute fee" by paypal because he told them I was the seller!

The tolerances are garbage and the seller even admitted that he needs to work on his clamp. So he sent me a product he knew was faulty.

Also, be careful with sellers who manipulate paypal.
Likes For sooni:
Old 04-02-21, 01:33 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3649 Post(s)
Liked 5,384 Times in 2,733 Posts
Chinese carbon seatpost at "bargain" price? Yep.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-02-21, 01:41 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Chinese carbon seatpost at "bargain" price? Yep.
It turned out about as expected.
Old 04-02-21, 01:55 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Ebay is the land of the scam.
Likes For leob1:
Old 04-02-21, 01:57 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
Dang, that’s a scam alright. It’s kind of amazing that people have the time to dick around like that, for what I presume is basically chimp change, but then I guess if I could make $30 for every 30 minutes I spend dicking around on BikeForums...
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-02-21, 03:31 PM
sooni

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hylix Carbon Scam

I purchased the Hylix Zero Carbon+Ti Seatpost-27.2. There was no way to tighten the clamp without slipping, even with carbon paste. I weigh 140 pounds.

Started a return with ebay seller "lan28033" or paypal alias "Liu Liqiang". He admitted the item was faulty and told me to ship itback. When I gave him the quote for shipping with tracking he instructed me to send it back without tracking, which I did after he sent me the refund ( I know stupid).

Sent the item back because it was useless and was asked to close the ebay case. Stupid me didn't realize he sent me the money on paypal as a "buyer" instead of refunding my purchase.

6 months later this scammer started a dispute with paypal posing as the "buyer" and won the case because I did not provide tracking even though I was specifically instructed not to. To make matters worse, I paid for the return shipping out of pocket (I know stupid), and was charged a "dispute fee" by paypal because he told them I was the seller!

Just a heads up for anyone who thinks they can save a few bucks. The tolerances are garbage.

Also, be careful with sellers who manipulate paypal.
Old 04-02-21, 03:39 PM
kylecycler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
This guy - liukang1985 - do you think? Similar name, ebay uk, could be another alias, or not, in which case it wouldn't be fair to tar him with the same brush but I kinda doubt it. 99.3% Positive Feedback FWIW, which quite possibly doesn't count for much. Very similar stock, though not the same, but 4 pages' worth, same as your friend...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hylix-Car...-/301853613597

Just happened to see your post on Weightweenies - fair enough putting the word out. There's another post on there discussing the same seller(s):

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...p?f=3&t=141982

What happened to you, though, is different from faulty goods or poor packaging or whatever - a scam is a scam. Live and learn, huh? And don't blame yourself, you're not the scammer. Just might mean you never let yourself get scammed again.

I got conned out of all my savings at the time years ago when I was young and naive by someone I thought was a friend, also got my cheque book stolen and all the cheques cashed by someone else the same (choose your friends, don't just let them choose you - it's safer!).

Actually, though, from what I've ssen on other forums about Hylix products they're not necessarily bad - IIRC someone on the Singletrack Forum in the UK had bought a fork which was fine. You maybe even saw a good review yourself. Luck of the draw.
Old 04-02-21, 04:50 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Duplicate thread in General https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...ebay-scam.html
Old 04-02-21, 05:01 PM
sooni

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I wouldn't have made a peep had I been let down by the quality of a chinese ebay seatpost. That was a risk I was willing to take.

Having to pay for it + return shipping + dispute fee really bothers me.

"sorry for the late response...my daughter is in the hospital... I have sent the refund so please close the case.. Please use cheapest shipping to send back."

Total scumbag.

Had I known that this seller behaved like this I would have tried some other generic brand. I hope others take heed.
Old 04-02-21, 05:08 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by sooni
I wouldn't have made a peep had I been let down by the quality of a chinese ebay seatpost. That was a risk I was willing to take.
But wasn't it a quality issue that prompted you to return it?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-02-21, 05:16 PM
sooni

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
But wasn't it a quality issue that prompted you to return it?
Yes I returned it due to the quality issue. I am not sure how that is not clear in the original post.

I meant to say that I would not have made posts on the internet about a poorly made sub $100 bike part.

It is the gross behaviour from the seller after the purchase that I am trying to broadcast.

Last edited by sooni; 04-02-21 at 05:28 PM. Reason: took the bait
Old 04-02-21, 05:23 PM
sooni

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you. The post was originally meant for this forum. I thought it disappeared, hence the duplicate.
Old 04-02-21, 05:40 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
Thank you. The post was originally meant for this forum. I thought it disappeared, hence the duplicate.
Threads don't disappear.

Merged duplicate threads.

Old 04-02-21, 11:23 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Can somebody help me understand the appeal of ebay? Buying things of unknown provence that may not have been properly cared for from strangers on a platform with a reputation for scammers?

I'm not trying to be a dick and I'm not implying anything. I just don't see why this seems like a good idea.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-03-21, 03:22 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Can somebody help me understand the appeal of ebay? Buying things of unknown provence that may not have been properly cared for from strangers on a platform with a reputation for scammers?

