Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Wheel on trainer maintenance

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 10:52 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts

Does anyone know if there's any specific information available about maintaining a wheel on smart trainer? I have an Elite Ritmo smart trainer which I've been using 3+ years and everything is fine, but just wondering if I need to do any maintenance to it?

I don't recall reading anything about that when I set it up.
Old 02-23-21, 04:29 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
Change the muffler bearings annually? Check the blinker fluid?

I'm pretty sure most of these units are maintenance free, but someone may correct me on that.
Old 02-24-21, 12:46 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Change the muffler bearings annually? Check the blinker fluid?

I'm pretty sure most of these units are maintenance free, but someone may correct me on that.
Is there a good place for quick service, you know drive in and drive out? I just figure, where there's moving parts, something is likely to break down.
Old 02-27-21, 05:44 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Gthomson - I looked into that a while back for my Wahoo KICKR SNAP and the answer was pretty much "Nothing to do except keep it clean."

Others I know who have one do a bit more than that - they lube the few moving parts, like the drum adjustment know, the QR clamp down lever, etc. But that is because they are putting their bike on and taking it off a lot - I have an old bike that just stays on the SNAP, I only take it off to change the rear tire every few years.
Old 02-27-21, 12:26 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I don't know what the bearings are like on wheel-on trainers. I imagine some lube is possible. The original kickr can stand some lube in the cassette area.
Old 02-28-21, 01:42 PM
gthomson

Originally Posted by jpescatore

Others I know who have one do a bit more than that - they lube the few moving parts, like the drum adjustment know, the QR clamp down lever, etc. But that is because they are putting their bike on and taking it off a lot - I have an old bike that just stays on the SNAP, I only take it off to change the rear tire every few years.
I'm the same as you, bike stays on the trainer and never comes off, except in the spring when I start to ride outside more, then I give the indoor bike a bit of a tune up.

The roller in which the wheel connects with is pretty well integrated so I'll see how i can get some lube applied to it.