Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Why do shops buy crappy Park torque wrenches?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Why do shops buy crappy Park torque wrenches?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-09, 01:17 PM
SoreFeet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
You don't need feel bad. Most bike shops in my area appear to be completely ignorant about torque. In fact one rider going up a hill had his fancy outboard bottom bracket crank arm come loose and separate...

It probably was torqued to spec on a park tool
Old 11-30-09, 01:28 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoreFeet
It probably was torqued to spec on a park tool.
I gather you haven't read the rest of the thread...

...or was that a joke?

- Will Rogers
Old 04-05-21, 05:11 PM
Breako21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbke
The context is why you would buy a Park or Pedros torque wrench for nearly a hundred bucks, when you could get a good Precision Instruments split beam, or something equivalent for only a couple of bucks more...

More accurate, resistant to abuse, doesn't have to be turned down, and actually accurately does its job across its range (which Park and Pedro's wrenches won't do).
I use 2 Hazet click style torque wrenches on my bike for everything up to 20nm. Accurate to within 3%, and more than accurate enough for ANY bicycle part, including parts that involve carbon fiber. For the bottom bracket, cassette, etc... I use an older model Park Tool TW-2 beam style torque wrench. Very easy to recalibrate by hand on the rare occasions it needs adjustment, and a perfectly suitable tool for those bicycle jobs.

Snap-On tools are not needed for any bicycle application. Not even by a pro race mechanic. Go check any of the actual tool boxes of 4+ dozen random world class bike mechs, who wrench for world class DH or XC MTB racers, and I’ll guarantee you that you will not find Snap-On or MAC tools nor Precision Instruments torque wrenches in even 5% of those Tool boxes.

Your rant sounds like you’re an angry Snap-on wholesaler or something? And if you think bike shops charge labor rates that approach a quality Porsche work shop rate you have obviously never owned a Porsche. I’ve owned multiple 911 Turbos, and I can assure you the shop labor costs of maintaining such a machine dwarf what any bicycle shop charges for labor.

Now I do agree with you that the Park Tool TW 5.2 and 6.2 are silly priced given that they are essentially nothing but rebadged cheap generic Amazon-Neiko type $30 torque wrenches. Anyone that paid over $100 for either of them got hosed. That said, one does not need a $500 torque wrench to successfully wrench on bicycles. My Hazet click style torque wrenches were bought on sale for between $110 to $150 each (models 5107-2CT, 5108-2CT, and a 5110-2CT). I always reset them to 0 after each use, and get them recalibrated every 2 years. I use them mainly on my cars, which was the primary reason I bought them. The only ones that get used on my bicycles are the 5107 and 5108. I would dare anyone to claim or try to prove they are inadequate for bicycle maintenance because they are click style torque wrenches given they are the exact same model torque wrenches we regularly used on the Porsche F1 development team for numerous applications when I worked for them. There is nothing wrong with a click style TW for bicycle use so long as you ALWAYS reset it to 0 after EVERY use, have it properly calibrated, buy a decent quality wrench, and get it recalibrated every few years or after an abusive type incident like dropping it. FYI,?you don’t need to be at 1% or even 2% torque accuracy for any bicycle components. That’s nonsense! These are not NASA space shuttles being worked on, they are bicycles. In addition, bicycle CF component makers have torque specs that are so conservative that any decently calibrated and decent quality TW will get you where you need to be safely.

Last edited by Breako21; 04-05-21 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-05-21, 05:31 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Is this a new ZOMBIE thread record?
21 years 4 months 6 days since last responded to!
Old 04-05-21, 05:37 PM
Breako21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Sorry, this came up in my feed, and I was not looking at dates. 😆
Old 04-05-21, 05:53 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Just out of curiosity, what year is it where you live?
Old 04-05-21, 10:40 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by Breako21
Snap-On tools are not needed for any bicycle application. Not even by a pro race mechanic. Go check any of the actual tool boxes of 4+ dozen random world class bike mechs, who wrench for world class DH or XC MTB racers, and I’ll guarantee you that you will not find Snap-On or MAC tools nor Precision Instruments torque wrenches in even 5% of those Tool boxes.

