Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear Wheel Rub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear Wheel Rub

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 05:31 PM
BB6 UO8

Bikes: 1997-82 Peugeot AO8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear Wheel Rub

Hey I just recently bought and have been riding my Peugeot UO8 road bike back and forth to campus with no problems. Today, I was riding back to my apartment from campus and noticed a small drag at a certain point in the wheel rotation. At first I thought it might just be that the wheels were not true and that the rim was just rubbing against the brake pad but after I made it back to my apartment I spun the rear wheel to see if it at any point touched the brakes and it did not. Doing a little more investigation there is only a small bit of resistance for a short period of time as the wheel is spun but it occurs once every time the wheel goes a full circle. I assume that there is some kind of bearing that may have gotten some grit in it but as i have never dealt with a road bike before I am unsure what I need to do.

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 04-13-11, 05:45 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If its that consistant I`d suspect it has more to do with the bearing cones than the bearings themselves. Possibly you have a bent axle or a damaged bearing cone.

Pretty easy to check for a bent axle - just rotate it and watch for out of round movement. An axle isn`t expensive, and bearing cones are only a few dollars. Bearings are also pretty inexpensive but suggest you replace them all if any are damaged because different production runs have different tolerences.

The only serious problem you could run into is if the internal axle cups are damaged - in which case you`re looking at a new wheel.
Old 04-14-11, 12:29 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Is the tyre rubbing on the chainstays at the front somewhere?
Old 04-14-11, 08:37 AM
BB6 UO8

Bikes: 1997-82 Peugeot AO8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It ended up that the tire was rubbing on the chain stay. So I adjusted the back tire and locked it down good and that should work.