Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First time going clipless - how to avoid the road rash?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-20, 07:26 PM
Awells32

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

My current pedals have toe cages, but I'm looking at switching out to clipless. Are there any brands you all recommend or ones to definitely avoid? And any tips to avoid, or at least reduce, the amount of time picking tarmac out of my elbows and knees?
Old 05-02-20, 07:55 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Practice with the MTB at a nice grassy park. SPDs using the SH-56 cleats are a little easier than SPD-SLs for me.
Likes For adamhenry:
Old 05-02-20, 08:00 PM
MSchott

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Sport SL4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Yep, practice on the grass. You likely will fall over a few times. The good news is you will be nearly at a standstill and the rash will be minor. The keys are to unclip as you approach the stop and if you are unsure whether to stop or not such as at a stop sign in a residential neighborhood, plan to stop. The other good news is due to the pandemic, traffic is far lighter than normal so you won't have to stop as often in the previous scenario.
Old 05-02-20, 08:12 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
As stated, SPD are really easy and most have adjustable tension.

For "road" pedals, i've ridden LOOK for years and they make them with different tension springs.
Old 05-02-20, 08:14 PM
Awells32

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Guess I'll be giving it a few laps of the garden first then. I live in the UK though, so non of those pesky stop signs you guys have, plus I live in a tiny village so never any traffic apart from the occasional tractor anyway.
how do you guys set up the position for the cleats on the pedals and the shoes? Ideally I'd just go into a shop and get some help, but that's not really feasible at the moment.
Old 05-02-20, 08:20 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Awells32
how do you guys set up the position for the cleats on the pedals and the shoes?
Plenty of video on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...cleat+position
Old 05-03-20, 05:04 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Practice in a door frame just to get the feeling of clipping out.

And no matter how much you practice, you're going to miss it at some point. It happens to everyone.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 05-03-20, 05:48 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
After a few weeks you'll get really comfortable and forget all about them. Then plonk, probably stopping at an intersection. Hopefully you're still in lockdown and there won't be a busload of school kids there laughing at you.
Likes For znomit:
Old 05-03-20, 06:48 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If you have a trainer, start out there. Same for a stationary bike. Move on to grassy areas. You can also ride around a school or business park during non business hours and practice your in and out up close to a building leaning up against a wall.
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-03-20, 06:56 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
This is somewhat a subjective topic but the only thing I will say to avoid.......the cheap pedals! You don’t really want to get a $15 or so pair of clipless because I did when I went clipless and almost gave up due to poor quality. Shimano 105 or Ultegra are a good start. Adjustable and a decent width platform for stability. I like Time Expresso pedals myself and the iClic system.

The bottom line is you may take suggestions here and buy something and not like it. In that case try another brand if you are financially able until you find that one pedal. But I would suggest to a newbie to clipless.....Shimano 105 as a start.

To your avoiding road crash and rash.......inevitably you will fall while clipped in. It is like riding a bike for the first time no training wheels, got to fall a few times to get the hang of it.
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 05-03-20, 07:03 AM
fried bake

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
My current pedals have toe cages, but I'm looking at switching out to clipless. Are there any brands you all recommend or ones to definitely avoid? And any tips to avoid, or at least reduce, the amount of time picking tarmac out of my elbows and knees?
I recommend time Iclic. Easier to clip in and out of than others. As others said practice on grass. If you fall at a slow stop sign because you forget to clip out, you’ll not get hurt but then you’ll never forget to clip out again.
Old 05-03-20, 08:19 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
SPD. You can set them up for easy release.
Likes For Gconan:
Old 05-03-20, 08:19 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
SPD, single-sided pedals, with a platform on the reverse side. That way when you’re still in town you can continue riding with one foot unclipped, and clip in proper when you get out into the country.

Start with shoes with a recessed, 2-bolt cleat. As you become more comfortable with clipping in, you can consider upgrading your road bike to SPD-sl or Look Keo or Speedplay etc. But you can still keep the 2-bolt pedals for off-road, commuter, trainer bike, whatever. Or you can just ride the 2-bolt forever if that makes you happy.
Old 05-03-20, 08:22 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
This is somewhat a subjective topic but the only thing I will say to avoid.......the cheap pedals! You don’t really want to get a $15 or so pair of clipless because I did when I went clipless and almost gave up due to poor quality. Shimano 105 or Ultegra are a good start. Adjustable and a decent width platform for stability. I like Time Expresso pedals myself and the iClic system.

