Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Pictures of your loaded rigs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-18, 08:20 AM
fdimike

Bikes: Surly LHT, & Merida Matts 40 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi All. I'm new to the forum but thought I would add a few thoughts re: panniers. I've been touring in SEA (I live in Thailand) for about 10 years now on my Surly LHT. I'm using some vintage Cannondale panniers on the rear and Taiga Mountain panniers on the front. The Cannondales are great because they have 3 external pockets along with an elasticized pocket for storing small gear. They're also easy to organize because of this feature. They're waterproof to a degree but i always pack my clothes in large ziplock plastic bags. The front panniers (1 external pocket) are also waterproof to a degree. Ziplock bags here as well as an extra precaution especially since I carry my 10" ASUS notebook there . The front panniers are affected more by heavy rain than the rear ones. This year I bought some Axion rain covers for all 4 just to be on the safe side. My Topeak barbag has its own rain cover as does my Topeak trunk bag. We get lots of rain in this part of the world.

Not sure yet how to add some pics.
Old 09-30-18, 08:27 AM
fdimike

Bikes: Surly LHT, & Merida Matts 40 MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Loading photos

Can someone lend an old guy a hand because I just don't have a clue as how to load a photo.

Thanks
Old 10-01-18, 06:23 AM
lax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Planned on a 4 day tour, but I ended it early since the weather was not cooperating.
Old 10-01-18, 09:51 AM
lurch0038

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Fun shakeout run on my local trails.
Old 10-03-18, 08:46 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Originally Posted by fdimike
Can someone lend an old guy a hand because I just don't have a clue as how to load a photo.

Thanks
fdimike- Go to the forum opening page. Scroll down to "News and Suggestions" and open that. Scroll down to "Forum Suggestions and User Assistance" open it. The 4th sticky is about posting photos.

There is a provisional period of a number of posts before you can attach photos directly. Many will instead link to a photo sharing service, I use Flicker. IIRC there is also a min. number of posts before you can add direct links too. Many will spell out the "at" in a link address to get around this. Andy

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 10-03-18 at 08:47 AM. Reason: better clairity
Old 10-04-18, 06:19 AM
mplsbiker

Bikes: 2014 Greg Lemond Washoe, 1973 Schwinn Paramount, 1991 Cannondale ST600, 2018 Salsa Beargrease, 1988 Peugeot Montreal Express, 2017 Trek 520

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Couple of Treks, New and Old

Old 10-05-18, 07:24 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Just finished a two month tour from Seattle to San Jose Del Cabo. We did the Olympic Peninsula before heading South, which was a total treat. Pretty proud of my setup, as it was lighter than almost every other tourist I encountered on the road. If I were to do the ride again I would have opted for tires with more puncture resistance, as I probably had 10 flats on Baja alone with my panaracer pasela protites. My buddy with schwalbe marathons had 3 for the whole trip. Larger tires would have been nice too (I rocked 27x1.25) but my road tires weren't too bad.

Baja was hot as hell during the summer, but all in all the trip was amazing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20180905_175115.jpg (1.76 MB, 1552 views)
Likes For antmaster5000:
Old 10-07-18, 11:16 AM
Meowriano

Bikes: Mutiny Bikes Villij frame will full Shadow Conspiracy parts. 95' Specialized Rockhopper. 87 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heres my loaded miyata 615GT on tour down the pacific coast

Old 10-08-18, 06:21 PM
Jonathan Hanson 

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
This is my Thorn Nomad (one of the last British-made models) on a trip I did the length of Israel. The total distance was less than 500 miles, but Israelis seem to have zero concept of bicycle touring, so I was a celebrity whenever people found out where I'd started from (Lebanon border) and where I was headed (Eilat on the Gulf of Aqaba).

