Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The cult of carbon? Worth it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-13, 09:37 AM
spazegun2213

Bikes: '11 Allez Comp, '09 Pinarello Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You know how most of the time when something is too good to be true is usually is? Well, this may be the case, but I figure I'd ask you all about it. With My Allez needing a new frame I contacted a guy on Craigslist selling a 2008 Tarmac for $800. I went over and looked at it, and the ad was very truthful about the bike being well used. The clear coat was chipping in places, the shifters were mis-matched (105 front, and Ultegra rear), the saddle had seen a lot of miles, nice mavic rims laced to DA hubs and the bar tape needed replacement. That being said I offered to rent the bike for the weekend (I don't ride that much, so missing a weekend ride sucks) and he accepted. I swapped pedals, and in less than 12 hours I was enjoying the buttery smoothness of carbon.

The difference between that tarmac and my old allez was like night and day. While I had been on a few carbon bikes before, I'd never taken them for real rides (anything over a few miles). After 35+ miles, I was ready to plop down the asking price and take her home. Amazing, supple, buttery smooth, are not accurate enough terms for what the ride felt like. Over the ride I thought, there is no way its as rigid or as responsive as my allez... right? Over the climbs, twists and turns the bike didnt miss a beat. It communicated very well, did everything on command.

So WWBFD? would you buy the bike, and then try and part out a older bike? Sounds like a screaming good deal to me, but I need a reality check to make sure.
Old 04-15-13, 09:44 AM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd buy it, and gradual make improvements/upgrades in the pieces, while taking the best of your old and new bikes and putting them on the one you'll ride. Try to sell whatever parts are leftover on CL or fleabay, but don't expect a whole lot.
Old 04-15-13, 10:19 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I don't know anything about the market value of that particular model, but the fact that its carbon wouldn't be a factor for me. Just inspect it closely for cracks like you would any used bike.
Old 04-15-13, 10:21 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
WWBFD?

BFW buy a new Tarmac and put enve smart system carbon wheels on it, stick it in front of a garage door and probably never ride the thing.

If you think an '08 Tarmac is amazing, do not under any circumstances ride a new SL4 Tarmac.

I say buy it and enjoy it. The whole "but there's no warranty" argument pretty much doesn't apply when you pay $800 for the entire bike and if it breaks, you can probably get a crash replacement deal from specialized.
Old 04-15-13, 11:48 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let me guess WWBFD = What Would BF Do?

If you like it, want it and have the money then by all mean. But if a frame is all you need then I'm sure you can also find a used great frame with $800 on ebay.
Old 04-15-13, 01:53 PM
spazegun2213

Bikes: '11 Allez Comp, '09 Pinarello Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the info. Sure a frame is really all I need, but I've yet to see a carbon frame on ebay/CL for $800 alone (I'm also a 60-61, so its a small market for frames that big). I figure I could probably just turn around and sell the allez frame, and my components (which are older) and be nearly the cost to build up the new frame with my old parts.

ARG! stupid decisions!
Old 04-15-13, 02:24 PM
CrankAndYank
Banned.

Bikes: 2 x 2012 GT Series 1, 2012 P2C

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd buy another of these, can't beat the deal:

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400315__400315

Last edited by CrankAndYank; 04-15-13 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-15-13, 02:31 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ****egun2213
thanks for all the info. Sure a frame is really all I need, but I've yet to see a carbon frame on ebay/CL for $800 alone (I'm also a 60-61, so its a small market for frames that big). I figure I could probably just turn around and sell the allez frame, and my components (which are older) and be nearly the cost to build up the new frame with my old parts.

ARG! stupid decisions!
Well, it sounds like you've talked yourself into it. The 'carbon' bit doesn't really matter, but you're looking for a frame and you like this one and it seems you've sorted the finances so...
Old 04-15-13, 02:35 PM
Rambetter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is one thing that I like about titanium/steel versus carbon. It's that after you crash and get back on your bike the next day or next week, you have peace of mind that things won't fall apart underneath you.
Old 04-15-13, 03:03 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by ****egun2213
I've yet to see a carbon frame on ebay/CL for $800 alone
You're not looking very hard - here's a 2010 SL2 Roubaix in your size for $831, and included the seat, post, stem, bars etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/300884592091...84.m1423.l2649

8 piece 105 build kits are around $500 and all you'd need are wheels. (and another frame deal like that of course)
Old 04-15-13, 03:06 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rambetter
There is one thing that I like about titanium/steel versus carbon. It's that after you crash and get back on your bike the next day or next week, you have peace of mind that things won't fall apart underneath you.
except that the down tube and top tube are crinkled and you need to braze/weld in a couple of new tubes. carbon: it's stronger than you think.
Old 04-15-13, 03:07 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OP, check out www.pedalforce.com for new affordable good carbon frames.
Old 04-16-13, 07:05 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
or you could just get a brand new AL frame from about any of the big guys for around the same price. top shelf AL frames still make for excellent bikes.
Old 04-16-13, 10:00 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
That is a great frame. Buy it, sell your old and upgrade components over time as you see fit.