Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 09-08-20, 05:04 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Welp.

A major "weather event" has caused some massive forest fires very nearby. Ride today is 1000% no-go, and tomorrow will probably be the same. It's darker than civil twilight outside and ash is falling from the sky. Two of my friends had their homes burnt to the ground this morning, and it's not even close to contained.

Photo of my backyard at 3:45 pm from my iPhone11 Pro with no filter (seriously):

Old 09-08-20, 06:46 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Cypress Stay safe. We have a fire here although inland versus the coast with winds due later today.

Last edited by Hermes; 09-08-20 at 06:58 PM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-08-20, 06:54 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
Two of my friends had their homes burnt to the ground this morning,

That would be terrible, start from scratch with nothing.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-08-20, 07:02 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Has anyone on here tried intermittent fasting? I'm intrigued by the 16/8 method, which really doesn't seem like fasting, you're just limiting yourself to eating within an 8 hour window of time.
Do it now. Kinda use Keto for a couple weeks to get weight down I.F. to maintain. I like beer too much to do Keto and I don't race. I eat noon/1:00. Lost about 15 and maintaining. With I.F. I can run on it and ride slowly on it. For years (my 20s) I did 100-200 mile rides maybe 40X a year using mainly fat and know for me it works better than carbs for getting to the destination. When I raced, I used carbs.
Likes For Doge:
Old 09-09-20, 09:15 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Stay safe Cypress. I feel horrible for your friends and the many other people losing their homes. It must be devastating.

We are pretty clear up here in Portland this morning but I can see the bank of smoke to the south.
Likes For cmh:
Old 09-09-20, 11:08 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
There are evacuations in my parents' county now. Luckily for them it's 25 miles upwind, so it's incredibly unlikely to reach them.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-09-20, 02:11 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 157 Posts
All of you guys on the west coast stay safe! Those fires are no joke.

I popped a rib out of place wakeboarding, got it popped back in place, then got in a small car wreck and it popped back out Saturday. I waited two days to go back to the doc and could barely breath half way in, but after getting it put back in place and taking some prednisone I feel a lot better. Speaking of prednisone, I have had two really good days on the bike, but I can't sleep. Tons of energy and endurance but I just lay in bed thinking of the next day. Probably going to end it two days early so I can get some rest...
Likes For procrit:
Old 09-09-20, 03:18 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Hope you stay safe cypress.

Originally Posted by procrit
All of you guys on the west coast stay safe! Those fires are no joke.

I popped a rib out of place wakeboarding, got it popped back in place, then got in a small car wreck and it popped back out Saturday. I waited two days to go back to the doc and could barely breath half way in, but after getting it put back in place and taking some prednisone I feel a lot better. Speaking of prednisone, I have had two really good days on the bike, but I can't sleep. Tons of energy and endurance but I just lay in bed thinking of the next day. Probably going to end it two days early so I can get some rest...
Err keep an eye on things. Steroids can induce mania.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 09-09-20, 10:13 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Map test done again today.
215 about 2-3 weeks ago and 225 today.

Shooting for 240 on the map test by the end of the month. After I was injured in college and had to recover for a full summer, I was at about this power after a few weeks of riding. But I used to weigh 148-150 then lol. Not really that surprised.

Should go up a bit just as I learn to suffer again.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 09-10-20, 05:55 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
my 9 y/o is having some noob gains, the past 2 days he's been averaging 12mph after starting in March at about 8mph. He hadn't been riding much during the summer because he isn't really into it (despite begging for, and receiving, a Felt road bike), but I've decided the exercise is more important than the future ramifications of him hating bikes lol Plus, it's basically going to be his phys ed for the school year since he's on a hybrid attendance model.

I am not exaggerating when I say that kids in my neighborhood, of which there are many, hardly get near the recommended amount of exercise. They'll get on their bikes to ride a few hundred feet to the next congregating point and stand around doing whatever they do lol Of course, exercise isn't important to kids because it isn't important to adults, a couple of folks do go on walks around our neighborhood loop but for the most part adults aren't out with their kids. Hopefully my son will look back and be glad that dad takes an hour to ride around with him.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 09-10-20, 12:44 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I am not exaggerating when I say that kids in my neighborhood, of which there are many, hardly get near the recommended amount of exercise. They'll get on their bikes to ride a few hundred feet to the next congregating point and stand around doing whatever they do lol Of course, exercise isn't important to kids because it isn't important to adults, a couple of folks do go on walks around our neighborhood loop but for the most part adults aren't out with their kids. Hopefully my son will look back and be glad that dad takes an hour to ride around with him.
It's the same around here. Kids are lazy and glued to their screens. It's pretty sad.
Old 09-10-20, 12:53 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Yard work keeps killing my workouts. I get sore legs from crouching and I can't really put in any real efforts.

