Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

700 x 28 tubeless recommendations - rec rider

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-20, 05:49 PM
shortnugly
shortnugly

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Old Raleigh Technium Peak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

back on road tires after a long hiatus,
reconstructing an older Giant OCR1, just picked up a set of Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels with 15.4 mm internal rim width.

Looking for a recommendation for 28 wide tires, not too heavy but not competition price tag. I don't race so Im looking for a set that can withstand about 2000 miles a season, no gravel or offroad

thanks in advance
Old 04-30-20, 05:54 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
why tubeless, especailly at 28...... I have had really good experience with the Conti GP5000 I am 240 and ride and commute on them 700x28 running 115psi just under 600 miles no flats no issue (compared to vitoria corsa g which at similar mileage i ha 6 flats) your can get the gp5000 for $35 to 40 from the UK bike shops. and if you must they make a tubeless version

Old 04-30-20, 07:59 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
28s on a 15.4 are going to balloon like crazy. I have Fulcrum 4s (17mm inner rim diameter) and 25s balloon more than I'd like them too.
​​​​
Old 04-30-20, 11:59 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
I would do tubulars (again) before I would ever try tubeless. That way lies madness. a 25mm or 28mm high pressure clincher from any of at least three companies should more than serve the road needs of someone that is "not racing". FWIW.
Old 05-01-20, 01:01 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Continental GP 5000 tubeless.
I do not know how many miles you can get out of them a season.
Bicycle rolling resistance

Last edited by Gconan; 05-01-20 at 01:05 AM.
Likes For Gconan:
Old 05-01-20, 04:34 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Schwalbe Pro One tubeless.
Old 05-01-20, 12:40 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I would get a wider rim with at least 21mm internal for 28's
Old 05-01-20, 04:34 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
Continental GP 5000 tubeless.
I do not know how many miles you can get out of them a season.
Bicycle rolling resistance
I’ve got about 5,000 miles on mine and they still look like they have plenty of life left in them. Another vote for GP5000TL. They are fairly expensive, though.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-01-20, 04:47 PM
Ross520

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I would do tubulars (again) before I would ever try tubeless. That way lies madness. a 25mm or 28mm high pressure clincher from any of at least three companies should more than serve the road needs of someone that is "not racing". FWIW.
Tubeless has little to do with racing... It's about a more comfortable ride, and less flat-tires. Why would you go tubular (which is just-about EVERYTHING to do with racing) before even trying tube-less? Sounds like you're so stuck in your ways you aren't open to new ideas anymore, which makes your opinion irreverent being that you have ZERO experience with them.
​​​​​​
Everyone I know who's gone TL has never gone back. Yet here's someone who's never even run them telling someone else they're a bad idea. Absurd.

Sorry for the bad attitude, but posts like this are difficult for my covid brain to comprehend.

​​
Likes For Ross520:
Old 05-01-20, 06:39 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by Ross520
Tubeless has little to do with racing... It's about a more comfortable ride, and less flat-tires. Why would you go tubular (which is just-about EVERYTHING to do with racing) before even trying tube-less? Sounds like you're so stuck in your ways you aren't open to new ideas anymore, which makes your opinion irreverent being that you have ZERO experience with them.
​​​​​​
Everyone I know who's gone TL has never gone back. Yet here's someone who's never even run them telling someone else they're a bad idea. Absurd.

Sorry for the bad attitude, but posts like this are difficult for my covid brain to comprehend.

​​
just look in mechanics and see the problems people have with tubeless. Tubeless was originally for big tires on mountain bikes at low pressure to avoid pinch flats and sealant works well in the lower pressure. That make sense for big tires on gravel and road bikes....but 28 mm is not a big tire and if you are any significant weight the pressure needed is such that sealant is not as effective. so at 28 and below with 32 being border line I don't see any advantage for tubeless. also tubeless have stiffer sidewalls so I am not sure how you get comfort in a 28 tubeless over a good 28 tire with a thin tube.

