Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help Identify old S.Marco

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-21, 02:10 AM
Spellscape

Bikes: Union Sakai

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 42 Posts

Help Identifying Year of this bicycle
I think it could be good restoration

Likes For Spellscape:
Old 04-10-21, 05:30 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
It would be a great help to see the function side of the bike (drive side) but it looks to be a, more or less, entry level steed, similar to many Torpado bikes that I have either refurbished or restored. A good project for restoration? You bet and the final result will be more than rewarding, in my opinion.

That said, the steering stem is set too high (not inserted into the steering tube enough) and the saddle clamp appears to be installed backwards. If the chrome is good, then it will prove to be an easy restoration compared to if the chrome was bad (rust pitted). Surface rust is easily dealt with, as is the case in this recently restored and painted with a brush Torpado...

The fenders, however, were pitted. Not the biggest issue in the world, but the situation did demand re-chroming (I do not re-chrome plate due to environmental issues). With that I mind, I brushed on a couple of coats of paint to clean them up. I like the result...

WARNING: If you are satisfied with the present fender line, mark the fender supports for position and fit clearly. I failed to do so and this is what I am faced with right now. I will set the line, by switching the supports around, as soon as I install my new 700c x 28mm gum wall tires...
Old 04-10-21, 08:03 AM
Spellscape

Bikes: Union Sakai

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 42 Posts
Thanks
got some new photos from seller

Old 04-10-21, 10:23 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It's an entry level city/light touring commonly called a condorino style bicycle in Italy. The head badge mentions Treviso, a city in NE Italy, just north of Venice and also the home to Pinarello. The Simplex derailleur would appear to be a replacement for a Gian Robert, based on the shift levers. Gian Robert was an Italian company offering low priced derailleurs. often based on others' designs. The shift levers are an obvious Campagnolo clone. I'd place the bicycle late 1960s to early 1970s.