my 9 y/o is having some noob gains, the past 2 days he's been averaging 12mph after starting in March at about 8mph. He hadn't been riding much during the summer because he isn't really into it (despite begging for, and receiving, a Felt road bike), but I've decided the exercise is more important than the future ramifications of him hating bikes lol Plus, it's basically going to be his phys ed for the school year since he's on a hybrid attendance model.

We used to do crazy stuff when we were kids, sometimes we'd get lost 10 miles away from home. One time we went in this canyon in the middle of nowhere. It got dark and was pitch black. We had to crawl out of the creek and up the mountain. Didn't get home til like 11:30 pm, parents dgaf; they didn't care.

If I had a computer and all the other toys kids have now, I probably wouldn't exercise either.
Old 09-10-20, 01:00 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

6 days of training in a row with around 600 TSS total. Most I've done in a long time, and definitely some of the most I've done without feeling run over as well. If anything my legs felt like they could've set some PR's today, but I kept all of the wattages where they should be instead. I may end up with some huge numbers on Saturday if given the opportunity to open my legs up.
Old 09-10-20, 04:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Map test done again today.
215 about 2-3 weeks ago and 225 today.

Shooting for 240 on the map test by the end of the month. After I was injured in college and had to recover for a full summer, I was at about this power after a few weeks of riding. But I used to weigh 148-150 then lol. Not really that surprised.

Should go up a bit just as I learn to suffer again.
I am due to test again, but I need to psych myself up to do it. Absolutely hate it.
Old 09-10-20, 06:03 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I am due to test again, but I need to psych myself up to do it. Absolutely hate it.
I did two ramp tests on Tuesday. I stopped both at the equivalent of 260w estimated ftp. I’m just terrible at those and frankly I don’t have the will to do any type of longer tests either. There’s been just one time after a super focused vo2 block where I actually got a ramp result equivalent to where I thought I should be

I did super well in my last phase at 290 so I just bumped myself to 295. I managed to finish 5 sets of 3x2min at 115% today and it didn’t kill me so hopefully I’m good to keep going lol extra bonus that my indoor environment is about to get a lot better this weekend after the last of the summer heat/humidity breaks here
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 09-10-20, 06:06 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
No data (during ride) life is rad. Highly recommend.

Wisdom tooth pulled today. Not the worst pain ever but not pleasant. I'm already sick of potatoes and apple sauce. Hopefully can play bikes normally this weekend.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 09-10-20, 06:49 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

I did two ramp tests on Tuesday. I stopped both at the equivalent of 260w estimated ftp. I’m just terrible at those and frankly I don’t have the will to do any type of longer tests either. There’s been just one time after a super focused vo2 block where I actually got a ramp result equivalent to where I thought I should be

I did super well in my last phase at 290 so I just bumped myself to 295. I managed to finish 5 sets of 3x2min at 115% today and it didn’t kill me so hopefully I’m good to keep going lol extra bonus that my indoor environment is about to get a lot better this weekend after the last of the summer heat/humidity breaks here
I made a strava loop a couple of days ago that is around 45-50’ going full gas, about a 10’ warmup to get to the start point from my house. 3 turns that require letting off, otherwise the rest you can go all out. It’s great for learning pacing and practicing staying aero, plus it’s a great workout. I have never really understood why anyone does a ramp test on a trainer, sounds boring to me lol.
Likes For procrit:
Old 09-10-20, 06:54 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I haven't done a test all this year. I'd put money on what I can do within 5 watts.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 09-10-20, 07:19 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I iterate to determine FTP. I make a guess and adjust it up or down as the workout proceeds.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-10-20, 08:15 PM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Race canceled due to forest fire smoke. This year just keeps getting better and better.
Old 09-11-20, 07:48 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
The hills where I live make the TT bike rides difficult. I'm wanting to still go outdoors before the inevitable darkness, cold, and rain of seasons changing. Making the best of it.

But, the hills really throw of the AP versus NP. It's certainly quicker to go over on the hills a good bit. Also, Stravistix says out of 1:04 ride I spent nearly 8min not pedaling due to the hills or other things. Hard to imagine. Given the AP/NP, that really puts into perspective how different terrain can really affect a ride.

