Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Record Pista Bottom Bracket on Bianchi Pista Frame

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 04:13 PM
Tiestotti

Bikes: Mercier Kilo WT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts

Hello all.

I have a Bianchi Pista single speed, and I want to go with the Campagnolo Record Pista Crankset (it currently has the FSA Tempo crankset it came with). The current BB is a FSA BB 7420T JIS taper, and if I want to install the Campagnolo crankset on it, will I have to get a Campagnolo BB?? From I am reading online, the Campy is ISO taper, and I am not sure whether that will affect the chainline at all, or if the cranks will fit. Any suggestions? any other BB's I can use? Thanks!!!!
Old 01-22-18, 04:24 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Don't fart around, just do it right. Get a 111mm ISO BB. Done. Proper.
Old 01-22-18, 10:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
When in doubt get the proper recommended parts. If you want a higher quality BB then Phil Wood or SKF make really top notch ones that you can get in ISO taper! However the Campy BB is not of bad quality and I would wholly recommend that as well!
Old 01-23-18, 08:36 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Don't fart around, just do it right. Get a 111mm ISO BB. Done. Proper.
This.

Campag quality BB for $55? No brainer. https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...bottom-bracket
Old 01-23-18, 09:18 AM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
This.

Campag quality BB for $55? No brainer. https://www.retro-gression.com/colle...bottom-bracket
You're not gonna ruin a $300 crank over $55 right OP?

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 01-25-18, 01:13 PM
eric!

Bikes: A bunch of Merckx bikes from the 90s

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agreed - go full campy. I have the record crankset and bottom bracket on my Merckx Pista and they've worked flawlessly. The BB is cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar predicament: I am building a single-speed conversion with a BMX freewheel (on a non-track rear wheel) and a Gran Sport crankset. I am trying to match up the chainline as best I can and put on a 111 pista bottom bracket. The chainline is great but the crank is rubbing again the chainstay. Can anyone recommend an ISO 116ish mm bottom bracket? (I need English thread)
Old 01-25-18, 03:04 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by 50voltphantom
This.

Actually, it's even better to go a step (or a few $) further and really do it right - just pop for the Record Pista bottom bracket. If you shop on the Google you can find them from British sellers like Probikekit and Ribble for well under a hundy. Since there is talk about the axle on the Record Pista BB being asymmetrical, whether it actually is or isn't - better to get it and be sure...

Originally Posted by eric!
Agreed - go full campy. I have the record crankset and bottom bracket on my Merckx Pista and they've worked flawlessly. The BB is cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar predicament: I am building a single-speed conversion with a BMX freewheel (on a non-track rear wheel) and a Gran Sport crankset. I am trying to match up the chainline as best I can and put on a 111 pista bottom bracket. The chainline is great but the crank is rubbing again the chainstay. Can anyone recommend an ISO 116ish mm bottom bracket? (I need English thread)

IIRC both Veloce and Centaur BBs come in 115-116mm, and among many others - Phils does that length in their Campy/ISO taper too...
Old 01-25-18, 04:07 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Since he is using Record Pista crankset, it is safe to assume that the OP is concerned with weight and stiffness. The bottom bracket is often overlooked and significant weight can be saved here. Good bottom brackets can add tremendous stiffness.

To that end, the Record Pista bottom bracket is $93.46 at Wiggle right now.NOS occasionally show up Bike Recyclery.

I went with Dura Ace on my Bianchi Pista which necessitated an Octalink bottom bracket. Even so, the improvement in stiffness was very noticeable and the old bottom bracket was a boat anchor. The Campag cranks sure are pretty though.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-25-18 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-25-18, 05:02 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Since he is using Record Pista crankset, it is safe to assume that the OP is concerned with cranks that look ****** cool.
Old 01-25-18, 05:43 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Since he is using Record Pista crankset, it is safe to assume that the OP is concerned with weight and stiffness. The bottom bracket is often overlooked and significant weight can be saved here. Good bottom brackets can add tremendous stiffness.

To that end, the Record Pista bottom bracket is $93.46 at Wiggle right now.NOS occasionally show up Bike Recyclery.

I went with Dura Ace on my Bianchi Pista which necessitated an Octalink bottom bracket. Even so, the improvement in stiffness was very noticeable and the old bottom bracket was a boat anchor. The Campag cranks sure are pretty though.

-Tim-
That carbon shell is so nice! Its almost a shame to hide it by installing on a bike.

Dave
Old 01-25-18, 09:15 PM
Tiestotti

Bikes: Mercier Kilo WT

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you everyone for your advise! I really don't care about paying extra for the Record Pista BB, but I have read that it is not sealed, and weather elements can become a factor? I plan on riding my bike on the street, and I was wondering if the Record Pista BB was a good choice. Thanks again!
Old 01-25-18, 10:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Tiestotti
Thank you everyone for your advise! I really don't care about paying extra for the Record Pista BB, but I have read that it is not sealed, and weather elements can become a factor? I plan on riding my bike on the street, and I was wondering if the Record Pista BB was a good choice. Thanks again!
I think all of the modern ones are sealed cartridge bearings on a symmetric axle! If you are worried Phil Wood or SKF might be a better option but I see no reason to worry about Campy, they make high quality parts and I see no reason to doubt their seals.

