Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tacx Neo 2t, any long term users? How's it going?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tacx Neo 2t, any long term users? How's it going?

Old 04-01-21, 09:20 AM
showlow

Bikes: Lemond Zurich, All City Macho King Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
wrong forum. sorry. plz delete

Hey all,

So, yesterday I had the opportunity to get a lightly used Tacx Neo 2t for a really good price from a nice older gentleman nearby.

I haven’t had a chance to set it up yet but last night I stumbled on many discussions and videos about the longevity of these trainers. I have read many threads about dead trainers, bad bearings, etc. In particular is this issue of the bad bearings on the 2t not being serviceable like previous models.

Now I’m scared. I know this trainer works for now, but I’m worried it might not last long and as a second owner I’ll be out of luck.

Any long term users out there? Where are we on this bearing issue? Should I resell? For not much more money I could have gotten a CPO Kickr Core.

Thanks!

Last edited by showlow; 04-01-21 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-04-21, 09:00 PM
2ering

Bikes: 1974 Gitane Tour de France, 2003 Trek Madone 5.9, 2007 Co-Motion Americano, 2017 Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
My girlfriend bought a 2T in November 2020 and uses it 3-4 hrs/day, 5-6 days/week and it has been trouble-free. Not particularly long term use and she isn't the least bit aggressive, but still it's something. I believe I read the bearing issue was with earlier versions. I've used the second generation for 3 seasons, am much more aggressive during the training but rides don't last 2 hours and I'm not nearly as consistent. The only issue I have is sometimes I experience a little slipping when cranking up a steep incline. We're really satisfied with the units.
Old 04-07-21, 07:27 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ering
My girlfriend bought a 2T in November 2020 and uses it 3-4 hrs/day, 5-6 days/week and it has been trouble-free. Not particularly long term use and she isn't the least bit aggressive, but still it's something. I believe I read the bearing issue was with earlier versions. I've used the second generation for 3 seasons, am much more aggressive during the training but rides don't last 2 hours and I'm not nearly as consistent. The only issue I have is sometimes I experience a little slipping when cranking up a steep incline. We're really satisfied with the units.
holy kajoly that's a lot of trainer time. The winters that I was using mine regularly, I tended to find a tv show 1 hr was enough for my keester and for more added time I would break things up with stretching etc.

mind you I wasn't prepping for Paris-Roubaix (an Aussie racer had a broken arm and trained in his garage on a trainer with the cast resting on a ladder, maybe 5, 6 years back ......and won the famous one day race!
Old 04-07-21, 08:41 AM
2ering

Bikes: 1974 Gitane Tour de France, 2003 Trek Madone 5.9, 2007 Co-Motion Americano, 2017 Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Yeah, it is a lot of time. She literally is reading a book/magazine during some of the time and she'll also listen to podcasts/audio books. She also takes a break to eat. We're old and both use the Tacx app riding the moderate-difficulty routes but while I ride an old Madone and have the road simulation set to 100% she rides a hybrid with a triple and has simulation set significantly lower so the climbs are easier. I'm usually wasted by the end but she is like the energizer bunny.
Old 04-07-21, 01:38 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 968 Times in 791 Posts
On the note of easier, harder r etc, I have an older simple trainer, nothing fancy, but I'm older too so I don't hammer on it very much, just the odd sprint, but I'm not that strong anyway, so so far (touch wood) it's been fine.

I mention this for the person concerned about bearings etc

I still find its good to just move the legs, although the last few years I've been riding in winter commuting so don't ride the trainer much, get enough real world riding on the snow and ice.