So, not just the fact that hills slow you down, and corners, etc.......but the fact that on the flat lands you're always putting out some power. 8min of zero power over an hour is a LOT of time. And I was being very aware of when I was not making power.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-11-20, 08:26 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

We are blessed and cursed with lots of flat open roads. Great for time trial efforts, bad for practicing climbing ha.
Old 09-11-20, 08:57 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Terrain versus the prescribed workout. In general, Coaches seem to be brain dead when it comes to merging where the athlete will be, the terrain and the prescribed workout. Generally, one can always do the prescribed workout on the trainer / rollers using some type of fudge factor for power and duration to equilibrate indoors V outdoors. But one is then on the trainer.

When my wife and I lived in NorCal, she could ride at lunch but the terrain was busy roads with traffic and lights / stop and she could ride up San Bruno Mountain and she could ride circuit race course but there was traffic and trucks and etc.

So the main option for sustained effort was San Bruno Mountain which was a 20 minute climb for her. So independent of what was prescribed for that day, she was climbing. And she could not necessarily just go any day as her work schedule took precedence. Attorneys can work all the time and work demands are difficult.

The bottom line was that we would have to look at the training plan for the week, work schedule and figure out terrain that would match the workouts. Sometimes it worked and other times not so well. No one has a perfect terrain situation to hit a plan perfectly.

In SoCal, we drive a lot to get specific terrain for TT workouts. Unless I am doing really short duration intervals on the TT bike, most terrain does not work and even short duration high power where I go fast does not work with a lot of cross traffic.

This is why, we ride Fiesta Island and Camp Pendleton. They offer constant power efforts at high speed that is about as safe as it gets for us and others for TT work. The velodrome MAY be good as well assuming there are not too many other racers at the track. One cannot dominate the pole lane of the track just to do TT work. However, there are work around at the track to accommodate longer sustained efforts.

When we ride Camp Pendleton to San Clemente, it is 15 minutes loading the car, 35 minutes to the start, 15 minutes unloading and getting ready and checked into the camp. 2 hours of TTT plus some stopping for bio breaks, eating turn around and etc. and then another hour to get back in the house bikes put away. There is 2 hours of non productive time. Hell, it is like playing 18 holes of golf. It takes an entire day.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-11-20, 09:49 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
The hills where I live make the TT bike rides difficult. I'm wanting to still go outdoors before the inevitable darkness, cold, and rain of seasons changing. Making the best of it.

But, the hills really throw of the AP versus NP. It's certainly quicker to go over on the hills a good bit. Also, Stravistix says out of 1:04 ride I spent nearly 8min not pedaling due to the hills or other things. Hard to imagine. Given the AP/NP, that really puts into perspective how different terrain can really affect a ride.

So, not just the fact that hills slow you down, and corners, etc.......but the fact that on the flat lands you're always putting out some power. 8min of zero power over an hour is a LOT of time. And I was being very aware of when I was not making power.
Why not head down to Jordan Lake? Roads around there tend to be much flatter.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 09-11-20, 09:50 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Had a good 3 day weekend of riding for Labor day. My vo2max work got pushed to Friday. Came in a little hot trying to hold 115%+ for 5x5. Ended up finishing 4 and a half roughly. Got a good long endurance ride in Saturday that had a bit more intensity than ideal (e.g. Torrey Pines was a ramp up from tempo pace finishing at 400w), but it was a good confirmation of the previous weeks test results. Sunday evening was 3x20 @95%, which was a good challenge given the fatigue from the previous two days but not overwhelmingly hard. Then Monday was a z2 jaunt up (and maybe a few tempo sections to shake people off my wheel...) the coast for coffee in oceanside with a good tailwind. Averaged 21 mph moving, including stop signs and all - one way trip though.

Tuesday I got back in the garage for my first weights session in a couple weeks. Then that night I had some fever, chills, and after I took a tylenol I sweat through my shirt and sheets. Also had a few days of gastro issues. No good. Not sure if it was the sudden block of intensity and weights, some random bug, or the 'rona. All I know is I have no other symptoms now.

I skipped my other rides this week due to a combination of feeling a little fatigued after the fever thing and lots going on at work (switching to management, taking on 5 reports + 1 contractor when originally I thought I'd just have 3, never lead a team or had reports before) . Planning on some z2 today and a long solo one tomorrow, will see if I'm up for the usual Sunday threshold work after that. Im avoiding people in the mean time just in case.
Likes For wktmeow:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.