Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Acceptable roundness tolerance on factory Bontrager rims?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-20, 07:39 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

What do you consider to be an acceptable variation for roundness with a mass-produced Bontrager AT-750 that comes on a Trek Verve2?
Old 11-15-20, 07:57 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Pretty big. Maybe 1.5mm radial. I've seen 2-3mm lateral. They (whomever 'they' are) don't pay too much attention to those wheels.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-15-20, 08:14 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
If you can feel it in the ride (the radial hop), then it's probably too much. Otherwise, low-buck factory wheels like those are often not super round. I've had a set of AT-750s before on a 2015 Verve and the rear one had a bit of a hop to it...but I couldn't feel it riding, so I didn't worry about it.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 11-15-20, 11:58 PM
MyRedTrek

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
If you can feel it in the ride (the radial hop), then it's probably too much. Otherwise, low-buck factory wheels like those are often not super round. I've had a set of AT-750s before on a 2015 Verve and the rear one had a bit of a hop to it...but I couldn't feel it riding, so I didn't worry about it.
So trying to make the runout on these rims essentially invisible the way I see on high end road bikes on Youtube would be an exercise in futility?
Old 11-16-20, 12:18 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
It is important to differentiate between rims and wheels. They are not the same thing. Rims can be somewhat out of round and still be built into wheels that are very close to almost perfectly round. A built wheel is different, its roundness depends on how skillfully it was built
Old 11-16-20, 12:35 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Radial runout is more or less irrelevant so long as it's not felt while riding (so basically, never) except insofar as it infers equal spoke tension. On a lot of rims in particular, it is normal for the tolerance to be off at the seam I'd probably aim for within 2mm on that rim, but really I'd work the radial precision until it felt like I started needing to compromise on even tension.
Old 11-16-20, 06:31 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
So trying to make the runout on these rims essentially invisible the way I see on high end road bikes on Youtube would be an exercise in futility?
It's probably an exercise in futility, yes. It really depends (at least in my experience) how the runout is distributed around the rim. If it's in a very small area of the rim, a quick "up and down" as you watch the rim spin, it's not likely that you can adjust the hop out with spoke tension work. It's possible, but unlikely. If the runout is spread over a larger area, a more subtle "rise and fall" as it spins, then that probably could be pulled in some with careful spoke work.

It may help to attach a fixed reference point close to the rim surface; if the bike has rim brakes, a brake shoe is good enough...if it has disk brakes, you can tie a small zip tie to the seat stay and have the tail pointing at the rim surface. Slowly spin the wheel and watch the rim surface in relation to your fixed reference point. With radial runout like you have, the radius of the rim will change as it spins. Mark with some painter's tape where the radial runout seems to start and then mark with another piece of tape where it seems to end (where the rim settles back to its average radius). If that's a fairly broad area (like a quarter or half of the rim circumference), then the runout may be fixable, or at least could be reduced.
Old 11-16-20, 08:29 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
As round as you can get the wheel you still have a tire to contend with and that is as likely to be out of round same as the wheel. Luckily air pressure evens a lot of it out. As others have said, if you can't feel it don't worry about it.

I just rebuilt a wheel and after applying even tension using a meter I found it a tiny bit out of round but not so much that the rim brake ever felt it. I just left it at that since it was laterally true and very even high tension.

Last edited by zacster; 11-16-20 at 08:32 AM.