Old 10-12-18, 12:20 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
This is a great thread! So many nice bikes and adventures.
I don't have a Touring bike (so no pic to share) but I've been inspired to make some changes to my old MTB eg. fenders, racks, etc and see how serious I get.
Actually, Google refers to 26"(wheel) "touring bikes" as "Expeditions"....interesting.
Old 10-12-18, 02:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Blue tape is for seat height positioning upon the reassembly after shipping the bike to Portland. I removed the tape on the bars which indicated the bar's rotational angle in the stem. People who loosen these fittings when packing a bike and who don't indicate these aspects end up playing around to reset their position. This way I set it exactly as before.
When I shipped my bike to Missoula last year for a two-week loop tour the piece of red tape I had on my seatpost came off. I had to guesstimate seat height. Got it wrong and ended up hurting my knee after the second day. Fortunately, it was one of those injuries that only hurt when I walked. Next time I ship I will apply fresh tape.
Old 10-18-18, 09:49 PM
willoughby1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use a sharpie
Old 10-19-18, 07:13 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
When I shipped my bike to Missoula last year for a two-week loop tour the piece of red tape I had on my seatpost came off. I had to guesstimate seat height. Got it wrong and ended up hurting my knee after the second day. Fortunately, it was one of those injuries that only hurt when I walked. Next time I ship I will apply fresh tape.
for packing my bike up, I am able to just push the seatpost all the way down into the frame for packing, with the seat height low enough to be able to put some cardboard on it and to close the box lid.
Tape wont work in this case, and my seatpost is black, so my marks with marker or greasepencil tend to get messed up, so I too have had to mess around getting the seat height back to the proper height, knee feeling funny until I do.

finally scratched a line in the spot with a screwdriver, same on my wifes bike, to hopefully avoid the frustrating situation again.
Old 10-31-18, 05:41 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
Old 11-08-18, 07:52 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1667 Post(s)
Liked 1,820 Times in 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
finally scratched a line in the spot with a screwdriver, same on my wife's bike, to hopefully avoid the frustrating situation again.
On a different board, a rider reported their seat post snapped off at the exact spot of a scratch line that had been put on years earlier for saddle height adjustment. Yeah, no way, right? But how do you explain... Anyhoo, another poster made the suggestion of marking the insertion point with a center punch dimple rather than a scratch line.
Old 11-08-18, 08:06 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
On a different board, a rider reported their seat post snapped off at the exact spot of a scratch line that had been put on years earlier for saddle height adjustment. Yeah, no way, right? But how do you explain... Anyhoo, another poster made the suggestion of marking the insertion point with a center punch dimple rather than a scratch line.
was it a cf seatpost, and was the man named Bruce Banner, and was he kinda peeved at the time?

metal seatpost, black paint, scratch off a bit of paint to make a line.
I won't loose sleep over this one, and anyway, its not my bike so it wont affect me ;-)
Old 12-15-18, 12:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,489 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
mstateglfr- I see you're in Des Moines, IA. I drove through on my way to Grand Junction last May and stayed at what was one of the worst morels of my life. Motel 6 off IS 80 and 35. Stank of cigs, pee and such. My plan was to attend your town's Ride of Silence (I organized Rochester's for 8 years) but was so turned off I didn't want to stay another day. I did ride around and visited Beaverdale Bikes. Cool shop, much like what I wanted my long ago shop to become. But that wasn't enough to overcome the bad motel, I drove onto Denver and their RoS. The bike tour I was driving to is also on the Flicker site album page. Andy
I was going thru this thread tonight and realized I hadn't responded to this post earlier. Swear I did, but nope clearly I didn't.

that hotel(I know the one) is close to the worst way to judge this metro- rough that you happened to stay there! I wouldn't send my enemies there to sleep.

I know the Beaverdale Bikes owner, Ed, from around in the cycling community. Small niche store, but certainly a segment that isnt heavily served elsewhere, so it definitely serves a purpose and has value.
he built a frame a couple years ago in the same class I took last winter when I built my road bike frame. Not sure if he mentioned having built a frame(I'm guessing so, if you mentioned you build frames).
Old 12-15-18, 12:25 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by lax
Planned on a 4 day tour, but I ended it early since the weather was not cooperating.
love the old school 80s mtb repurposed for touring. Rocking some period correct friction thumbies and original style moto levers too!

love it.
Old 12-15-18, 12:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by SEAJAYBIKE

