Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-20, 12:04 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
That's how I told the seller to measure it.

That's a smooth tune you posted. When your band is/was playing and you transition between different styles of music is it easy to do? You just go from something hard to something 'hotel/motel time" like that no sweat? Or is your set list more like a roller coaster with peaks and valleys? Do you have to read the crowd and be able to switch gears at any moment? Just curious.
For sure all the above when you're playing small clubs and bars. It's only at Festivals and bigger venues where we would push our own songs the most. But because of our "Floor It" style of playing we would generally play 4 faster pace songs such as SRVs Pride And Joy, Jimi Hendrix Fire, Freddie King Hideaway, those type then 1 slower one like Jimi Hendrix Hey Joe, BB King The Thrill Is Gone, Otis Redding These Arms Of Mine, then 4 fast then 1 slower etc.
Since we now play very sparingly and sold out all our CDs we play mostly covers and I've forgotten more songs than I remember. In fact we played this past Saturday night at a bar and grill in Hearne Tx. And my son would call out songs I don't remember, but luckily somehow it would come back to me.
I'm way more a music lover than a musician and most times that was helpful when I was calling the songs.

Last edited by texaspandj; 10-27-20 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-27-20, 12:35 PM
texaspandj

Here's an example of a slow cover song and playing to the crowd. This is a bar & grill on the the stran in Galveston Tx after the grill is closed. It's a poor sound quality from someone's phone I think.
Old 10-27-20, 02:14 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Here's an example of a slow cover song and playing to the crowd. This is a bar & grill on the the stran in Galveston Tx after the grill is closed. It's a poor sound quality from someone's phone I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YCTsj8ijp8
That's a good cover. Sounds like you'd be a natural for covering Sublime. Although, that'd be for the older crowd now. I never thought I'd say that. No telling what you could do with Caress Me Down late in the evening after the beer's been flowing.

Or maybe You Better Listen featuring Rome. That'd be smoking!

Last edited by seypat; 10-27-20 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-27-20, 06:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
...When your band is/was playing and you transition between different styles of music is it easy to do? You just go from something hard to something 'hotel/motel time" like that no sweat? Or is your set list more like a roller coaster with peaks and valleys? Do you have to read the crowd and be able to switch gears at any moment? Just curious.
Have you seen any of Tony's band videos on YouTube? Check out their Live at Antone's video, and others. Besides playing bass, he has a slick emcee patter too. They do a medley of every major regional blues style that's hella fun.

I'm hoping to see them play some day. I've seen a lot of great blues, rock and R&B club bands in Texas (especially with Buddy Whittington on guitar) and the videos for the TP&J band are as good as any band I've seen. And they look like they're having fun.

I tried for years to play decent blues guitar and watching them just reminded me why I finally quit 20 years ago. I'm a better listener than musician. I played a few jam nights in Fort Worth and Chicago and never could get past the stage fright lockup. A friend said I played okay but I was so petrified I can't remember a thing except getting a fingernail caught under a string and whanging a really sour note. Put me in a boxing ring or on a bike and I have no fear. But give me a guitar and a stage and I'll blank out. I used to have a fantasy of playing solo acoustic guitar and making witty banter like Leo Kottke, but in reality onstage I can't even remember my own name.

Old 10-27-20, 06:39 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by canklecat
Have you seen any of Tony's band videos on YouTube? Check out their Live at Antone's video, and others. Besides playing bass, he has a slick emcee patter too. They do a medley of every major regional blues style that's hella fun.

I'm hoping to see them play some day. I've seen a lot of great blues, rock and R&B club bands in Texas (especially with Buddy Whittington on guitar) and the videos for the TP&J band are as good as any band I've seen. And they look like they're having fun.

I tried for years to play decent blues guitar and watching them just reminded me why I finally quit 20 years ago. I'm a better listener than musician. I played a few jam nights in Fort Worth and Chicago and never could get past the stage fright lockup. A friend said I played okay but I was so petrified I can't remember a thing except getting a fingernail caught under a string and whanging a really sour note. Put me in a boxing ring or on a bike and I have no fear. But give me a guitar and a stage and I'll blank out. I used to have a fantasy of playing solo acoustic guitar and making witty banter like Leo Kottke, but in reality onstage I can't even remember my own name.

https://youtu.be/STPF5pCvpFE
Virginia has a network of listener supported independent stations that can give his band exposure. If they can get some play here, they'll be heard throughout Virginia.

https://www.wnrn.org/fresh-roots-new-blues/
Old 10-27-20, 06:50 PM
seypat

Whoa Nelly! One of them there Chee Nelly Equipes popped up on the Looking for thread.

