Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why so serious, the flashy Italian gets taken down a peg

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-22-21, 12:31 AM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts

by this angry brother of the 2 wheels
I put the Garlatti on Craigs List for $595. I know crazy, but I wasn't intending on selling it.Just seeing what sort or responses I would get. Well heres's a cracker

",Nobody will ever give you $595 for that pile. "All Campagnolo"? Get real dude. Misleading ****ers like you who don;t know anything about bikes clutter up CL with your vintage thrift store, garage sale, dumpster diver garbage and pretend to know something about collectible bikes. Moron."

Heavy stuff
Why does this guy care? Surely me setting the bar crazy high for a 1970 Hand Made Italian bike with provenance will mean he can sell his " common as muck " Bianchi for the big bucks..............
think I might take it down to the bare chrome frame or touch up the white after totally buffing the chrome. Of course then it wont be completely origional so the price...
currently I have 8 bikes I sold 2 last week having got my act together and advertised them , what I still have is

2 Single Speeds.
don't know which to keep..love them both
think I'll turn the Bianchi back into a 10 speed with the Suntour Blue and Universal Center Pulls
Started with basics so just striped them down leaving front brake and adding some nice Carbon rims and slicks
Bianchi Forcella Origionale Colombus
Motobecane Super Mirage

2 Excellent candidates for setting up as Gravel Bikes or as quality Road Racers
Univega Nuovo Sport
I love this frame so I took some of the cool parts I have in my workshop doing nothing and got some practise installing them. it now sports , Pearl 9 stem. Cinelli bars, Shimano Exage Motion Crank , side pulls,......
Lotus Excelle
Great frame Champion 5, still origional but for upgraded gear set Shimano HG41=8W and wheels Campagnolo Omnicron T6 front / Alex Rims 1019 Rear

2 Road Racers
Bianchi of unown providence
stripped bare Italian steel, gold leaf applied to buttresses then coated with Marine varnish, Campagnolo Mirage gearset ,dual action sidepulls. Super light, not for sale
Garlatti 1970 Italian
star of the show

2 Project Mountain Bikes
Mongoose Tange Chromoly frame ,Deore SX Gearset
Schwinn Predator frame

and what I sold through CraigsList to two people that were very happy with their new Bikes and the chance to support me in my mission to save cool old bikes were see pics

The Motobecane was sold with Shimano 105 Gearset and Carbon rear and Mavic front.
Brittany was pristine.

I joined this group to have a laugh with like minded gear heads with a collective passion for two wheels .Also to poach ideas and maybe in the long run be of help to others.
I sell my bikes because I can't keep them all , not because I'm desperate.

My baby
and its awesome building something cool even if the average Stanley doesn't appreciate the Pearl stem or classic

Last edited by brixxton; 03-22-21 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Pictures
Likes For brixxton:
Old 03-22-21, 04:35 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,691 Posts
Well, the pics in your ad don't show your bike at its best.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 03-22-21, 04:48 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,780 Times in 2,205 Posts
Dealing with John Q. Public is never too easy. Anonymously or alive in person.

Wait til you have a 'buyer' low ball you in-person and then berate you when you say No.

That why i try to deal with BF'ers.

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-22-21 at 04:55 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 03-22-21, 05:58 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
",Nobody will ever give you $595 for that pile. "All Campagnolo"? Get real dude. Misleading ****ers like you who don;t know anything about bikes clutter up CL with your vintage thrift store, garage sale, dumpster diver garbage and pretend to know something about collectible bikes. Moron."
I agree with this fellow's comments, however; I would have said it in a more respectful way. I do not like rude behavior, name calling or profanity.

I did see the OP's original post and struggled to not respond. The first thing that went through my mind was - not "full Campy" and not "completely original". The second thing was improper assembly, definitely not "sorted out". Then, when I saw it for sale, I thought poor marketing attempt and too much money.

Add that all up and the OP's and seller's credibility seems questionable.
Old 03-22-21, 06:20 AM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 2,204 Times in 1,041 Posts
another note: on ebay, people don't like when they've bid on something and then the item gets pulled and/or the pricing terms/conditions get changed.
and they are right, nobody will give you $495 for that. perhaps you might listen to the advice from people in your appraisal thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-original.html

Last edited by hazetguy; 03-22-21 at 06:26 AM. Reason: added link to thread
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 03-22-21, 06:24 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Trolling CL is not that hard.

If I had reviewed the advert I would have clicked through and paid no measure to respond.
inaccurately described, mechanical issues...
the sagging chain pushes a weak return spring, I am not sure that model has increased tension provisions. Ignoring the bar tape, the brake levers are set up in a way to render the comfort levers minimally effective.
But every salesman believes in their product.

the troll you dislodged had issues beyond your advert, quite sad, but we are in stressful times.

do correct the brake pad alignment, brass wool the braking surfaces, install some proper bar end caps, at least on the RH side.

Last edited by repechage; 03-22-21 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-22-21, 06:32 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 799 Times in 467 Posts
"I put the Garlatti on Craigs List for $595. I know crazy, but I wasn't intending on selling it.Just seeing what sort or responses I would get."

Interesting form of entertainment. I'm guessing if someone offered $595 you'd take it though. You should toss in "..for charity.." in your ad as that seems to be popular these days.