If you did have a loose ball hub or BB or what have you you can always just clean it and repack it with grease more frequently.
Old 01-27-18, 08:45 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiestotti
The modern record pista bottom bracket, with the carbon sleeve, is sealed bearing. Not 2 sealed bearings but 3 actually. 2 on the driveside and 1 on the non-driveside.

The vintage record pista bottom bracket is loose-ball however.

Both will work nonetheless.

Unsealed is not an issue in the rain really. The surface tension of water between the spindle and cup keeps the majority of water out. Not to mention you have packing grease in there to make everything water-proof.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 01-27-18, 11:17 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Can anyone recommend an ISO 116ish mm bottom bracket? (I need English thread)
I've had good luck with Shimano BB-UN55. They're dirt cheap and last forever, and they come in almost every length possible (certainly there's one around 116mm). If you want one even cheaper than dirt, the BB-UN26 is the same thing, but with bearings a little less smooth and a plastic non-drive side cup.
Old 01-28-18, 12:28 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
I've had good luck with Shimano BB-UN55. They're dirt cheap and last forever, and they come in almost every length possible (certainly there's one around 116mm). If you want one even cheaper than dirt, the BB-UN26 is the same thing, but with bearings a little less smooth and a plastic non-drive side cup.
Those are JIS, not ISO.
Old 01-28-18, 10:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Not gonna work (JIS) and the UN-26 is not the same thing, it is cheap junk the UN55 is at least semi-decent. Plastic cups are just garbage generally anything that is threaded and plastic is no bueno especially when you need to torque it!

He is ISO an ISO BB
Old 01-28-18, 10:58 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Ah--good catch, Squid and Vegan!

I knew those Shimano BB's were JIS taper only, but somehow brain-farted it.

I'm not saying the UN-26 is good stuff, but it is serviceable and CHEAP. I had one in a mountain bike that went many, many miles without trouble, and then I moved it--with its stupid plastic cup--to another bike where it continued to work well.

A higher quality BB is definitely worth a little extra money for those who can afford it.
Old 01-29-18, 11:03 AM
eric!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hold up - both Shimanos are JIS? or just the UN26?

I was gonna order this as it is dirt cheap. There is no mention of it being JIS, but no mention of it being ISO either...
Old 01-29-18, 11:10 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

I was gonna order this as it is dirt cheap. There is no mention of it being JIS, but no mention of it being ISO either...
I'm sure that is JIS. Same for any BB that doesn't specifically say ISO.

Here's one for 37 bux: https://www.bikewagon.com/part/cranks...-english-campy

I hate Bikewagon, but sometimes order from them when I'm having trouble finding what I need elsewhere.

They also have a genuine Campy one that should work for you: https://www.bikewagon.com/part/cranks...bottom-bracket

Last edited by Broctoon; 01-29-18 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 11:34 AM
eric!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure that is JIS. Same for any BB that doesn't specifically say ISO.

Here's one for 37 bux: Origin8 Bottom Bracket Set 68X115 P/P Tql Sq English Campy | Square Taper | Bottom Brackets | Cranksets | Components | Bikewagon.com

I hate Bikewagon, but sometimes order from them when I'm having trouble finding what I need elsewhere.

They also have a genuine Campy one that should work for you: Campagnolo Centaur 68x115.5 bottom bracket | Square Taper | Bottom Brackets | Cranksets | Components | Bikewagon.com
Bah, thank you for the info! Yeah it looks like a LBS has that Centaur in stock for $59 so I'll go pick that up

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...SABEgI2cvD_BwE
Old 01-29-18, 12:02 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
That carbon shell is so nice! Its almost a shame to hide it by installing on a bike.

Dave

Well then, here you go.

Old 01-29-18, 01:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Ah--good catch, Squid and Vegan!

I knew those Shimano BB's were JIS taper only, but somehow brain-farted it.

I'm not saying the UN-26 is good stuff, but it is serviceable and CHEAP. I had one in a mountain bike that went many, many miles without trouble, and then I moved it--with its stupid plastic cup--to another bike where it continued to work well.

A higher quality BB is definitely worth a little extra money for those who can afford it.
It is cheap in all senses of the word. Glad you got good life from it but they could easily make a metal cup and it wouldn't cost them much more and they would still profit. You can get a UN-55 pretty cheap, totally worth that tiny bit of extra coin. Or if you want something forever SKF or Phil Wood gotcha covered.

[/QUOTE]

All Shimano Square Taper stuff is JIS except some earlier stuff which was a lower profile variant which doesn't really fit on a true JIS spindle. They may have made an ISO taper BB but I highly doubt it and haven't seen one.