54cm. Better not let RT see it.

On a side note, did these come in any other colors? I hope so.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bi...221089950.html
Old 10-27-20, 07:17 PM
texaspandj

That's a good cover. Sounds like you'd be a natural for covering Sublime. Although, that'd be for the older crowd now. I never thought I'd say that. No telling what you could do with Caress Me Down late in the evening after the beer's been flowing.

Or maybe You Better Listen featuring Rome. That'd be smoking!
Admittedly I don't know any of those bands or songs. My boys might though maybe.
Generally I just know what comes on the radio. And the stations I listen to are generally local. I'm a homebody...I guess.
When I was 14 my brother left me his stereo and album collection and my whole life changed. So although I don't know those particular bands I do Know and had several albums each by ; Ohio players, Earth wind and fire, brothers johnson, confunkshun, Brick, Comondores etc. Also, later the entire record collections of John Mellencamp, Billy Joel, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Albert King, Jimi Hendrix. Plus some all time favorite albums like Donny Hathaway Live, Tunnel of love by Bruce Springsteen, Brown Sugar by D'angelo, Musicology by Prince.
Driving home from Gigs at 3oclock in the morning and a 3 hour drive ahead of us. They would pop in 1 of one of my favorite CDs and then they'd go to sleep knowing I would stay awake singing every syllable. Then I would put in another til we got home.
I was telling my wife when we driving home from our gig Saturday how I remember driving as the sun was coming up.

One of my favorite Ironman that I own. Just trying to steer us back. 😁
Old 10-27-20, 07:22 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Whoa Nelly! One of them there Chee Nelly Equipes popped up on the Looking for thread.
54cm. Better not let RT see it.
On a side note, did these come in any other colors? I hope so.
https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bi...221089950.html
Already have one. 2x7 Chorus, just like my SC.
At $375, that would be a decent buy.
That seat post should be 26.8-27.0 (Columbus SL.....I’ve seen both fit.)
Those are cool calipers (Universal AERs)

Pick it up, scrub it up.
Decal it and build it up.

No other colors.
Cino mandated silver.
(original color of the Speciale Corsa)

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-27-20 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-27-20, 08:10 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Admittedly I don't know any of those bands or songs. My boys might though maybe.
Generally I just know what comes on the radio. And the stations I listen to are generally local. I'm a homebody...I guess.
When I was 14 my brother left me his stereo and album collection and my whole life changed. So although I don't know those particular bands I do Know and had several albums each by ; Ohio players, Earth wind and fire, brothers johnson, confunkshun, Brick, Comondores etc. Also, later the entire record collections of John Mellencamp, Billy Joel, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Albert King, Jimi Hendrix. Plus some all time favorite albums like Donny Hathaway Live, Tunnel of love by Bruce Springsteen, Brown Sugar by D'angelo, Musicology by Prince.
Driving home from Gigs at 3oclock in the morning and a 3 hour drive ahead of us. They would pop in 1 of one of my favorite CDs and then they'd go to sleep knowing I would stay awake singing every syllable. Then I would put in another til we got home.
I was telling my wife when we driving home from our gig Saturday how I remember driving as the sun was coming up.

One of my favorite Ironman that I own. Just trying to steer us back. 😁
How many speeds and which brifters/derailleurs? I'm thinking about possible HNH setups.
Old 10-27-20, 08:41 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Already have one. 2x7 Chorus, just like my SC.
At $375, that would be a decent buy.
That seat post should be 26.8-27.0 (Columbus SL.....I’ve seen both fit.)
Those are cool calipers (Universal AERs)

Pick it up, scrub it up.
Decal it and build it up.

No other colors.
Cino mandated silver.
(original color of the Speciale Corsa)
No other colors.