I can't say the response you received, the sentiment at least, was off the mark.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-22-21, 07:12 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Listing anything for a price way above its value on purpose just to see the responses one gets is called trolling. It is immature and silly, just like someone who calls people to complain about the price of their goods.

You received sound advice about valuation in that other thread. The regular members here know these types of things.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 03-22-21, 07:12 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Do the bikes ever see, like, daylight?
Old 03-22-21, 08:25 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
So the OP came here, got an accurate appraisal, ignored the advice of the great many forum members (while trying to claim their frame was the same as something it wasn't), overpriced it to flip anyway, and they're now whining that someone called them out for it?

Swallow your medicine or cry somewhere else. You've used up your sympathy cards.

Also, you won't survive long as a flipper if you take offense at every rude comment that comes your way. Whether you like it or not, more hecklers will be on their way.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 03-22-21 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-22-21, 08:49 AM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
This dude has been cluttering up SF Craigslist with his tripe for about a year now. I was surprised to see him posting here to be honest.
Likes For bargo68:
Old 03-22-21, 09:06 AM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1637 Post(s)
Liked 2,204 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Well, the pics in your ad don't show your bike at its best.
the pics are slightly better in the other cl listings.......
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...291137412.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...292597698.html
Old 03-22-21, 09:31 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Sorry to pile on, but “flashy Italian” to me means Tommasini or Rossin, etc. Yours is pretty far from that mark.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 03-22-21, 09:59 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Originally Posted by hazetguy
the pics are slightly better in the other cl listings.......
Maybe...

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 03-22-21, 10:32 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Some people have more time on their hands than others.

And, yep there are internet trolls out there.

There is this weird dude on one of the Mazda forums I visit as I maintain my daughters car for her who always chimes in that Mazda has garbage engineering. He has even commented on another posters comment that Mazda's were easier to service than his BMW. The troll stepped right up and said it was because of BMW garbage engineering. The word "garbage" is apparently his favorite description word to use, laughing.
Old 03-22-21, 10:40 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by brixxton
Why so serious, the flashy Italian gets taken down a pegby this angry brother of the 2 wheels
I put the Garlatti on Craigs List for $595. I know crazy, but I wasn't intending on selling it.Just seeing what sort or responses I would get.
I wouldnt say thats a flashy bike. Posting stuff for sale on CL for way more than you expect seems like a waste of time to me, but everyone needs a hobby.
Old 03-22-21, 10:42 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Maybe...
What does Cb400bill say.....?
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 03-22-21, 11:32 AM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
The only thing flashy about that bike is the flash you're using to photograph it with. Bike flippers who don't know their stuff are the worst. There's one on Palm Springs Craigslist who has probably 30% of the listings for his overpriced , poorly maintained, low level bikes. Always with non-drive side photos and reposted every day. I wish the flagging system worked like it used to.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 03-22-21, 11:52 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by xiaoman1
What does Cb400bill say.....?
Best, Ben
I'd be embarrassed to use those pictures in an advertisement.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 03-22-21, 11:53 AM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Flipper is a dolphin

I didn't know there were rules, when I stop having fun I'll get another hobby. Until then if you don't want it nobody's forcing you to buy it
Old 03-22-21, 12:11 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
I didn't know there were rules, when I stop having fun I'll get another hobby. Until then if you don't want it nobody's forcing you to buy it
There aren't, but you asked, and posted repeatedly about it - people are actually offering you valuable feedback which could be used to 1. improve your listings, 2. dial in your assessment of things within this hobby, and it seems like you're not into the feedback, so...?

(Edit - oh, none of this excuses the awful e-mails you've gotten - that's crazy.)

Last edited by Charliekeet; 03-22-21 at 12:16 PM.
Likes For Charliekeet:
Old 03-22-21, 12:16 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
As a flipper, one common courtesy - which could be considered a rule of thumb - is to be on one's A-game when it comes down to the photos of what you're selling.

If nobody's forcing us to buy it, why did you start a thread to complain about nobody buying it?

If you only intend to "poach" ideas that serve the narrow interest of selling a bicycle, you'd do well to "poach" the feedback you're getting now - because you're not going to find much fun in this "hobby" if your only approach is to listen to what you like, and ignore what you don't. Sure, this doesn't apply to collecting - one can do whatever they want with their personal bicycles - but it applies to flipping, and those are two different hobbies.

The latter "hobby" is open to public scrutiny and constructive criticism - particularly when you bring your woes about flipping to collectors.

-Kurt

P.S.: The rear cable housing on that Motobecane is so short that it's downright unsafe for left turns.

Last edited by cudak888; 03-22-21 at 12:28 PM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-22-21, 12:32 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26246 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
Old 03-22-21, 12:45 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
look at it another way, unless you are selling a project that is not ready to ride, then as a seller who has done mechanical work to the bicycle, there is an implied liability and worst case, forgetting the buyer gets hurt due to a mechanical adjustment defect...
there is a moral obligation to put it together in safe operating condition.

plenty advertise on CL offering a project.
Likes For repechage:
Old 03-22-21, 01:19 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I don't normally sell bikes. I have sold a couple on Craigslist for what I thought was a reasonable price and had the great fortune of being successful both times. I once had someone make a very low offer on an already cheap bike via the CL email and I responded by suggesting that the individual see the bike prior to making an offer,I got no response! I try not to get emotionally involved with buying or selling a bike , but for me it is hard when I really want to buy a bike. My problem is I like buying way more than selling!!! As if that is a problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.