Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Keys fell out of saddle bag

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-15, 12:04 AM
waterfish_21

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all.

So the other day I lost my keys! My bontrager saddle bag developed a rip in the zipper. I was not careful upon putting my keys/wallet/ and tools inside it and after my 30 mile loop when I got home my keys were missing. My wallet and bike allens where still in there(barely hanging on!) Has this happened to anyone else? And are there any other ways to secure these items inside a saddle bag. I ride with my headphones on 60-90% of the time so I didn't hear the keys falling off, not sure if I would of anyways.
Old 09-11-15, 12:15 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
I'm still emotionally scarred from the time I lost my keys in 1989, so I feel your pain. The last 5 saddlebags I have owned have a clip for keys
Old 09-11-15, 12:27 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by waterfish_21
Hello all.

So the other day I lost my keys! My bontrager saddle bag developed a rip in the zipper. I was not careful upon putting my keys/wallet/ and tools inside it and after my 30 mile loop when I got home my keys were missing. My wallet and bike allens where still in there(barely hanging on!) Has this happened to anyone else? And are there any other ways to secure these items inside a saddle bag. I ride with my headphones on 60-90% of the time so I didn't hear the keys falling off, not sure if I would of anyways.
Ditch the headphones. It is fun to listen to music, but riding is not the place to do it. You would have heard them hit the ground I would imagine, or bounce off your tire at least.
Old 09-11-15, 12:27 AM
waterfish_21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm still emotionally scarred from the time I lost my keys in 1989, so I feel your pain. The last 5 saddlebags I have owned have a clip for keys
1989 I found some guy at the park I ride through every day, he told me he would call me if he found any set of keys, even if it was 20 years from now.
Old 09-11-15, 12:29 AM
waterfish_21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Ditch the headphones. It is fun to listen to music, but riding is not the place to do it. You would have heard them hit the ground I would imagine, or bounce off your tire at least.
I think your right. It seem's 90% of riders/runners I see on the bike route use headphones but as I bike more I see more dangers of using headphones. This may be the final straw for me.
Old 09-11-15, 01:41 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
I've had it happen, and I never wear headphones, so don't count on hearing it. Properly securing them is the right solution.

Use the tip above and get a bag with a security key clip. Also, don't use a dumb design that might tend to work itself open; I had one which would unzip itself thanks to gravity and sufficient jarring. I also prefer seat bag designs that you can't accidentally leave open (which I've done), for example because the need to be unstrapped or removed to open. Use bags that are snug and don't jiggle and sag. Replace bags worn with holes...as you know.

Pack just the key you need: lighter is less likely to jump out. Pack it under the spare tube if there's no clip. That'll help retain, and the process will also help avoid careless errors like not zipping closed the bag.

Lastly, if they're "mission critical ", don't bring them. Leave your house key outside at home. If you're departing from a car, stash the keys outside the car, like under a rocker panel, in the grill somewhere, up behind the bumper.
Old 09-11-15, 01:45 AM
Strange

Bikes: Rossignoli

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
I think your right. It seem's 90% of riders/runners I see on the bike route use headphones but as I bike more I see more dangers of using headphones. This may be the final straw for me.
Dangerous? More like suicidal. Your best defense against becoming roadkill is situational awareness. Anything that reduces your situational awareness can get you splattered, and has to go. No exceptions.

As for securing your keys, why not just put them in one of your jersey pockets? If you're really paranoid, safety pin the pocket closed.
Old 09-11-15, 01:48 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Why not use a small bar bag for important items?

Old 09-11-15, 03:53 AM
waterfish_21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster

Lastly, if they're "mission critical ", don't bring them. Leave your house key outside at home. If you're departing from a car, stash the keys outside the car, like under a rocker panel, in the grill somewhere, up behind the bumper.
Yeah I need them to get into my building and into my apartment. I guess I could always store them in my garage and just bring the Garage key.
Originally Posted by Strange

As for securing your keys, why not just put them in one of your jersey pockets? If you're really paranoid, safety pin the pocket closed.
I don't have a jersey ( yet!) The safety pin idea is great, I think I will put a safety pin on a garage key ring on my new saddle bag. And yes I'm paranoid now.

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Why not use a small bar bag for important items?
I hate the location of bar bags. I've tried a few and I never found one I liked.
Old 09-11-15, 03:59 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
So the other day I lost my keys! …I was not careful upon putting my keys/wallet/ and tools inside it and after my 30 mile loop when I got home my keys were missing. My wallet and bike allens where still in there(barely hanging on!)…

I ride with my headphones on 60-90% of the time so I didn't hear the keys falling off, not sure if I would of anyways.
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Ditch the headphones. It is fun to listen to music, but riding is not the place to do it. You would have heard them hit the ground I would imagine, or bounce off your tire at least

Dangerous? More like suicidal.Your best defense against becoming roadkill is situational awareness. Anything that reduces your situational awareness can get you splattered, and has to go. No exceptions...
Did we really need the headphone discussion on this thread? Would the OP have heard his wallet drop too without headphones, say over the sounds of traffic and wind noise? This thread for me reinforces my “pre-ride" and “post stop" checklists to make sure all my bags and pockets are zippered shut.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-11-15 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09-11-15, 04:27 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pretty sure that every time someone references wearing headphones for any reason it should at least be mentioned once.
No way around the fact they are dangerous.
Old 09-11-15, 05:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
You could put them in your jersey pocket. And ditch the wallet. Bring an ATM or credit card, old drivers license, health insurance card and cash.
Old 09-11-15, 05:33 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by indyfabz
You could put them in your jersey pocket. And ditch the wallet. Bring an ATM or credit card, old drivers license, health insurance card and cash.
Good tip abut the old driver’s license, though it might not be valid if you are driving to an event. Also AAA will now pick up disabled bikes and their riders so carry the membership card.

