Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXX

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXX

Old 11-13-20, 11:16 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I have virtually stopped riding. I have infinitesimally little stress. I do still have near daily rain. And a wood working project which is taking far longer than expected. I just can't rationalize blowing several hours of the day on a bike. A year ago that would have been an unthinkable statement.
Up until a year ago, I was on Prozac for anger management. Then I took up meditation. Lost my anger reaction and, apparently, my need to ride. And many other things, including 14 pounds of fat. I am steadily giving away my extra bikes. The second will go out next week, or as soon as I get it built up. Two more to go.

Old 11-13-20, 11:20 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12735 Post(s)
Liked 7,634 Times in 4,050 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Vintage bikes can be such an expensive PITA sometimes

I want to put dual-pivot sidepulls on the SLT, but it takes the old nutted style attachment, not the modern recessed style.

Usually I have no problem with drilling out the back of the fork crown to accept the recessed mounting bolt, but this thing is fully chromed and I didn't like my chances of (1) being able to drill it at all or (2) not really screwing something up.

In a few days long search for mid-reach, nutted, dual-pivot sidepulls I came up mostly empty handed.

Browsing the Tektro website, they sell recessed -> nutted conversion kits for their brakes but they want $20 for two bolts, nuts, and washers, plus another $10 to ship it to me. Thankfully a set of 539 brakes is only around $50, but I'll end up having to disassemble at least one of them and swap mounting bolts.

I suppose it will be worth it to have brakes that are more than just a suggestion, but still....what a PITA.
In my experience, enlarging an existing hole in chrome is no problem. Might chip a little but the nut should cover that up, just dab a little primer on the bare spots.

Now starting a hole in chrome, that's a whole other ball of wax.
Old 11-13-20, 11:23 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10142 Post(s)
Liked 5,831 Times in 3,139 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
Therapist? MD?

Company I used to work for managed BH benefits for the Maryland Medicaid pop
Clinical psychologist, former cognitive scientist, recently retired. Did mainly assessments of the children of the rich and powerful. Cash on the barrelhead.
Old 11-13-20, 11:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Seeing as there were some nice sheets of ice on the back roads, I decided to ride to the bread shop with the new tires. As someone who has busted their ass on the ice on a few occasions, I was understandably anxious. I kept the carbide-studded rubber side down, though, and even managed to get up some inclines on some super slickery ice.

I am so not looking forward to those conditions. Philly was bad enough with plowing and treating local streets before COVID.
Old 11-13-20, 11:24 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Do they normally salt or at least sand that flavor of hell?
Both sand and salt. This isn't unusual for a residential road, but busier through-streets typically don't get this bad. The DOT has been making a ****show of it the last few years, though. We all know, days in advance, that a significant snowfall is coming, but they still don't get the plows out early enough and it accumulates and get packed in to ice.

Originally Posted by big john
Do you use studded tires on your car? I did when I lived in the mountains. There was a 16% grade going up to the house. Exciting to descend when going to work in the morning while half-awake.
No, just dedicated winter tires - we don't have those kinds of inclines. Some people will carry chains to throw on their tires, but that's about as extreme as I've seen.
Old 11-13-20, 11:27 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Seeing as there were some nice sheets of ice on the back roads, I decided to ride to the bread shop with the new tires. As someone who has busted their ass on the ice on a few occasions, I was understandably anxious. I kept the carbide-studded rubber side down, though, and even managed to get up some inclines on some super slickery ice.

Yeah, nope.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 11-13-20, 11:28 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I am so not looking forward to those conditions. Philly was bad enough with plowing and treating local streets before COVID.
I imagine that it wouldn't be too different from NYC. Big snowfalls there sucked - no place for the snow to go, so parked cars just got buried for weeks at a time.
Old 11-13-20, 11:31 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,592 Times in 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
In my experience, enlarging an existing hole in chrome is no problem. Might chip a little but the nut should cover that up, just dab a little primer on the bare spots.

Now starting a hole in chrome, that's a whole other ball of wax.
What kind of bit have you used for that?

I've been leery of asking about it on the forums, and I'm not totally convinced that I actually want to drill it.
Old 11-13-20, 11:34 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Yeah, nope.
And yet, just a few sub-forums away, there are groups of people suffering from a different kind of bike nuttiness and they'd laugh at our aversions. Weirdos.

Though I now have a greater appreciation of the appeal of a fat bike in these kinds of conditions.
Old 11-13-20, 11:43 AM
WhyFi

Woo hoo! It's not quite as fun as bike crap deliveries, but getting coffee crap isn't too far behind -

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-13-20, 11:46 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11385 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,745 Posts

Woo hoo! It's not quite as fun as bike crap deliveries, but getting coffee crap isn't too far behind -

Burrrrrrr............
Old 11-13-20, 11:51 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LAJ
Burrrrrrr............
I need to dig up Bah Humbug's "I see what you did there" pelican.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 11-13-20, 11:59 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by Mojo31
We are exactly the opposite - joint everything and no separate accounts (except retirement accounts which cannot be joint). It's worked for us. We have certainly had some tough times that caused us financial angst over spending, but that was long ago. These days there is plenty to go around, and soon will be more as our youngest graduates from college in May.

