Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Replace 8x3 Acera to 10x3 Deore?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 04-05-21, 04:29 PM
Racoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, dear forum.

My rear derailer Acera was recently smashed and has to be replaced. Also, it's time to replace the cassette, because I've changed the chain a month ago and 2 or 3 speeds appear to be worn.
Right now I have 3 front speeds and 8 rear and I'd like to keep front 2-3 speeds because I use it as a road bike most of the time, yet sometimes go mud, hill-country, downhill.

I'd like to have something considerably better and more reliable than Acera (like Deore), but have no idea if I can have 2-3 speeds on front;
Can I install something like this to my rear wheel so I could keep my front gear
//amazon.com/JGbike-Sunrace-Cassette-12-Speed-Shimano/dp/B076M2RDF3
If I have to replace the front, what to use for the front?

Any experienced advice like "buy this and this" would be highly appreciated.

I'm Ok to have 8-10 rear and 2-3 front speeds, please advise!

Thank you.
Old 04-05-21, 05:48 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Racoon
Hi, dear forum.

My rear derailer Acera was recently smashed and has to be replaced. Also, it's time to replace the cassette, because I've changed the chain a month ago and 2 or 3 speeds appear to be worn.
Right now I have 3 front speeds and 8 rear and I'd like to keep front 2-3 speeds because I use it as a road bike most of the time, yet sometimes go mud, hill-country, downhill.

I'd like to have something considerably better and more reliable than Acera (like Deore), but have no idea if I can have 2-3 speeds on front;
Can I install something like this to my rear wheel so I could keep my front gear
//amazon.com/JGbike-Sunrace-Cassette-12-Speed-Shimano/dp/B076M2RDF3
If I have to replace the front, what to use for the front?

Any experienced advice like "buy this and this" would be highly appreciated.

I'm Ok to have 8-10 rear and 2-3 front speeds, please advise!

Thank you.
It is highly unlikely that that derailleur you linked to has the wrap capacity to handle multiple rings in the in the front - at least not while running that cassette. Of course with an 11-46t cassette, you might not need multiple front rings, but you will have to do the math on that... or tell us what the highest and lowest gear combos you use are. If you decide to go with 1x, depending on your crankset, you might be able to just run a single ring in the middle position. Does your crankset have replaceable rings?

However, the simplest thing to do is just replace the rear derailleur with any Shimano 8 or 9 speed rear derailleur model. They will all be compatible with the shifter you have. And whatever 8 speed cassette floats your boat. You can keep using the crank, shifters, and front derailleur you already have.
Old 04-06-21, 10:05 AM
Racoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply.
I'm quite new to mtb, although have this bike for ~5 years.
Basically, I'm running the highest front gear only while riding the highways, most of the time (90%)- the middle one and 8% of the time the lowest gear while riding hills.
I take your suggestion and will replace just the derailleur now, as the entire Deore set price is about 400$ vs 40$ for the broken part, and probably there is no reason for jumping that high for this bike.
Old 04-06-21, 07:00 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
You could treat yourself to a 9 speed Deore RD. That will work with your shifter and an 8 speed cassette.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=33370