Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Crossing against red lights

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Crossing against red lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-24, 02:04 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,948 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
What CA Vehicle Code section was cited? CVC Section 22450 does not include any language requiring cyclists to put a foot on the ground.... https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...ctionNum=22450

In the experience of a friend of mine who is knowledgeable on this stuff, most judges will throw these violations out. Once in a while, some judge will be an a-hole about it, and not toss it.
to add, what if its a recumbent... I think the one around by me uses a prop of some sort.
Old 05-05-24, 09:17 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
The only thing that bothers me about this line of thinking is, what's good for the goose is good for the gander, and this is just one mistake away from "I'm sorry, I didn't see you there" after an accident. I suppose it's a matter of how much care you take to be sure everything is clear, but the same could be said for drivers.
I get your point. But, the same thing could happen crossing this same 4-lane road a few hundred yards in either direction…where at those crossings there’s only a STOP sign to observe before crossing the road. The only difference being is that those side streets are from adjacent “No Outlet” neighborhoods. So, I wouldn’t be able to make my way over to/from those streets. My neighborhood is somewhat larger, so our street/intersection has the traffic light.

Dan
Old 05-05-24, 04:30 PM
AirPhantomPhoto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Agreed Kaplang11, back/semi rural roads here for me, with more & more developments springing up every day. Pisses me off to no end when I've run into bicycles running stop signs in front of me so I have to hard brake to avoid them. And they are by state law supposed to stop if there is oncoming traffic, ie me. I've almost come close to picking a couple of them off.

Then when I'm able to safely pass them & give them a quick toot they flip me off, ggrrr. so close to slamming my brakes so they eat the back of my pickup. I'm gonna guess they are out of staters that have moved here thinking they can do whatever they want & screw the rest of us, they act the same way when they drive their vehicles too.

Yah yah, I know this is a bike forum but that crap just gives all bicyclists here a bad name from what my LBS & others are saying, that & the lycra clad set thinking they can ride mutli abreast on the roads when law says not too.
Old 05-07-24, 07:25 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by AirPhantomPhoto
Agreed Kaplang11, back/semi rural roads here for me, with more & more developments springing up every day. Pisses me off to no end when I've run into bicycles running stop signs in front of me so I have to hard brake to avoid them. And they are by state law supposed to stop if there is oncoming traffic, ie me. I've almost come close to picking a couple of them off.

Then when I'm able to safely pass them & give them a quick toot they flip me off, ggrrr. so close to slamming my brakes so they eat the back of my pickup. I'm gonna guess they are out of staters that have moved here thinking they can do whatever they want & screw the rest of us, they act the same way when they drive their vehicles too.

Yah yah, I know this is a bike forum but that crap just gives all bicyclists here a bad name from what my LBS & others are saying, that & the lycra clad set thinking they can ride mutli abreast on the roads when law says not too.
Cyclists are likely not running two-way stop signs into traffic. That would be stupid and suicidal. They are likely rolling through all-way stop signs, as many have noted previously. In some states this is legal, and others it is not, as others have also noted. If you have to hard-brake to avoid them, it sounds like you are also trying to run a stop sign in your pick-up truck, which is illegal in ALL states.

It is legal to ride two abreast, and often times it is much safer to do so, especially when the group is large. It is not because they are smug and arrogant, thinking that they can take up the whole lane and that others will just have to wait to pass. Taking up a lane when there is no shoulder, or when the lane is narrow encourages motorists to change lanes to pass, and it avoids the close passes.
Old 05-08-24, 12:08 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I get your point. But, the same thing could happen crossing this same 4-lane road a few hundred yards in either direction…where at those crossings there’s only a STOP sign to observe before crossing the road. The only difference being is that those side streets are from adjacent “No Outlet” neighborhoods. So, I wouldn’t be able to make my way over to/from those streets. My neighborhood is somewhat larger, so our street/intersection has the traffic light.

Dan
Good point, although I would say if those intersections are that risky, they should have lights installed.
Old 05-08-24, 09:03 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,681 Times in 790 Posts
I will always stop at a red light, UNLESS it's one of the vehicle detection lights that will not turn if you're on a bicycle. At those, I will wait a minute or two (depending on cross traffic) and then, when there is no cross traffic, I'll cross against the light. Otherwise, you could starve to death waiting for the green signal.
Old 05-08-24, 01:26 PM
HMJ
Long time part timer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts
Sometimes you have to...

Where I live there are two opposite-facing side streets that intersect a major state road. The side streets provide access to some nice cycling areas. The intersection has four-way traffic lights that will stay green for the state road unless tripped by the side streets, which of course have red lights.

The problems are a) there is no pedestrian button to press or crosswalk to use and b) the light cannot be tripped by a bicycle - only a motor vehicle will trip it (confirmed by state DOT). The state has zero interest in changing the traffic light so that it recognizes a bike - ironically considered a "vehicle" in my state.

So, my options are to either wait for who knows how long for a motor vehicle to trip the light from the side streets - or - cross with a red light when there is a break in traffic.

Guess which option I choose.
Old 05-10-24, 05:08 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1770 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 751 Posts
My town is a farming community. We have one blinking light at the Town Hall. When I'm riding nearby and there are red lights I will assess the situation and make a decision. For example, if I come to a red light and there is good line of sight I will just continue if there are no cars. As a 40 yr cyclist and former MSF Instructor I am acutely aware of where I am in space and time. Haven't had a problem.