Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek FX3 rattling noises

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek FX3 rattling noises

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-20, 03:49 AM
shuffle7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek FX3 rattling noises

Hi there,

I recently bought a Trek FX3 2020 and I'm generally happy with it but its making an awful lot of rattling noises as soon as I go over some slightly uneven Surfaces.
Sounds like its coming from the internal Cable Routing.
I went back to the Store and asked but they said there is nothing that can be done really.

Is that really it?
It constantly sounds like the bike is about to fall apart and it really bothers me. Makes the Bike feel super Cheap, even tho it feels good otherwise.
Anyone else having this Problem with this model and have you found a solution?
Is it possible the Store messed something up when Installing the internal Cabels?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Cheers & happy riding!
Old 04-05-20, 05:36 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by shuffle7
Hi there,

I recently bought a Trek FX3 2020 and I'm generally happy with it but its making an awful lot of rattling noises as soon as I go over some slightly uneven Surfaces.
I went back to the Store and asked but they said there is nothing that can be done really.

Is that really it?
It constantly sounds like the bike is about to fall apart and it really bothers me. Makes the Bike feel super Cheap, even tho it feels good otherwise.
Is it possible the Store messed something up when Installing the internal Cabels?

Cheers & happy riding!
Sounds like you need a new shop. FWIW, basic noise mitigation for internal cables include keeping the entrance and exits taut, and doohickies that go inside to act as bumpers or springs. There should be generic solutions, and Trek branded solutions.
Old 04-05-20, 07:05 AM
SayWatt

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
+1 on you need a new shop. I have the same bike and it never made the sound your referring to.
Old 04-05-20, 10:54 AM
shuffle7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, relieved to heat that its not supposed to make this sounds... but a bit disappointed with the Shop now.
Problem is that I'm in Korea right now (bought this bike to get around here) and therefore Communication is not the easiest.
I will bring a Korean Friend with me next time to ease that problem

General question about bikes with Derailleur Drivetrain tho: Do you get much noise from just the chain wobbling around when on uneven Surfaces?
Not an expert here because I mostly drive Fixie/Singlespeed and Gearbox bikes. Haven't had a Derailleur one for ages so not sure if some level of noise is normal?

Also I'll try to make a video about the noise tomorrow, maybe someone has an idea what the Problem could be Not super confident in that shop now unfortunately :/

Thanks for the Help guys!
Old 04-05-20, 11:04 AM
James Christie

Bikes: Trek 790 (1992) Trek FXS4 (2019)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No noise at all on my FX (4) in all the gears. Sounds like summat is out of alignment on yours. I wonder if your LBS bothered to do a PDI on your bike. Take a Korean girl along with you to help with the language problem!!
I’ve known Trek through its products and senior management for over thirty years. I think they would get upset if they knew you were having a problem with one of their dealers and an FX3 ain’t a cheap bike. Might be worth coming down on the LBS heavily if they don’t want to help. Trek USA after sales service is only an email away from you!

james
Old 04-05-20, 11:20 AM
shuffle7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by James Christie
No noise at all on my FX (4) in all the gears. Sounds like summat is out of alignment on yours. I wonder if your LBS bothered to do a PDI on your bike. Take a Korean girl along with you to help with the language problem!!
I’ve known Trek through its products and senior management for over thirty years. I think they would get upset if they knew you were having a problem with one of their dealers and an FX3 ain’t a cheap bike. Might be worth coming down on the LBS heavily if they don’t want to help. Trek USA after sales service is only an email away from you!

james
Hm strange. I mean it makes sense, found it pretty strange when they told me that some noise is normal. But yea... bit annoying.
Whats a PDI tho?

Thanks for the Tip with the Trek Service too.
I mean so far my experience with the Store was quite positive (at least compared to other Bike Stores I went before). I bought the bike around two weeks ago and been back this weekend for another checkup after some initial riding. So not sure why they woudn't take this serious now.
I'll go back there the next Days with a Korean Friend and have them have a closer look at it.

Last edited by shuffle7; 04-05-20 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-05-20, 11:35 AM
James Christie

Bikes: Trek 790 (1992) Trek FXS4 (2019)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pre Delivery Inspection

james
Old 10-07-20, 10:44 AM
bierstubebob

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought an FX3 Disc in SW Florida and the fork also rattles. First they said it was the reflector in spokes, but it wasn't. Bought the bike anyway since there are so few bikes available right now.
Old 10-07-20, 10:57 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by bierstubebob
I just bought an FX3 Disc in SW Florida and the fork also rattles. First they said it was the reflector in spokes, but it wasn't. Bought the bike anyway since there are so few bikes available right now.
Does the hydraulic hose for the front brake run through the fork? It could be the hose rattling inside the fork. If it's more of a "tick" sound as the wheel rotates as you ride, it could be a spoke tension problem (generally, too loose).
Old 10-07-20, 11:20 AM
bierstubebob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Does the hydraulic hose for the front brake run through the fork? It could be the hose rattling inside the fork. If it's more of a "tick" sound as the wheel rotates as you ride, it could be a spoke tension problem (generally, too loose).
Actually the brake hose is not internal in the fork, it has one clip holding it in place midway down the exterior of the fork. It's a fairly loud rattling noise, so possibly the cable is rattling against the fork. I'll try to find something I can pad the possible contact areas to see if that at least reduces the noise. Thanks!
Old 10-07-20, 05:30 PM
hokiefyd 

If the rattle is very loud, are you sure the headset is adjusted correctly? If you hold the front brake lever firm, and rock the bike forward and rearward, is there any movement of the fork within the frame? A loose headset could be a cause if it's a rather loud metallic type rattle.
Old 10-08-20, 06:42 AM
bierstubebob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There doesn't seem to be any movement in the headset when I do that. I also tried putting some padding between fork and the brake hose, and that didn't do it either. The noise sounds like it's coming from the hub/brake area. I'll take the bike in for a free adjustment in a couple of months and ask the shop to fix it if I can't figure it out by then.
Old 10-08-20, 08:18 AM
hokiefyd 

To be clear, something rattles if you bounce the front of the bike on the ground? Or it's a rhythmic tick or noise as you ride (as with the spinning of the wheel)?
Old 10-08-20, 08:23 AM
bierstubebob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It rattles if I bounce it or when I ride over bumps.
Old 10-08-20, 12:13 PM
hokiefyd 

It sounds like you're okay waiting for the bike shop to look at it. I think the next step, if you wanted to diagnose it further yourself, would be to remove the wheel and bounce the wheel. Is the rattle still there or not? If it's still there, then it's not in the frame or fork itself, and is in the wheel somewhere. From there, you'd check to see if the hub bearings are tight, check for loose spokes, even something as simple as a loose valve stem. If it has Presta valves, is the little nut drawn down tight to the rim, or is it not (and allowing the valve stem to rattle in the hole)?
Old 10-09-20, 05:02 AM
bierstubebob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good idea on removing the wheel and checking wheel and bike separately for the rattle. Thanks!
Old 04-10-21, 12:25 PM
lumr002

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brakes Loose

Hi there,

Is that really it?

Cheers & happy riding!
Another possibility is loose calipers. While squeezing brake lever to center calipers, loosen then tighten the two bolts holding the brake calipers to the front fork. I had a clicking noise and my caliper bolts were not tight.
Old 04-12-21, 04:49 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Hi there,

Is that really it?

Cheers & happy riding!
I had that issue on my CrossRip, drove me nuts. Figured out it was the frame plug that kept the internal routing secure. Mine had a broken leg for lack of a better description, and it allow the cable to rattle right near the cable entry point.