Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Coming back into the fold

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-11-19, 11:09 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts

Kind of excited... I bought this frame back around 1994 or thereabouts. Transferred parts from a Frankenstein Giant aluminum lugged carbon frame that was based at the time around all the different companies I liked. Mavic headset, and hubs, race face crankset, salsa stem, first generation 600 ultegra STI brifters, etc.
Also hand built the wheels.

when I first came to the US at the end of ‘99 the bike came with me and travelled from state to state, and post marriage. I sent the bike which was starting to show some sun fade to one of my friends back in Whistler BC right around early 2002. She’s had it on a Trainer ever since and anothe r friend rides my “Rosa” sporadically.

seems like I’m going to have her shipped back to me here in CA. I’m thinking a full restoration including paint and a semi modern groupset once I figure out what is possible. Not even sure what original manufacturing Year is but I think it may be a 1990.

At any rate, super excited and will definitely get a few rides in as she sits in her present livery.

yay!!!!
Likes For robbyville:
Old 07-12-19, 12:19 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Looks like a nice bike ... I really like that painting.
Old 07-12-19, 01:15 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Very racer-like with that long Salsa stem. Nice pump on the seat tube. A Topeak Road Morph if I’m not mistaken. But it is occupying valuable space where your 2nd water bottle cage should be. Topeak’s standard bracket is dumb that way. They sell an optional bracket (for like ~$5.95) that offsets the pump to the side slightly, thus permitting your bottle cage install over the top with slightly longer screws.
That pearlescent white paint with the blue saddle and detailing is beautiful.
Old 07-12-19, 02:29 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Nice. I have a plain black version of that same Selle San Marco, with the split rear. It's got a lotta butt miles on it, most recently on my Univega hybrid. Minimal padding but a flexible shell that gives just right in the right spots.
Old 07-12-19, 04:38 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Sounds like a great project. Check out the retro-roadies thread in the C&V sub forum.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 07-12-19, 05:04 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
That's a nice bike and it deserves more than being attached to a trainer. Here's to hoping you make more great memories with it
Old 07-12-19, 06:16 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Looks like a nice bike ... I really like that painting.
thanks! It holds a place in my heart! The painting is by a friend named Chili Thom from Whistler who unfortunately passed away a few years ago. Quite young in his 30’s. He was a great guy, artist, designer, and community member.

Originally Posted by masi61
Very racer-like with that long Salsa stem. Nice pump on the seat tube. A Topeak Road Morph if I’m not mistaken. But it is occupying valuable space where your 2nd water bottle cage should be. Topeak’s standard bracket is dumb that way. They sell an optional bracket (for like ~$5.95) that offsets the pump to the side slightly, thus permitting your bottle cage install over the top with slightly longer screws.
That pearlescent white paint with the blue saddle and detailing is beautiful.
Thanks! The paint is actually a light pink. I haven’t decided if I’m going to repaint in same but I think so.this was the first bike I ever built from the ground up and although it’s a mosh mash of parts I still like the way it turned out!

Originally Posted by horatio
Sounds like a great project. Check out the retro-roadies thread in the C&V sub forum.
Thank you, I’ll check that out!

Originally Posted by nomadmax
That's a nice bike and it deserves more than being attached to a trainer. Here's to hoping you make more great memories with it
Old 07-12-19, 06:17 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by nomadmax
Agreed, thanks for the kind words!
Likes For robbyville:
Old 07-12-19, 06:21 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10142 Post(s)
Liked 5,831 Times in 3,139 Posts
Pretty bike, especially the (De)rosy color. Deserves an appropriate stem and a frame pump.
Old 07-13-19, 07:26 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
that bike is begging for early 90s Campagnolo.
Old 07-13-19, 08:55 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by noodle soup
that bike is begging for early 90s Campagnolo.
Agreed that’s what I’m thinking too. What do you think of modern carbon wheels though?
Old 07-13-19, 11:50 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by robbyville
Agreed that’s what I’m thinking too. What do you think of modern carbon wheels though?
I would do a modern low profile CF clincher(LB 25mm hoops).
Old 07-13-19, 12:08 PM
robbyville

Yeah good call.

I think the bike is a 7 spd hub. What do you think the width would be and will I have to cold set for new wheels?
Old 07-13-19, 01:12 PM
noodle soup

Yeah good call.

I think the bike is a 7 spd hub. What do you think the width would be and will I have to cold set for new wheels?
A steel frame will take an 8-speed hub with just a little effort. My Guerciotti is 126mm spaced, and a 8-speed 130mm hub fits fine. It takes a little effort, but nothing your fingers can’t manage.

If you are patient, you’ll probably be able to do 8-speed Chorus for about $500 or so.
Old 07-13-19, 01:21 PM
robbyville

Exactly what I’m looking for. Chorus circa ‘93-‘95 I figure
Likes For robbyville:
Old 08-05-19, 07:45 AM
robbyville

All boxed up and ready to go, hopefully heading out this way on Wednesday.

