Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bee Magnet / Insects in Helmet

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-28-20, 12:51 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts

The Perfect Storm.
With Corona going on, I did a buzz cut on my hair. I didn't leave much in the way of protection.
I've been doing a lot of riding on Canal Trails (beside water)... And, Bees like the water source.
Mix this with the Bug Magnet helmet I'm using and I keep having to stop and empty out the large insects that I'm scooping up on my travels.

Not my idea, but a hair net over the helmet works great. I was unsure which to buy (size & Construction) and could find no recommendation.

So here you go. Not saying this is the only choice, but these cover my Kask (Size Large, no jokes please) just fine.

Qiansou Disposable Hair Nets Durable Nylon Breathable Honeycomb Latex Free Pack of 100 Black
At $14 per 100 - If anyone laughs at you using a hairnet, you can afford to offer them one or two.
The Honeycomb construction does not obstruct airflow and the 1/8" holes stop the big stuff that bugs people in our area.

All the best

Barry

Last edited by Barry2; 04-28-20 at 01:06 PM.
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-28-20, 01:04 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,435 Times in 985 Posts
Are the holes in a hair net small enough to keep bees and wasps out? I have problems with both of those infrequently. Bigger problem is the mating swarms of small gnats that hang in the air in the early morning; you don't see them until you're right in the middle of them; inhale too many and you'll suddenly have a coughing fit trying to get them out of your throat!. I used to wear a neck-gaiter type of covering that I could pull up/pull down when approaching areas I knew would have them, but those gaiters are all sold out right now (coronavirus).
Old 04-28-20, 01:07 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
Are the holes in a hair net small enough to keep bees and wasps out?
Yep - So far, So good!
Pic I added may help

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-28-20, 01:20 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
just spray your head down with some kind of safe repellent
Old 04-28-20, 02:22 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I've had trouble with bees inside the helmet too. Since having pre-cancerous spots removed from my bald old head, I usually wear a cycling cap under my helmet, but this Smith helmet has a honeycomp helmet liner/cushion that works very well at letting air in and keeping critters out. The holes are less than 1/8" diameter. The worse one was getting a bee in my helmet strap, and getting stung on the exposed area below the helmet. Got one on my inner knee too.
Old 04-29-20, 01:49 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I've had trouble with bees inside the helmet too. Since having pre-cancerous spots removed from my bald old head, I usually wear a cycling cap under my helmet, but this Smith helmet has a honeycomp helmet liner/cushion that works very well at letting air in and keeping critters out. The holes are less than 1/8" diameter. The worse one was getting a bee in my helmet strap, and getting stung on the exposed area below the helmet. Got one on my inner knee too.
Reminds me of that Bontrager WaveCel helmet thingy...
Old 04-29-20, 04:09 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
My bees in helmet count is pretty low, but I like that idea.

Doing the Seattle to Portland ride last year I had a bee go right into my mouth and sting my inner lip before I spit it out. It started to swell up. Years ago, riding a motorcycle, I something sting me on my neck and had an allergic reaction that required an emergency visit, so I stopped at the next rest stop with a medical tent and they said it didn't look too bad in there - kept going, felt fine.

Most times seems like bee hits me in the chest, occasionally goes down my shirt in summer. Stopping quickly to deal with that led to an embarrassing "Oops, forgot I was clipped in" incident many years ago which provided much amusement for my wife on that ride.
Old 04-29-20, 06:23 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Nice! Cheap, convenient, effective, unobtrusive. I like it.

Low bee density around here, so I've only been stung on the head once, when a bee got trapped between a helmet strap and my face just in front of my ear, which your solution would not prevent - nothing is perfect. I have had large-ish bugs (bees? dunno, can't always tell) fly into helmet vents and down my jersey - I suppose I provided some entertainment to passers-by as I sat up and whipped off glasses/helmet or unzipped jersey (as appropriate) while riding down the road.

I also left my helmet outside to dry overnight once, and did not realize that earwigs had decided my helmet made a nice spot to nap. That time I actually stopped to brush the earwigs off my head and shake them out of my helmet (5 - 6 or so of the little suckers). I had the willies for a while after that, and air moving over my head felt like bugs crawling for a time on that ride.