The bottom line is you may take suggestions here and buy something and not like it. In that case try another brand if you are financially able until you find that one pedal. But I would suggest to a newbie to clipless.....Shimano 105 as a start.

To your avoiding road crash and rash.......inevitably you will fall while clipped in. It is like riding a bike for the first time no training wheels, got to fall a few times to get the hang of it.
I guess my experience is the opposite. I’m currently running some of the more expensive ($189) Shimano SPD pedals. I can’t tell any difference between them and two or three pair of $30-40 Shimano SPD pedals that I have.

I found I really didn’t have any trouble getting used to clipless, though it felt a little weird for about ten days. After riding them for over a year, I fell over just the other day because I stopped in a way I don’t normally stop (after a very low speed turn around). And I hadn’t unclipped early enough before stopping. Unclipping early is the key for me. If I do that a good 10-12 feet before I actually stop, everything is fine.
Old 05-03-20, 02:50 PM
rnothog

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
SH56 cleats, for sure. A caveat: these MIGHT pop loose if/when you come up out of the saddle to stand and power up. However, they will also pop loose when you begin to panic because you are close to falling...and you flail a bit. They are very good all round if you're a moderate rider, like me. I have two fake hips, so I am careful about these things.
Old 05-03-20, 03:32 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
If you're used to riding toe clips, the the transition should be easy. Just a slightly different foot movement.

If you've ever ridden toe clips with cleats, then the twist to get the feet loose will be similar.

Old 05-03-20, 03:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Slow
Clip out
Stop

NOT

Slow
Stop
Fall over sideways

Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-03-20, 04:16 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I also started with old clips and straps and this is easier. Clipless is much easier than cages and straps. Rotate your heel out. That's it. It's literally one single monoplanar motion. Practice it a few times on each side.
Old 05-03-20, 04:23 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
If you find yourself beyond the point of no return drop your body down on that side as close to the ground as possible next to the bike and roll. Don't put out your hand to stop your fall. This is not intuitive it takes a conscious effort.
Old 05-03-20, 04:32 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I had to beat this into my head- Any issues downshifting when going uphill, unclip immediately.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 05-03-20, 04:37 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
If you can maneuver with clips, clip less will be a breeze. Just remember to unclip when you come to a stop.
Old 05-03-20, 04:54 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
And no matter how much you practice, you're going to miss it at some point. It happens to everyone.
I'm sure I'll totally **** myself over with this one, but I'm still waiting for it to happen to me - 10 years and counting, tick-tock.
Old 05-03-20, 05:02 PM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I have always used the SPD system and find it works well. I know that the proper road clip-in pedals have slightly better power transfer and may reduce hot-spots on your feet.

That being said, I have never had significant soreness or hot spots from SPD. SPD shoes are easier to walk-in as well.

My advise is consider SPD. Decide whether you would still like to ride the bike with conventional shoes sometimes. If so, consider a pedal with SPD one side and cage on the other.

As far as technique goes. You can play with the tension and also a useful habit is to unclip on at least one side when riding in traffic or in terrain where you may need to get a foot down quickly.

Also, when climbing you need to remember you have very little reaction time so if you need to stop, give one or two powerful strokes to give a small time buffer to get at least one foot out before you lose momentum and stop.
Old 05-03-20, 06:58 PM
eflayer

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
i just installed Shimano SPD XT 8100 two sided pedals

after being on Speedplay Frogs for 15 years. Even with the pedal tension adjusted to the least tension I still found it a bit of a challenge to unclip. Not terrible, just not a no brainer. The pedals come with SH51 cleats included in the box. I bought a separate set of SH56 cleats and the difference is night and day easier with SH56. Like zero problem exiting ever.
Old 05-03-20, 09:51 PM
rjhammett

Bikes: 85 De Rosa, 92 Merckx MX Leader, 99 Tommasini Sintesi, 08 Look 585, 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, 72 Holdsworth Professional

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 241 Posts
Get Shimano SPD pedals. A big added bonus is that you can actually walk in the shoes with SPD cleats without feeling like you are wearing skates on steps. I keep the tension on my pedals really low. After a long ride when my legs are like noodles I can get out of my pedals quickly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.