I realized that the Brifters would be 1st gen shimano 600 sti 8 spd.

if I buy some new wheels, I assume I’ll have to build them up with older hubs, is that right? A modern hub would not fit due to axle length regardless of spacers between hub/cassette, correct?

I’m thinking of keeping the crank though, still pretty unique
Likes For robbyville:
Old 08-05-19, 09:33 AM
noodle soup

All boxed up and ready to go, hopefully heading out this way on Wednesday.

I realized that the Brifters would be 1st gen shimano 600 sti 8 spd.

if I buy some new wheels, I assume I’ll have to build them up with older hubs, is that right? A modern hub would not fit due to axle length regardless of spacers between hub/cassette, correct?

I’m thinking of keeping the crank though, still pretty unique
If that bike is 8 speed, that means it has a 130mm hub. An 11 speed hub is only 131mm, so I wouldn't worry about frame spacing.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 08-05-19, 11:03 PM
robbyville

If that bike is 8 speed, that means it has a 130mm hub. An 11 speed hub is only 131mm, so I wouldn't worry about frame spacing.
Thank you sir! I’ll measure when it comes. The more I think about it, the more I’m going towards funky and cool, retro but not necessarily era specific...
Old 08-06-19, 09:20 AM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
robbyville, I can picture this De Rosa with Campy Potenza Silver. For the wheel set, I'd go with H+Son TB14s, something like this:https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...5psvnmio8irqh4
Old 08-06-19, 09:26 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by primov8
robbyville, I can picture this De Rosa with Campy Potenza Silver. For the wheel set, I'd go with H+Son TB14s,
Oh hell no. That crankset is hideous.

Get a Chorus groupset https://www.merlincycles.com/campagn...018-71985.html

and these wheels https://www.lightbicycle.com/New-Gen...ompatible.html
Old 08-06-19, 10:16 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

This Colnago actually belongs to a good friend of mine. I post this not as competition for your De Rosa, but to show what's possible with a full restoration. This is a completely new paint job. The attention to detail, correct colors and graphics is amazing, and the bike is even more impressive looking at it up close and in person. The pic doesn't do it justice. Good luck with your restoration!
Old 08-06-19, 06:05 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by primov8
robbyville, I can picture this De Rosa with Campy Potenza Silver. For the wheel set, I'd go with H+Son TB14s, something like this:https://www.velomine.com/index.php?m...5psvnmio8irqh4
Thanks Primov! I like that wheelset, but think I want the wheels to be a bit more modern in appearance. I've bookmarked the website though!

Oh hell no. That crankset is hideous.

Get a Chorus groupset https://www.merlincycles.com/campagn...018-71985.html

and these wheels https://www.lightbicycle.com/New-Gen...ompatible.html
Ha! I still like the looks of the crankset, but perhaps only because its unique and nostalgic in an MTB kind of way. We'll see. I definitely like the wheel direction, not sure that I want to go quite so modern on the groupset but after looking at the Colnago below I'm starting to rethink. Hmmmm....

Originally Posted by on the path

This Colnago actually belongs to a good friend of mine. I post this not as competition for your De Rosa, but to show what's possible with a full restoration. This is a completely new paint job. The attention to detail, correct colors and graphics is amazing, and the bike is even more impressive looking at it up close and in person. The pic doesn't do it justice. Good luck with your restoration!
I absolutely hear you. I'm all in when it comes to the full restoration. In fact there's a fellow in town that I ride with who owns an auto shop and has done a number of absolutely perfect restorations on his own Motorolla Eddie Merck's, and quite a few others. He does an unbelievable job with them and I'm hoping that he will help me with mine albeit I'm not planning a team paint scheme, but more sticking with the paint job that made this bike so attractive to me at the beginning.
Old 08-06-19, 06:30 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
That will be a nice classic ride
Old 08-06-19, 08:33 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Something to be said for treating an old ride to new bits... I freshened up my old 92 bianchi with a modern drive train. It was 7 speed back in the day, and I just stuffed ultegra 6500 on there in about '98, and now 5800 last fall. I personally didn't have any issues with the frame and didn't bother getting it cold set. It's basically a 2mm difference on each side - most frames, including my carbon frames flex at least that much. I do have to apply slight pressure inside the rear triangle to get the axle seated but it rides straight, so I'm OK with it.

You MIGHT want to think about outfitting it with a classic drive train (DT shifters et. al.) and hit up some Eroica events up in Paso in the spring.

(I've replaced the stem and bars since this pic... would have put a different seat post on but it's apparently some bizarre size)
Likes For TrojanHorse:
Old 08-06-19, 09:42 PM
noodle soup

Ha! I still like the looks of the crankset, but perhaps only because its unique and nostalgic in an MTB kind of way. We'll see. I definitely like the wheel direction, not sure that I want to go quite so modern on the groupset but after looking at the Colnago below I'm starting to rethink. Hmmmm....
That Potenza crankset makes want to hurl. I love the look of silver components on a classic frameset, but not the Potenza groupset. Even the old Veloce groupset looks better.

I went with 1991 Chorus when I built up my classic Guerciotti. I looks great, and is fairly smooth, but nowhere near as smooth as modern Chorus.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.