Your rant sounds like you’re an angry Snap-on wholesaler or something? And if you think bike shops charge labor rates that approach a quality Porsche work shop rate you have obviously never owned a Porsche. I’ve owned multiple 911 Turbos, and I can assure you the shop labor costs of maintaining such a machine dwarf what any bicycle shop charges for labor.
Quite the rant against what is a 12 year old thread. Nothing wrong with a little Snap-on in the tool box just isn't as completely necessary as the car guys like to think, but show me a better set of reversible ratchet wrenches, I've got a nice run of their straight beam combination ratchet wrenches and its what I keep in my box paired with wright combo wrenches. My box has a nice mix of wright, SK, bondhus, wheels manufacturing, and park based on who makes what best and a good mechanic picks and chooses based on use and quality.
Old 04-06-21, 03:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I don't know how such an old thread could wind up in someones daily feed as something hot and new and why someone would get so spicy over it.

Actually a lot of pro-mechanics use Snap-On some may use it less because customs and security like to take the stuff but our shop has a lot of mechanics using Snap-On and it is hard to not, they are good quality tools with good support behind them. Yeah sure they are not cheap but if I do happen to break one, I just call up my Snap-On guy and give him the tool and he gets me a new one. Granted I haven't had to replace anything yet but have had other staff who have.

Sure maybe not needed but you could then say that about any tools and we could say all you need are the leftover wrenches from Ikea to build a proper tool box and we all know that is B.S. As I always say buy good tools once and don't have to buy them again.
Old 04-07-21, 09:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by Duo
old threads actually are quite good, how often do we talk about torque wrenches? i learned a few things too; checked my tool box and there sat a precision instruments torque wrench, rarely used. this thread helped me appreciate the tool...

thank you.

my tool box is a mix of SK, Park, Harbor, Craftsman et al. my LBS gave me a little torque wrench to tighten my carbon bits with; after reading this i went out and rechecked the torque using the tool..........would not have done it without reading the bantering here.

Edit, to answer the question why shops buy crappy wrenches; well i don't know. when i worked maintenance, the shop gave us a professional tool catalog and money to buy our own tools. so we did, and a lot less junk showed up in our boxes, probably why they did that.
Actually I feel it has come up a lot recently in various threads.
Old 04-07-21, 11:01 PM
Melvang

Bikes: Kona Roast, Cannondale R500 CAAD4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
Or if you want to really be accurite,you can throw all of the torque wrenches away and use bolt stetch like the REAL pros do.

Torque wrenches are an educated guess.
Reading through this thread, I was wondering if someone was going to mention this.

I have used this method for studs with a "torque spec" of 40,000 foot pounds. The nuts were 6 7/8" flat to flat and the socket was 45 pounds. For those you measure the length of the stud with a blind hole in the stud with a depth micrometer, heat the stud in the same hole with induction, and run the but down by hand. Let cool, remeasure for stretch and calculate the torque.
Old 04-08-21, 01:20 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang
Reading through this thread, I was wondering if someone was going to mention this.

I have used this method for studs with a "torque spec" of 40,000 foot pounds. The nuts were 6 7/8" flat to flat and the socket was 45 pounds. For those you measure the length of the stud with a blind hole in the stud with a depth micrometer, heat the stud in the same hole with induction, and run the but down by hand. Let cool, remeasure for stretch and calculate the torque.
Well I guess that crank is coming loose.

John
Old 04-08-21, 07:54 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Melvang

I have used this method for studs with a "torque spec" of 40,000 foot pounds. The nuts were 6 7/8" flat to flat and the socket was 45 pounds.
Yikes, what are they building? Giant antennas or something? We have a variety here at the office (for checking bolted connections in buildings) but I think the biggest one goes to "only" 1000 ft/lbs.

I have a hard time imagining a pro measuring the bolt stretch on a bicycle bolt that might only be torqued to, say, five or ten Nm. Maybe they measure it with an electron microscope?

I think that for bikes, the challenge would be finding a torque wrench that goes low enough to be accurate at the really low end of the scale.

Last edited by Reflector Guy; 04-08-21 at 07:58 AM.