Old 05-01-20, 06:54 PM
Ross520

Originally Posted by squirtdad
just look in mechanics and see the problems people have with tubeless. Tubeless was originally for big tires on mountain bikes at low pressure to avoid pinch flats and sealant works well in the lower pressure. That make sense for big tires on gravel and road bikes....but 28 mm is not a big tire and if you are any significant weight the pressure needed is such that sealant is not as effective. so at 28 and below with 32 being border line I don't see any advantage for tubeless. also tubeless have stiffer sidewalls so I am not sure how you get comfort in a 28 tubeless over a good 28 tire with a thin tube.
That sample is flawed. Of course people are posting issues in that mechanic sub-forum. People are far more likely to bring up a problem (because it obviously requires a solution) than to say something is working just fine.

If you go to a dishwasher forum, you're gonna find a lot of posts about broken ones. You won't fine any threads titled "hey guys, dishwasher is running great!".

There is a name for this type of bias, but I am too tired to remember at-the-moment.
​​​​
Likes For Ross520:
Old 05-01-20, 07:34 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
This tubeless thread has even more misinformation and disinformation than a typical tubeless thread on here. Amazing. I always have to wonder-- if a person has zero experience with road tubeless, what is it that compels them to blunder into these threads and offer up baseless opinions?

I am a counterpoint-- I haven't put miles on a tubed tire in almost 5 years. I have close to 50,000 miles tubeless-- and my Cervelo runs 700x23s. If you get a lot of "nuisance flats," tubeless is an advantage, regardless of the tire width.

In 700x28, I would look at the Giant Gavia AC1, Continental GP5000, and Hutchinson Intensive 2. Pricepoints will be close on all three, ~$50 a tire, but all will easily go 3,000+ miles as a rear. I get 3,000-3,500 out of Gavia 700x25s.
Old 05-01-20, 09:02 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross520
​​​​​​

​​
Judging by how much Orange Seal goo was on the inside of my rear triangle when I washed my bike last week (it had been a couple thousand miles since the last wash...I know, I know). I’d hate to know how many rides and how much time was saved over the past months. There are probably a dozen or more Orange Seal boogers on the back tire alone. I didn’t even know about a single one of them!

There is some comfort advantage too, but I probably run my tires with more air than I should, so the comfort difference is minimal for me. And It’s still worth it.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-01-20, 11:46 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Just saying. My Bontrager Hardcase 23mm 700c have never flatted in two years. I don't even carry tire tools for short trips. I'm on that bike every day on the same roads where Schwalbe Marathons flat monthly and Kenda Kwests flat daily. No special rims, no special tires, no goop. If it ain't broke I ain't fixing it.
Old 05-02-20, 08:24 AM
squirtdad

so I will go back to orriginal and keep it simple...... I have been super happy with my Conti 5000. I ride them with tubes at 115 psi. I would expect the tubeless version to be good also as this is a flagship tire for Continental so whatever flavor GP5000 for the win

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-02-20, 08:20 PM
Ross520

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Judging by how much Orange Seal goo was on the inside of my rear triangle when I washed my bike last week (it had been a couple thousand miles since the last wash...I know, I know). I’d hate to know how many rides and how much time was saved over the past months. There are probably a dozen or more Orange Seal boogers on the back tire alone. I didn’t even know about a single one of them!

There is some comfort advantage too, but I probably run my tires with more air than I should, so the comfort difference is minimal for me. And It’s still worth it.
And yet people bash tubeless regularly on this forum, without even having tried it.

Luddites gonna luddite.
Likes For Ross520:
Old 05-03-20, 11:24 PM
shortnugly
shortnugly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So I picked up a 3 Michelin Lithion.2 700x25 tires for $35 new. I figured thats a start. Cheap enough to throw these on and start riding.

Also picked up a set of DT Swiss All Road R1700 wheels.Bladed spokes, very lightly used.

Internal width 14.45mm

10 speed Shimano hub

Front is 710g without skewer

Rear is 865g without skewer

My Fulcrum Racing 7 are:

Front 800g without skewer

Rear 1095g without skewer

Internal width 15.4mm

So I'm going with the DT Swiss wheels off the get go and the Michelin tires. Once I lose about 7 lbs of Covid wonderful beer weight, I can get serious about a different wheelset with a wider inter rim width so I can eventually go 28 tubeless.

Thanks for all your info, good knowledge i'll retain on my next step. I'll post back when I get everything setup.

Old 05-03-20, 11:27 PM
shortnugly
shortnugly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 05-03-20, 11:59 PM
shortnugly
shortnugly