So, I'm thinking about a possible HNH setup. I'd be putting brifters on it. The bro's new MTB has a Microshift RD. Have you ever tried any of their shifters? The setup would be a 2x7 with something like a 12/28 and a 52/39 up front. Shimano has the Tourneys and what ever older 2x7 brifters I could scrounge up. That would be the cheapest way to go. I don't want to give him too nice of a setup. He might not take good care of it.

Since I'm in sort of a musical mood and you lived in a college town in NC, do you recall ever seeing a band called the Boneshakers? They used to swing up and down the East Coast during the 90s. They had a big following in Richmond. I've seen them in both Carolinas as well as places in Va.

Last edited by seypat; 10-27-20 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-27-20, 09:44 PM
texaspandj

How many speeds and which brifters/derailleurs? I'm thinking about possible HNH setups.
It's Dura Ace 7700 9 speed Brifters, Brakeset, Crankest (53,39), BB, and Chain.
I have 4 54cm Ironman set up as triathlon/timetrial bikes and this 1 52cm set up as a road bike.
Weirdly, the 54s have Shimano aero seatpost that are maxed out. But they were too short for the 52 so I had to use the oem seatpost from my '86 Ironman to get the proper height for me.
Old 10-28-20, 08:19 AM
seypat

So the seller got back to me with the size using the method texaspandj outlined above. No other pics yet. Drum roll please:

And the winner is....................22 inches. Texaspandj nails it! "Tell him what he's won, Bob."

Dang, I already have a red/white 56. Still, the family is going to the Inlaws this weekend. That could be a decent day trip. It's a nice drive with the leaves turning. It's also apple orchard county. I might go look at it this weekend anyway.
This one was sold this morning. No road trip for me now.
Old 10-28-20, 08:58 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
This one was sold this morning. No road trip for me now.
Seller needs to take the ad down.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 10-29-20, 09:03 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/d...203821884.html
Old 10-30-20, 03:28 AM
texaspandj

https://easttexas.craigslist.org/bik...216972410.html
Old 10-30-20, 03:36 AM
texaspandj

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bi...210586614.html
Likes For texaspandj:
Old 10-30-20, 06:24 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Winter training setup- TACX Neo 2T, 32" Samsung, iPhone, couple high CFM fans, Ironman:

Old 10-30-20, 11:07 AM
texaspandj

Originally Posted by rccardr
Winter training setup- TACX Neo 2T, 32" Samsung, iPhone, couple high CFM fans, Ironman:

Nice setup.
Normally my off season is Nov and Dec. However I'm gonna start training next week, I've been off since August 29 .
I'll be running Mon and Wed, Just not sure if I'll be riding on indoor trainer Tue and Thur or running on treadmill those days too.
Old 10-30-20, 11:23 AM
rccardr 

Been doing spin class for years and years, starting right about now and ending in March, all dependent on the weather. Some years get more outside riding than others.
Decided to up my training game this year with some top flight equipment that will give me precise wattage, calorie burn, cadence and speed information.
Rode a couple of French Alps this morning with a rider from Jumbo Visma!
Old 10-30-20, 11:44 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by rccardr

May I inquire as to the stand for that monitor?
Better yet, can you list the hardware and software and your routine?
What do you like/not like? Would you change anything?

We ride together when I don’t wimp out.

Wish we’d gone up one level, but buying for two...

Not enough air. We’re moving these to the rear wheels (they get hot).

One screen apiece and one for fake news.

Behind the door, for outdoors.

Two of everything:
Wahoo Kickers.
Front wheel blocks.
Kicker mats on top of Harbor Freight mat.
Garmin cadence sensors, HR monitors.
Lenovo laptops.
Upright Ant+ dongles in USB extensions.
HDMI cables.
Onn 32” TVs.
Visio TV.
Bar stools.
Lamps.
Rack that holds the monitors.

She:
iPad on Zoom
iPhone on Zwift Companion
towel
headband
gloves

Me:
Garmin speed sensor
Sweat protector on bike
towel

Other:
We use Zwift. She also uses Zoom with coaching via Training Peaks.
Coaching is $10/session and she uses Their workouts. I do not.
I’d like to use my rollers instead...no terrain changes, but you can’t coast.
We’d like to streamline, drop the laptops, get better stands.
I considered music stands, and I’m moving to my Klein and just leaving it there.

Unless I buy a collector bike for $13000 and have to sell the rest.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eddy-Merckx...8/283838232965

Anyone else?