I'm not trying to be a dick and I'm not implying anything. I just don't see why this seems like a good idea.
Man, if after 25 years of eBay growing into one of the worlds’ most successful and largest online marketplaces you still don’t get it, no, I don’t think anyone can. I’m not trying to be a *total* dick, but I am trying to imply that your summation of eBay is rubbish.

The takeaway anyone should have from the OP is to follow eBay guidelines and process for conflict resolution. I don’t believe this kind of thing can happen if process is followed properly. Don’t follow sellers’s instructions, follow eBay protocol.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-03-21, 06:18 AM
sooni

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Man, if after 25 years of eBay growing into one of the worlds’ most successful and largest online marketplaces you still don’t get it, no, I don’t think anyone can. I’m not trying to be a *total* dick, but I am trying to imply that your summation of eBay is rubbish.

The takeaway anyone should have from the OP is to follow eBay guidelines and process for conflict resolution. I don’t believe this kind of thing can happen if process is followed properly. Don’t follow sellers’s instructions, follow eBay protocol.
Yes follow protocol line by line as the resolution process is robotic. No matter how many agents I spoke to or proof I showed that I was the buyer, that the product was defective and that I was told to ship in such a manner it came down to the method the seller used to refund. Very sneaky.

This could have been something bigger like a bike frame and the outcome would have been the same.
Old 04-03-21, 07:44 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Ebay is the land of the scam.
Not sure why the hate for eBay. I’ve been buying and selling on eBay for 24 years. Thousands of transactions. Absolutely zero scams. You can get scammed anywhere. When the item is cheap, no matter the source, that’s your first clue to avoid. And imported adds another layer for things to go wrong and take longer. I personally avoid both.

The takeaway is always ship or return with a tracking number! This is life 101. Really, how is eBay going to make a determination of something being returned without a tracking number? Only ship without a tracking number if you’re willing to eat the loss. And then please don’t blame other people. Sleazy as they may be.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 04-03-21, 07:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Yes follow protocol line by line as the resolution process is robotic. No matter how many agents I spoke to or proof I showed that I was the buyer, that the product was defective and that I was told to ship in such a manner it came down to the method the seller used to refund. Very sneaky.

This could have been something bigger like a bike frame and the outcome would have been the same.
The protocol breach happened before you had to prove you were the buyer; it should never have gotten to the role reversal scenario in the first place. The way the return was handled was the “gotcha.” I’m assuming here, as I don’t know anything beyond what you’ve said, but I’ve used eBay and PayPal plenty, including dispute resolution, and can only imagine you were tricked into going outside eBay protocol by following the seller’s return instructions instead of eBay’s, setting up the situation where it became a separate transaction instead of a return/refund.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-03-21, 08:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,489 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
and can only imagine you were tricked into going outside eBay protocol by following the seller’s return instructions instead of eBay’s, setting up the situation where it became a separate transaction instead of a return/refund.
I was wondering about that. I don’t use PayPal much, and I haven’t bought anything from eBay in probably a decade or more, but it seems hard to believe that the seller could pose as the buyer in a structured transaction/refund through eBay channels themselves.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-03-21, 08:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I was wondering about that. I don’t use PayPal much, and I haven’t bought anything from eBay in probably a decade or more, but it seems hard to believe that the seller could pose as the buyer in a structured transaction/refund through eBay channels themselves.
Yeah, no, it cannot happen. Accountability is the entire reason eBay works, otherwise it would totally be scam central, which it is not. The OP made a bad move and got burned, but eBay cannot protect people from themselves.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-03-21, 08:53 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
I've had two hylix forks. One great, one garbage.

FWIW, none of the weird low price point knockoff stuff is meant to be returned. Either keep it as a monument to poor quality or throw it away.
Old 04-03-21, 10:47 AM
sooni

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The refund was processed through paypal, as a purchase (which i did not notice until the dispute), but at the time the ebay case was still open.

I saw the money in my account and thought it was ok to close the ebay case at that point.
Old 04-03-21, 03:12 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,489 Times in 7,316 Posts
The refund was processed through paypal, as a purchase (which i did not notice until the dispute), but at the time the ebay case was still open.

I saw the money in my account and thought it was ok to close the ebay case at that point.
Out of curiosity, how much are you out, and how much were you expecting to save on the transaction, scan aside?
Old 04-03-21, 03:44 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Ian28033 has 98.1% approval rating.

https://www.ebay.com/str/lan28033

I don't buy stuff from sellers with that low of a rating, only from sellers with 99.5% or better. The high approval rating tells me they're working hard to be a good seller and an indication of a good business person.

I have yet to feel ripped off by an ebay seller.
Old 04-03-21, 04:25 PM
sooni

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Out of curiosity, how much are you out, and how much were you expecting to save on the transaction, scan aside?
Seatpost shipped was 61 USD

+ return shipping $20
+ paypal dispute fee $16

Total = $97 USD

The plan was to put a cheap carbon post on my commuter to soften the ride, and switch to zero setback. I was not expecting a lifetime of use, maybe a year or two at best.

I did not get a single ride out of it before it started to fail. No amount of torque or carbon paste could stop the clamp from slipping.

In the ebay dispute the seller said he was still working on the design, whatever that means.

I had seen some recommendations on various forums so I gave it a shot.

Last edited by sooni; 04-03-21 at 04:30 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.