You can't see it in the photo but I made a carbon plate for the top of the 8 pack rack. It has "pockets" for my charger and cache battery.
to each their own- options allow for all of us to tour how we like.
quite the tail sticking out off the saddle. Does it wag a lot when riding out of saddle up hills? I havent rmtried such a setup with the weight so high and unsuppprted, Amy drawbacks or is it pretty normal feeling after a few minutes?
Old 12-15-18, 12:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by antmaster5000
Just finished a two month tour from Seattle to San Jose Del Cabo. We did the Olympic Peninsula before heading South, which was a total treat. Pretty proud of my setup, as it was lighter than almost every other tourist I encountered on the road. If I were to do the ride again I would have opted for tires with more puncture resistance, as I probably had 10 flats on Baja alone with my panaracer pasela protites. My buddy with schwalbe marathons had 3 for the whole trip. Larger tires would have been nice too (I rocked 27x1.25) but my road tires weren't too bad.

Baja was hot as hell during the summer, but all in all the trip was amazing
I like the mix of old and new. Iconic Centurion pro tour with the wonky short lived 2 bottle mounts both on the downtube, traditional front rack and bags, then a modern bikepacking bag in back.

very purpose chosen and individual. Neat.
Old 12-15-18, 10:22 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,859 Times in 2,307 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I was going thru this thread tonight and realized I hadn't responded to this post earlier. Swear I did, but nope clearly I didn't.

that hotel(I know the one) is close to the worst way to judge this metro- rough that you happened to stay there! I wouldn't send my enemies there to sleep.

I know the Beaverdale Bikes owner, Ed, from around in the cycling community. Small niche store, but certainly a segment that isnt heavily served elsewhere, so it definitely serves a purpose and has value.
he built a frame a couple years ago in the same class I took last winter when I built my road bike frame. Not sure if he mentioned having built a frame(I'm guessing so, if you mentioned you build frames).
Thanks for the reply, not that I was asking for one. Better late then never. I was rather focused on getting out to CO when I drove through Des Moines. The bad motel just further made the choice to drive on easier. Otherwise I thought DM was a nice town. Andy
Old 12-15-18, 12:07 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
I like the mix of old and new. Iconic Centurion pro tour with the wonky short lived 2 bottle mounts both on the downtube, traditional front rack and bags, then a modern bikepacking bag in back.

very purpose chosen and individual. Neat.
I appreciate that! I've always wondered about the two bottle cages for a supposedly top of the line tourer. I actually only had two cages for about half of my tour until I realized how much water I'd be drinking the farther South I got. Found a nice shop in San Fran that could throw on p-clamps and a matching stainless steel bottle cage for me. Also had a two liter bladder in one of my front panniers as a back-up for Baja.
Old 12-15-18, 03:52 PM
SEAJAYBIKE

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MSTATEGLFR. Yes I was a bit concerned about that too. The short story. It wasn't a problem.
Details.
  • The bag is actually pretty well supported. Arkel has a nice rack the bag is attached to which helps reduce sway to a minimum. I chose it for this reason. There was a change in the way the bike handled when out of the saddle climbing but I got used to it quickly. I just made my transitions from right to left pedal/bar pull a bit smoother. I saw plenty of 35-38mph "brakes on" descents and as long as I kept my knees on the top tube it was stable. Knees off over 30mph....not so much. I'm not sure if it was a rear bag issue or something else.
  • My all up weight with bike was only 54 lbs. At max capacity, under 8 of that was in the tail bag. So it looks worse than it is.
  • The bag was all clothing. That pic was taken assuming I was wearing the absolute minimum clothing. My biggest fear on the trip was being cold. I over packed to stay warm. I needed to be sure it would hold everything if I saw hot days. (I had two days riding it stuffed like this. (Day one and two)
Overall I was very happy with the performance of the bike for the trip.

to each their own- options allow for all of us to tour how we like.
quite the tail sticking out off the saddle. Does it wag a lot when riding out of saddle up hills? I havent rmtried such a setup with the weight so high and unsuppprted, Amy drawbacks or is it pretty normal feeling after a few minutes?
Old 12-16-18, 07:14 AM
jostan1
Stan

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse. Salsa Mukluk disc trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very Nice
Old 12-16-18, 07:16 AM
jostan1
Stan

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse. Salsa Mukluk disc trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What panniers are those?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.