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-30-20 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-30-20, 07:58 PM
rccardr 

Monitor stand is a generic Chinese one from Amazon, cost under $100 and is SUPER well made. Easy to build, very adjustable.
Did a BUNCH of research back in the summer as I was concerned that by the time this would be put together (now) some of it would be hard to source.
Best direct drive trainer, according to all the reviews, was the TACX Neo 2T: super quiet, lets you rock the bike when standing, ANT and bluetooth, etc. Expensive, but hey, this is my health and am not paying for gym any more, so...anyway, best price and delivery was from REI.
Mat is a Saris, same as what my daughter and SiL use with their Peloton. We’re all heavy sweaters, and I need to protect the wood floor in the bike room.
Monitor is a Samsung 32” smart tv from Amazon. Super simple to set up, locks into our WiFi so I can watch movies, bike racing, etc. if the app content gets boring.
Right now am driving everything through my old iPhone. Works great, phone is right in front of the bars on the little steel shelf.
Am starting with the TACX Training App (premium level) but will also try Zwift and the Peloton digital app, which includes core workouts.
This will be used ONLY for fun workouts, so one monitor is plenty. And everything is done solo, although we might want to hook up for some group virtual rides.
At this point, would not change anything. As time and the winter proceeds, that may change.

RT, you need bigger fans!
Old 10-31-20, 01:25 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
FREE Ironman NJ

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/b...223369801.html
Rough shape but price is right.
*NM-gone in less than 1 hour*

Last edited by dmark; 10-31-20 at 01:28 PM. Reason: gone
Old 10-31-20, 05:28 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
May I inquire as to the stand for that monitor?
Better yet, can you list the hardware and software and your routine?
What do you like/not like? Would you change anything?

We ride together when I don’t wimp out.

Wish we’d gone up one level, but buying for two...

Not enough air. We’re moving these to the rear wheels (they get hot).

One screen apiece and one for fake news.

Behind the door, for outdoors.

Two of everything:
Wahoo Kickers.
Front wheel blocks.
Kicker mats on top of Harbor Freight mat.
Garmin cadence sensors, HR monitors.
Lenovo laptops.
Upright Ant+ dongles in USB extensions.
HDMI cables.
Onn 32” TVs.
Visio TV.
Bar stools.
Lamps.
Rack that holds the monitors.

She:
iPad on Zoom
iPhone on Zwift Companion
towel
headband
gloves

Me:
Garmin speed sensor
Sweat protector on bike
towel

Other:
We use Zwift. She also uses Zoom with coaching via Training Peaks.
Coaching is $10/session and she uses Their workouts. I do not.
I’d like to use my rollers instead...no terrain changes, but you can’t coast.
We’d like to streamline, drop the laptops, get better stands.
I considered music stands, and I’m moving to my Klein and just leaving it there.

Unless I buy a collector bike for $13000 and have to sell the rest.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eddy-Merckx...8/283838232965

Anyone else?
I am a member of this chain. In fact, one of their charter members at the first location a long, long time ago. Pre Covid. I spent a lot of time there. They have it all, and I did it all. The cycling for power classes were good. I will start going back after the marathon on 11/7. Their hours pre Covid were 24/7 365 except closure on Friday nights at 10 and Saturday nights at 8. It's cheap entertainment if you use it.

https://amfamfit.com/midlothian/

Last edited by seypat; 10-31-20 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-01-20, 11:27 AM
texaspandj

Irongang, I've got a tricolor 7 speed group that I took off my '88 Carbon Ironman that I want to put on my'85 Ironman. Unfortunately I don't have matching wheels for it (but they look alike from afar). Anyways, my plan is to put etap on it ... eventually. In the meantime I'll run the tricolor 7 speed group. But I want to get some wheels however the ones that I found are for 11 speed. Now in the past I've put 7 speed cassettes on 10 speed wheels using a spacer no problem. And I Think I can use two 3mm spacers for 7 speed going to 11 speed wheels.
So which wheels are better Mavic elite 11 speed wheelset or Shimano RS-11 wheels?
Old 11-01-20, 06:17 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Is this a good deal?

Can I swap on a pair of 26” wheels so my kid can ride it? Oh...and drop bars. Sacrilege.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.