Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

2 Free project bikes found down the road less traveled

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-20, 08:38 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts

So kinda scary situation on my way home from work yesterday afternoon..going down the back county road here in Northwest Indiana and the wind is wicked blowing around all day. As I’m driving down the road this tree in the photo literally got blown over by the wind and crashed down across the road right in front of my Jeep. Had to slam on my brakes and just a few more seconds this tree would have fallen right onto my car.

so I had to turn around and go down another back road that I don’t use very often and as I was driving down the other road these two filthy dirty bikes were at the end of someone’s driveway along with their trash. A quick look told me to just grab them as I could use them for more practice.

They are matching men’s/ladies 1986/1987? Schwinn Mesa Runners. The men’s frame has the G1086 stamped so I know it was made by Giant in October 1986 so most likely for their 1987 models but the women’s frame doesn’t have the info stamped on the rear drop outs like the men’s frame but I’ll take a closer look this weekend.

brought them home and took a bucket of hot soapy water and the garden hose to them. The men’s frame is in really good shape and very little to no rust anywhere but the ladies frame has some rust spots.

A quick observation is they both need new tires/tubes, wheels are not bent, spokes are rusted, both need new chains, cables/housing.

I’ll toss them in the basement and work on cleaning them up over the winter and sell them in the Spring.

I won’t make anything on them but am doing this for more practice on teaching myself.

Ive decided that once I do sell them I’ll just donate the money to a German Shepherd Rescue in Indianapolis.

Before I washed it off

Before I washed it off

After

After

Before clean up

After clean up

Men’s frame made in October 1986

Interesting pulley V brakes? This is the women’s frame
Likes For tpadul:
Old 10-15-20, 08:43 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
NW IN, huh

I am familiar with the area. Near Rennsel-tucky?
Old 10-15-20, 08:49 AM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I am familiar with the area. Near Rennsel-tucky?
I'm in Chesterton, IN just a few minutes away from Lake Michigan and less than 30 minutes from downtown Chicago. The GSD rescue I will be donating to is down in Indianapolis.

We have two German Shepherds and we are dog people so I've decided that while I'm teaching myself how to take apart and fix up and repair bikes anything I make on selling them will be all donated to the GSD rescue in INDY as we love what the woman that runs the rescue does for the rescue dogs. I have the money to spend on the consumables to make the bikes in working condition and I'm really trying to teach myself how to do the restoration,
Likes For tpadul:
Old 10-15-20, 08:03 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Now there's an idea: your favorite C&V bike with your GSD.

Much better than that cat thing.....
Old 10-15-20, 08:53 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by tpadul

Interesting pulley V brakes? This is the women’s frame
Not V brakes but Cantilever. Nice rescue.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 10-16-20, 06:25 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Good for you, I hope you take a few pics of the process. Nice score, two decent bikes there, paint looks presentable, in the photos at least. Get some Evaporust or Barkeeper's Friend and go to town.
Likes For PugRider:
Old 10-16-20, 07:26 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Glad you didn’t have a worse scenario with that tree. Have fun cleaning up the free bikes. It’s fun and relaxing. If that men’s bike isn’t too big, thrash it on the trails. I have 2 80’s mtb’s that get good ride time.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 10-16-20, 07:49 AM
peppiace

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Neat story. Thanks for sharing. Keep supporting the rescue. Dogs are better than bikes but having both makes life worth living. I would be doing the same thing you are doing. I found an old next bike in the trash and used it to practice since the price was right and my daughter is enjoying it.
Likes For peppiace:
Old 10-16-20, 12:52 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Divine intervention !!!!

You were meant to rescue those bikes !!!!

The before and after pics are great. I had no idea that they were blue color !!!!!!!

It does not get much better than getting FREE bikes to work on

Get experience doing so........... .and donating the money to a very worth while cause !!!!

Congrats
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 10-16-20, 01:46 PM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by bikemike73
Divine intervention !!!!

You were meant to rescue those bikes !!!!

The before and after pics are great. I had no idea that they were blue color !!!!!!!

It does not get much better than getting FREE bikes to work on

Get experience doing so........... .and donating the money to a very worth while cause !!!!

Congrats
Thanks!! That is exactly what I told my wife!! It was divine intervention!! I told her my Guardian Angel wanted me to find those bikes to save them , I actually saw the county crew this afternoon picking up the pieces of the tree they had cut and tossed to the side of the road from the day before and I stopped and chatted with them and told them that tree literally missed my Jeep by a few seconds, the one guy told me sadly his nephew is now paralyzed from the waist down when a tree fell on his truck as he was driving down one of the back county roads a little while back, So yeah, very scary but there was a purpose for everything... I had to rescue those bikes!! I love fact they were free, I know I'll sink a couple hundred into them combined and I know I could just give that right to the GSD rescue but I'm in the process now of teaching myself bicycle maintenance and repair so I need cheap or free bikes as projects and this could not have worked out better for me.
Old 10-16-20, 02:06 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Wow, I thought the bikes were gray until I scrolled down enough to see the later photos.

Excellent find, and yes, it goes beyond the economics. You kept two bikes out of a landfill, and they may well provide affordable transportation to two people who need it. Win, win, win situation.

Rear brake pulley like that is not uncommon on step-through MTBs and hybrids. Just another lubrication point, but they're pretty reliable; my wife has one on her daily driver / grocery getter.

Look for a 4-digit number on the head badge of each bike. First three digits are the ordinal/julian day within the year (1-366) and the last digit is the year within the decade,
Likes For madpogue:
Old 10-17-20, 05:11 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Nice find!
Likes For viperocco:
Old 10-17-20, 07:28 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Yeah, initially looking at the pics, I thought it was 4 bikes, great find, have fun!
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 10-17-20, 07:54 AM
dbalu 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Nice find! The bikes look great after the cleanup!
Likes For dbalu:
Old 10-17-20, 08:32 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Somewhat on topic. A number of years ago my sister was driving down the outer belt when a chunk of the bridge above landed on her drivers side fron fender.

Old 10-18-20, 06:15 AM
tpadul 

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Somewhat on topic. A number of years ago my sister was driving down the outer belt when a chunk of the bridge above landed on her drivers side fron fender.
whoa!!!! That is scary!!! A few more seconds and that could have gone through her windshield!!!