My LSS recently went back to work after 25 years off raising kids. If she had to contribute financially to anything during those years, she would have been on the street. Even now it would not do us much good to try to have separate accounts. She works for a non-profit foundation and makes a fraction of what I make. So, I just continue to give her my check, she gives me my allowance, and I smile while I say "thank you."

And, since we live in a community property state, what's hers is hers, what's ours is hers, and what's mine is hers.

Humbug is just fooling himself if he thinks he has a separate account.
We have the same asymmetry. I came from family money and always made more.

We have always had a hybrid system with various shared and separate accounts, but she is the CFO and sees all and I clear all significant purchases with her. At one point years ago, we were going through a rough patch and I transferred a big chunk of holdings to her as a sign of good faith. That did wonders for domestic tranquility. Now we're too old to fight about anything.
Old 11-13-20, 12:01 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I need to dig up Bah Humbug's "I see what you did there" pelican.

HTH
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 11-13-20, 12:02 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Humbug is just fooling himself if he thinks he has a separate account.
You say that, but if anything she gets annoyed when I ask about purchases because of prior history with previous women and society at large and wishes I would just get on with buying what I want.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 11-13-20, 12:06 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts

No, just dedicated winter tires - we don't have those kinds of inclines. Some people will carry chains to throw on their tires, but that's about as extreme as I've seen.
I had a 2 wheel drive pick up when we moved up there. It slid all over the road, even with chains on. I really liked that truck but I traded it in for a Subaru that I put studded tires on. A great car for driving on ice. Of course, that became the wife's car.
Old 11-13-20, 12:12 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Clinical psychologist, former cognitive scientist, recently retired. Did mainly assessments of the children of the rich and powerful.
IOW spoiled, sometimes neglected, usually entitled brats.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 11-13-20, 12:15 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Both sand and salt. This isn't unusual for a residential road, but busier through-streets typically don't get this bad. The DOT has been making a ****show of it the last few years, though. We all know, days in advance, that a significant snowfall is coming, but they still don't get the plows out early enough and it accumulates and get packed in to ice.
I wouldn't even venture out in my car in that nonsense, I'm not a big fan of funding the auto bodyshop industry.
Old 11-13-20, 12:30 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I wouldn't even venture out in my car in that nonsense, I'm not a big fan of funding the auto bodyshop industry.
Bah. With Blizzaks or Hakkas (and the heater on full blast) it’s downright fun.
Old 11-13-20, 12:38 PM
MoAlpha
• —

IOW spoiled, sometimes neglected, usually entitled brats.
Not at all. She found almost all of them fascinating and often outright fell in love with them over the several days she worked with them. Kids from this set tend to be exceedingly well brought-up, verbal, and confident, and know how to make adults like them.

The parents sometimes acted entitled, but most parents who neglect their kids aren't going to put that kind of money into them. More typically, they were hyper-invested in their kids' success and ready to do anything to help them.
Old 11-13-20, 01:36 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10233 Post(s)
Liked 5,171 Times in 2,220 Posts
Joint account here, but since my job keeps me away, the wife runs the show. I get a work allowance, what ever I don’t spend there I can buy bike stuff with. If she needs something, I have never told her no, and she’s the same with me. Asking for bike stuff multiple weeks in a row does get me a stern look though.
Old 11-13-20, 01:48 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11385 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,745 Posts
I get 4 dollars a day. That buys me enough gas to get me to work and back, and enough left over to get a snack. If I don't buy a snack every day, I end the week with some real walkin' around money.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 11-13-20, 01:59 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1411 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 387 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
So remember a couple weeks ago when I posted that one German metal folk band? Letting my freak flag fly that's where I tend to go (German rock).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-PZMqSdpdo

That second one is particularly timely, being about rumors spreading easily and creating a druglike urge for more.
bagpipes in a metal band. sehr gut.
Likes For gnome:
Old 11-13-20, 02:08 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8252 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
My money is all mine after the bills are paid.There just isn't much of it. She contributes half the rent but other than that our finances are totally separate. She encourages me to buy bike stuff, I'm the one who frets over it since I retired.
I guess I have to go get a freehub body since nobody wants to put bearings in the old one for me. All of my bikes need freshening up and all of my jerseys are faded and/or threadbare. Mountain bike shoes are starting to come apart.
Think I'll go for a nice ride tomorrow, just have to decide which one.
Old 11-13-20, 02:37 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Bah. With Blizzaks or Hakkas (and the heater on full blast) it’s downright fun.
Wut? Packed ice like that? Nah, you need chains to drive on that action. And hope the few other motorists out there have chains on too, which is never the case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.