Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Approximate value of a used recumbent?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 10-28-19, 11:07 AM
tronnyjenkins 

Bikes: One new one, a couple old ones, and a mountain bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts

Sorry for the appraisal ask, I just don't really know where to start on my pricing. It's a trike that was $2500 or so new, but is no longer made... none for sale that I can find. So it's worth what someone is willing to pay. Any suggestions on what price to start are appreciated!

It's just like these. Yellow. 54 speed. Disc brakes.
BIKES
Old 10-28-19, 01:52 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Try Bentrideronline. I think you are more likely to find somebody there who is either more familiar about the brand or more familiar with buying and selling tadpole trikes. Any number I could put out really wouldn't be any better than your guess. Good luck.
Old 10-28-19, 02:10 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
You can read a little here about the trike. If this is correct, the builder used the same frame as Jerome Hediger (US importer of Greenspeed trikes) did for his Trimuter trikes. He had an agreement with Greenspeed to buy the frames and build them in Illinois. That would make the Scarab similar to the Greenspeed GTO. Hediger no longer makes the Trimuter. Greenspeed stopped making the GTO model so it may be the reason the Scarab website hasn't been updated since 2011.

It's very difficult to place a value on something that is so rare so there aren't any comparables to use as a guide. The genuine Greenspeed GTO is still sought after but prices vary a lot. Only two were listed on Bentrider in 2019. One sold for $1500 and the other did not have a price listed in the ad so there is no way to know the price. One identical to the one I own sold in Phoenix about two years ago for $750. That was a steal.

Why no Scarab Trikes for sale? 10/16/2009 https://www.bentrideronline.com/mess...ad.php?t=54136

Hediger Trimuter Trikes https://www.bentrideronline.com/mess...ad.php?t=69293
Old 10-29-19, 11:01 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Based on my observations of BentRider Classifieds, FB Markeplace, and Craigs List the last 5 years or so...

If it is in very good condition, perhaps 1000-1100 USD.

Average shape, about 750-950 USD.
Old 10-30-19, 06:59 AM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
No one can tell you, each time you have to do a little research like checking for similar prices on e-bay, bentrider, rtrmag.com, recumbents.com, and of course craigslist. Probably this always takes 30-60 minutes but will give a good look at advertised prices.

For craigslist, there is a good tool for searching all of craigslist, or craigslist within a distance : searchtempest.com when you search on a keyword in there, after you set a search distance, like 500 miles,then click on open all. It seems like a lot, but if you hover your cursor on the close window x, you can quickly look at each local craigslist (maybe 20 or 30 of them) and see if anything close to what you are selling is for sale in a local craigslist.

Of course, in all searches using the word recumbent, it's kind of annoying but you have to work to eliminate the stationary bikes.

If you are not willing to do that kind of work, then used bikes in great shape are generally in the range of one-third to one-half their initial value depending on age and popularity, but really about one-third seems to be the norm to me for recumbent bikes. It's why I always advise people to buy used instead of new, especially for their first recumbent while they figure out what they like or dislike as the resale of the first recumbent does not then eat their capital.
Old 10-30-19, 07:27 AM
tronnyjenkins 

Thanks all for the replies. I'm totally fine doing the research, I just wasn't coming up with much used market sale data on this particular brand and didn't know how much that would affect demand. Luckily I'm in a big market, though of course this is the slow season. I'll ask $900 since it's got disk/but the paint is a bit faded and see if anyone even expresses interest. Thanks!
Old 10-30-19, 08:59 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
It's hard to say what the market is these days. With the exception of the last couple of days, the riding weather in Las Vegas has been fabulous. Trikes generally sell faster than two-wheeled recumbents. I was surprised to see a 1 year old Catrike 559 folding trike listed on CL for $1,200. The new price for the base model at Utah Trikes is $3,150 plus $200 shipping. It's been listed for 18 days already. It would be a heck of a deal for a local buyer.
Old 10-30-19, 10:49 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by tronnyjenkins
Thanks all for the replies. I'm totally fine doing the research, I just wasn't coming up with much used market sale data on this particular brand and didn't know how much that would affect demand. Luckily I'm in a big market, though of course this is the slow season. I'll ask $900 since it's got disk/but the paint is a bit faded and see if anyone even expresses interest. Thanks!
I think the brand doesn't help. But if you point out that it's a Greenspeed clone (a correct statement) that may help a bit.

I don't think it having disc brakes is any particular "pro" for upping its value. Most trikes have disc brakes.
Old 10-31-19, 11:14 AM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Angletech, the local dealer for recumbents new and used in my area has one for sale for $800, FYI. Click on Experienced Bikes link. Angletech-Cycle Different

Last edited by bjjoondo; 10-31-19 at 11:15 AM. Reason: adding wording
Old 11-01-19, 02:35 PM
tronnyjenkins 

Originally Posted by bjjoondo
Angletech, the local dealer for recumbents new and used in my area has one for sale for $800, FYI. Click on Experienced Bikes link. Angletech-Cycle Different
Thanks!
Likes For tronnyjenkins:
Old 11-02-19, 03:40 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Just my non-expert opinion, but I think you should be able to get $700-800 for any trike with a good frame, good rubber, and 'new enough' drive train. Seven and eight speed cassettes are probably a liability, as are worn parts (especially chain.) Most trikes have disc brakes.

OTOH, if you've got something with an out-of-spec chain and worn cassette and chainrings, you could easily end up spending half its value just to fix it so it'll sell.
Old 09-19-20, 12:46 PM
tronnyjenkins 

If someone is lurking way later on this, I ended up getting $800 for the bike. A former state representative randomly called me an drove around 5 hours to come get it! Pretty unusual sale for me. Ha. That being said, I guess these types of bikes don't often come up for sale and when someone wants one, they really want it. I had two other guys who said they wanted it and would have had to travel as well.
Old 09-23-20, 12:07 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

You've still left us not knowing much more than when you asked your original question. Very few specifics (Color? C'Mon...) This was probably no more than a half-hearted exercise meant to 'stump the experts' and not provide any info to the community, Glad you sold ... whatever it was...
Old 09-23-20, 08:04 PM
tronnyjenkins 

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
You've still left us not knowing much more than when you asked your original question. Very few specifics (Color? C'Mon...) This was probably no more than a half-hearted exercise meant to 'stump the experts' and not provide any info to the community, Glad you sold ... whatever it was...
oops- didn’t realize I never posted that info. It was a yellow Scarab branded trike, much like the one on this page. I need to see if I saved any pictures because it had a really unusual FSA crankset. My iPhone was full and it may have been a victim.
Old 09-29-20, 01:37 PM
BlazingPedals

A scarab is old, old. So even with that knowledge, you were asking the value of an antique. Getting $800 sounds like it was a good transaction for you.
Old 10-07-20, 08:08 AM
tronnyjenkins 

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
A scarab is old, old. So even with that knowledge, you were asking the value of an antique. Getting $800 sounds like it was a good transaction for you.
I can’t figure out why the guy wanted it so bad, honestly. He drove hours to come get it. I hope he enjoys it though. I’m not a recumbent guy, but it was fun to cruise around the neighborhood on. My kids liked sitting in my lap haha.