Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

CAAD10 Purchase Dilemma

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

CAAD10 Purchase Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-14, 01:58 AM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
CAAD10 Purchase Dilemma

As posted here a few weeks ago, I've been attempting to sell my 3 year old CAAD10 Ultegra for a '15 model (better gearing setup for me front/rear, better cranks, newer group). Was fairly set on that. But then I came upon a killer, limited-time deal on a leftover Black Inc. SRAM Red model that would only run $400 more than a '15 Ultegra. After selling the Ksyriums off the Black Inc., it would actually end up cheaper than the Ultegra bike.

The dilemma is...the parts for a Red setup are considerably more expensive than anything Ultegra. Chains and cassettes aren't outrageous, but certainly more. But the shifters and derailleurs are really up there in price, and if anything wore out or was damaged, it'd be a stretch (into the depths of my wallet) to replace it. I still hear comments that SRAM parts may not be as reliable long-term as Shimano stuff, which leaves me a bit concerned about pulling the trigger on the Red-equipped bike. This bike purchase will be a long-term (as in many years) purchase, so I've got to think just beyond the initial purchase at maintenance and replacement costs.

Thoughts? Nudges in one direction or the other?
Old 11-20-14, 02:01 AM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
who says you need to upgrade back to red?
Old 11-20-14, 05:42 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
I wouldn't get the Black Inc. simply because it's hideously ugly.
Old 11-20-14, 06:28 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Really??? I happen to love my Black Inc. , the anodized finish is awesome and it's not a rolling billboard like just about every other bike out there. Bought mine on closeout last year for just over $2,000 with Di2, Ultegra Wheels, and the lightweight C1 cockpit, how can you say no?

Last edited by dvdslw; 11-20-14 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-20-14, 06:31 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Like Team Sarcasm said, no need to replace a worn or broken part with Red, a lesser grade component will serve you just as well just weigh a bit more or shift a fraction of a second slower, no big deal.
Old 11-20-14, 09:46 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1852 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
You're worrying unnecessarily. The Red stuff works great and should last you many years.

And as already said, you can replace Red parts with Force, Rival or Apex if needed.
Old 11-20-14, 09:57 AM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
You're worrying unnecessarily. The Red stuff works great and should last you many years.

And as already said, you can replace Red parts with Force, Rival or Apex if needed.
+1... I'm running Ultegra cassette and KMC chain on my one bike that has Red. I still have the old pre-yaw Red and perfectly happy.
Old 11-20-14, 10:16 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Seems like a waste of money. Do you really think the move from 6700 to 6800 Ultegra is a big enough jump to buy the same exact bike with different group? If you are going to upgrade I say really upgrade and get a Supersix Ultegra or a different make and model all together.

The Black inc with Red would be a nice upgrade weight wise but do you like SRAM shifting? I have had both and prefer Shimano but it' s personal preference.

If you really "NEED" to upgrade another option would be upgrade your current frame since it's basically the same frame as the newer model. Buy Ultegra Di2 for $1155

Shimano Di2 Ultegra 6870 11 Spd Double Groupset at Ribble Cycles

Dura Ace for $1253

Shimano Dura Ace 9000 11 Spd Double Groupset at Ribble Cycles

Or 6800 for $685

Shimano Ultegra 6800 Groupset | Merlin Cycles

Sell your old components to take up some of the upgrade cost
Old 11-20-14, 10:23 AM
chi-james

Bikes: team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This and there is also no difference between the caad10 from 3 years ago to the 2015 models in terms of geometry or manufacturing quality. Just color.

Originally Posted by rms13
Seems like a waste of money. Do you really think the move from 6700 to 6800 Ultegra is a big enough jump to buy the same exact bike with different group? If you are going to upgrade I say really upgrade and get a Supersix Ultegra or a different make and model all together.

The Black inc with Red would be a nice upgrade weight wise but do you like SRAM shifting? I have had both and prefer Shimano but it' s personal preference.

If you really "NEED" to upgrade another option would be upgrade your current frame since it's basically the same frame as the newer model. Buy Ultegra Di2 for $1155

Dura Ace for $1253

Or 6800 for $685

Old 11-20-14, 10:29 AM
qclabrat

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
moving to Red is significant upgrade in pricepoint and line up. I personally never saw the need to get components at the top level mainly due the fact that I do not race and do not need weight difference or precision Red or Dura Ace would offer. I'm actually a converted fan to SRAM products and moving most bikes over that I ride frequently. I would not buy Red just to get a "better" group, as some just can't stand the double tap. Demo the Red if you haven't already, for at least 4-5 miles and see if it does it for you. For me I knew it was for me after a mile or 2. Others are also mentioning Di2, which is another beast, I have no comments there and have yet to demo. If money were no object, I'd switch all road bikes to Campy Record/Chorus. But that's another debate in itself
Old 11-20-14, 10:47 AM
Team Sarcasm

Bikes: One with square wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dura Ace for $1253

Or 6800 for $685

This is a good idea. And you should be able to find discounted frames since it is year end sale time.

Originally Posted by chi-james
This and there is also no difference between the caad10 from 3 years ago to the 2015 models in terms of geometry or manufacturing quality. Just color.
Unless OP goes for the disc model
Old 11-20-14, 11:20 AM
Dreww10

For a variety of small reasons that all add up, I find a new CAAD10 a worthy upgrade over what I have. That said, I prefer to buy local, and the only local shops carry Cannondale and Specialized. Don't care for Specialized, so that narrows it down. The carbon models are simply out of my price range, and to be honest, I thoroughly enjoy the much cheaper aluminum frame.

Dura Ace for $1253

Or 6800 for $685

Old 11-20-14, 12:14 PM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have a tiagra 10s cassette and a 5700 fd on my otherwise red/force spec'd bike. It's heavy as hell, but cheap and works well.
Old 11-20-14, 05:53 PM
macca33

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see any issue on maintaining a SRAM Red bike - don't use that gear myself, but know plenty who do and they seem reasonably happy.

However, in saying that; in use, Ultegra6800 works just as well as SRAM Red and the only 'penalty' is a little more weight - hardly an issue really.

If you're unsure - go with Ultegra, if you reckon you can handle the SRAM, them go for that one for the little bit extra.

cheers
Old 11-20-14, 07:50 PM
RatMudd
All Terrain UFO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go for the Black Inc because it's a disc-capable frame (2015). The Ultegra is rim brakes (2015).
Old 11-20-14, 11:11 PM
Dreww10

Originally Posted by Lazyass
I'll admit, I do much prefer the solid black-on-black over the green-accented Black Inc. bike. It's not bad, it's just not as clean and menacing as the all-black.
Old 11-20-14, 11:13 PM
Dreww10

Originally Posted by RatMudd
I'd go for the Black Inc because it's a disc-capable frame (2015). The Ultegra is rim brakes (2015).
The bike in question is not the disc version. I just spent a pretty penny on rim brake wheels, so I won't be going to a disc anytime this decade at the least.
Old 11-21-14, 12:33 AM
Birthday

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige/7400, Gunnar Roadie/6800, Specialized Langster Steel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, thoughts:

How was buying an entirely new instance of the exact same bicycle ever a reasonable means of upgrading your groupset?

If you're so die-hard Shimano that you're willing to buy an entirely new bike for an incremental improvement within the same shifting family, why would SRAM ever factor into your options, even at a reduced price?

Why are you worried about long-term reliability if you swap groups every three years?

Could you simply admit you just want more shiny stuff, and you're seeking strangers' lukewarm rationalizations to repeat to your wife?