This summer while visiting via car to the family in Michigan I went out for a bike ride and my wallet was lost, or likely stolen (did not fall off). The Registry of Motor Vehicle here in Mass. could issue me an E-mail notice of license for a $25 fee; I had to cal home to get the credit card number. My sister lent me a wad of cash to live on and drive home (gas and tolls). We immediately inactivated the credit and ATM cards. My main losses were cash, and my pre-paid Boston Commuter Rail pass.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-11-15 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-11-15, 06:02 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Good tip abut the old driver’s license, though it might not be valid if you are driving to an event. Also AAA will now pick up disabled bikes and their riders so carry the membership card.
I carry both my current and old licenses in my wallet if I am driving and take the old one with me on the ride. As for AAA, it is an automobile lobbying organization first and foremost and has, in the past, advocated diverting public money away from alternative transportation project to auto-related projects, so I am not a member and wouldn't be even if I owned a car, which I don't currently.
Old 09-11-15, 07:57 AM
Jim from Boston

I carry both my current and old licenses in my wallet if I am driving and take the old one with me on the ride. As for AAA, it is an automobile lobbying organization first and foremost and has, in the past, advocated diverting public money away from alternative transportation project to auto-related projects, so I am not a member and wouldn't be even if I owned a car, which I don't currently.
Thanks for the reply, @indyfabz. I didn’t think of bringing both licenses (and leaving the new one in the car). I was not necessarily advocating for AAA, but I know of other BF subscribers with have used the pick-up service (allowed twice a year). I liked your list and tried to think of othe items to make it comprehensive.

BTW, I have been picked up in distress by a cab in over thirty years of over thirty years of year-round commuting and riding. I would much prefer to put my bike in a wide truck bed than stuffing it in the trunk of a taxi, espcially my high-end CF bike.
Old 09-11-15, 08:55 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts

safety pin the pocket closed.
My mom always safety pins my key and my lunch money to my clothes before I go.

Last edited by trailangel; 09-11-15 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-11-15, 09:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Keyring on a loop over my head solved my Key loss episode. (10 years Ago)..
Old 09-11-15, 09:32 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Did we really need the headphone discussion on this thread? Would the OP have heard his wallet drop too without headphones, say over the sounds of traffic and wind noise? This thread for me reinforces my “pre-ride" and “post stop" checklists to make sure all my bags and pockets are zippered shut.
Yeah, we do. It is unsafe. And yes, you hear stuff drop. I have heard my water bottle fall out before because I am not wearing headphones. It is also better to hear the surrounding noise like cars and trucks when you are on the road.
Old 09-11-15, 10:04 AM
dual650c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used the following methods to keepsafe my keys while riding.
Keys on chain around neck
Fixed/DIY'd a strap inside the bag compartment and clipped keys to that
Stuck single key inside my shoe (there was room beside my foot and it never seemed to rub)
Used a retractable cable-chain attached to belt and hung inside my pocketless pants/shorts
Hooked key to helmet strap
Hooked onto wrist watch strap
Tied it to my shoelace
Stuck in my emergency toolkit.... I shouldn't need the key or the emergency kit while riding, right?!?!

And a few more I can't think of right now.
Haven't lost a key yet.
Old 09-11-15, 11:49 AM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Fanny pack. They're secure and stylish.
Old 09-11-15, 11:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
+1, DIY: sew a snap hook into the bag to clip the key ring onto..
Old 09-11-15, 11:55 AM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I had my car keys fall out of my seat bag once during a mountain bike race. Luckily for me, it was during a descent, so I was coasting. I felt something hit the back of my calf, realized quickly that something was not right about that. Stopped and was able to find them.

The cycling gods were being nice to me that day - the race was 150 miles from home, and I didn't have a spare.

After that, I started using a small carabiner to hold the zippers of my seat bag closed.
Old 09-11-15, 01:52 PM
rollwithme

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I came in here to see how one of my worst nightmares would play out but got this tip--thanks, had no idea! I haven't been a member of AAA in years but this is a good reason to do so. I don't drive anymore but having someone to pick me up in the case that nothing else was available would be awesome. I don't live near any family, nor do I know many drivers here, so this helps.

I have a saddle bag and now a rack on my bike (but no rack bag yet). I only carry the house key, building keyfob, and bike lock key on a hair rubber and loop it on my bra strap. I suppose it would also work on a belt loop or something as well. I don't carry ID at the moment, usually just the bus card and cash.

Someone mentioned a fanny pack---there are waist packs popular with runners that are very thin but still manage to hold the basics like keys, cash, etc. They look more "belt like" than "fanny pack like" if aesthetics are a concern.
Old 09-11-15, 01:57 PM
Strange

Bikes: Rossignoli

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
...old drivers license...
Why an old driver's license? Why not your current one, if you have one?
Old 09-11-15, 01:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
One good reason for wearing a cycling jersey. I carry house and bike keys on my leatherman in the left jersey pocket. My cycling wallet (with duplicate/old versions of driver's license and health/insurance info and a few dollar bills for tire casing casing repairs) lives in my right pocket. It is a long time since I lost either riding (knock on wood).

Edit: I've lost stuff out of saddlebags I have forgotten to zip up and that have had zippers fail/open more than a few times. I am not always at my best when I get flats or mechanicals. I try not to leave anything in that bag that is really important. (And they are very easy to steal fast with a sharp knife.)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 09-11-15 at 02:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.