Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Review - Shimano Biopace Crankset

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Review - Shimano Biopace Crankset

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-20, 07:40 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
The 52/42 sets were common as dirt on late 1980s road bikes with Shimano groups -- usually 105 and 600 -- from several makers. Many folks took 'em off and stuck 'em in a closet, sold, gave away or threw them away. The 52/42 road group seemed to be more common than the triples equipped on some mountain bikes.

I got a set from a friend after mentioning I was curious to try Biopace. He put a set on a frame I bought from him in early 2019.

I rode that bike for almost a year, switching between that bike and my '89 Centurion Ironman with conventional round chainrings (although I had switched that Ironman from 52/42 to 50/38 and 52/39, depending on my mood and expected elevation and wind conditions.)

So I was able to compare the perceived effort over dozens of rides on the same routes, between the bike with 52/42 Biopace and the other with round rings, both with 7-speed 13-28 freewheels or cassettes. That's why I was surprised to find the 42T small Biopace had a perceived effort on climbs comparable to my 38 and 39T round chainrings.

But I was still skeptical about the effect of bike weight and other factors, so I swapped the Biopace rings over to the Ironman and rode that for a couple of months. Same perceived effort -- the 42T Biopace felt more like a 38 or 39 round ring.
But did the biopace feel more efficient?
Old 11-24-20, 08:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
But did the biopace feel more efficient?
The Biopace rings *felt* weird at first. A bit surge-y or pulse-y. Took me a few rides to adapt my cadence to suit the chainrings.

I don't trust my perceptions regarding efficiency and deferred to the data. The data indicated Biopace was slightly more efficient for me, comparing data for the same routes over dozens of rides.

I do recall that when I rode the Biopace rings exclusively for a month or so and then returned to my bike with round chainrings, the round rings *felt* less efficient, as if part of the stroke was doing little or nothing. But, again, I trust the ride data more than perceptions, and I may simply have been missing the surge/pulse feel I'd become accustomed to.

And without a power meter, wind tunnel and complete data... it's still all subjective.

Subjectively, I felt like the Biopace rings worked for me. So I'd consider other eccentric rings for at least one of my bikes.
Old 11-25-20, 02:50 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

The Biopace rings *felt* weird at first. A bit surge-y or pulse-y. Took me a few rides to adapt my cadence to suit the chainrings.

I don't trust my perceptions regarding efficiency and deferred to the data. The data indicated Biopace was slightly more efficient for me, comparing data for the same routes over dozens of rides.

I do recall that when I rode the Biopace rings exclusively for a month or so and then returned to my bike with round chainrings, the round rings *felt* less efficient, as if part of the stroke was doing little or nothing. But, again, I trust the ride data more than perceptions, and I may simply have been missing the surge/pulse feel I'd become accustomed to.

And without a power meter, wind tunnel and complete data... it's still all subjective.

Subjectively, I felt like the Biopace rings worked for me. So I'd consider other eccentric rings for at least one of my bikes.
Inheritly, I think that biopace is more efficient in the sense that it certainly helps to promote healthier cycling habits.

Regardless, it still mostly depends on how its used and the way you time the most powerful part of the stroke. I definetely feel like I am getting an increase in smoother power delivery due to the fact that I am focusing on working with the natural power delivery
Old 11-25-20, 09:37 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Shimano put tons and tons of development effort into Biopace.
Yeah, back in the late 80s/early 90s. To my knowledge, they've abandoned it since. Several companies have since then refined the concept, marketed and sold them. I myself started using oval rings first with Rotor 10 years ago then again with Wolftooth and Absolute Black versions. Yeah they're oval but the power delivery on the cranks is better than the old Biopace.
Old 11-25-20, 05:44 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Inheritly, I think that biopace is more efficient in the sense that it certainly helps to promote healthier cycling habits.
In my 35 years of adult cycling i've been known to drink, smoke and cuss on the bike - shoulda been riding BioPace to fix that. Whoda thunkit!

Learn something new every day on this General Cycling Forum. No BS.
Old 11-25-20, 05:46 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts

Regardless, it still mostly depends on how its used and the way you time the most powerful part of the stroke. I definetely feel like I am getting an increase in smoother power delivery due to the fact that I am focusing on working with the natural power delivery
Old 11-25-20, 07:36 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by commo_soulja
Yeah, back in the late 80s/early 90s. To my knowledge, they've abandoned it since. Several companies have since then refined the concept, marketed and sold them. I myself started using oval rings first with Rotor 10 years ago then again with Wolftooth and Absolute Black versions. Yeah they're oval but the power delivery on the cranks is better than the old Biopace.
You think after reading this thread people would understand the difference between Biopace and the current crop of non-round chainrings. Biopace was trying to help less experienced riders that didn't really know how to pedal like more seasoned riders...who didn't know how to 'spin'. It was trying to smooth out their less-than-smooth pedal stroke. The current rings are designed to make more of the power portion of a riders pedal stroke. When you get to the point in the stroke where you make the most power the chainring becomes 'bigger' and pulls more chain. Biopace was never trying to do this.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-25-20, 08:55 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
I definetely feel like I am getting an increase in smoother power delivery due to the fact that I am focusing on working with the natural power delivery
Is it just me, or is this sentence gibberish?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-25-20, 10:04 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Is it just me, or is this sentence gibberish?
The latter.
Old 11-26-20, 06:33 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Can someone explain how biopace changes the tooth count throughout the pedal stroke?
Old 11-26-20, 06:49 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Can someone explain how biopace changes the tooth count throughout the pedal stroke?
Biopace (and other oval rings) changes the effective diameter throughout the rotation.. And tooth count is the term we cyclists use in place of diameter when talking about rings and cogs.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-26-20, 06:59 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Biopace (and other oval rings) changes the effective diameter throughout the rotation.. And tooth count is the term we cyclists use in place of diameter when talking about rings and cogs.
So biopace is the opposite? The diameter decreased at the powerful part of the stroke and uses this energy as momentum to get through the less powerful part?
Old 11-26-20, 07:18 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

So biopace is the opposite? The diameter decreased at the powerful part of the stroke and uses this energy as momentum to get through the less powerful part?
Opposite of what?
Old 11-26-20, 07:30 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Opposite of what?
The orientaion of the elliptical shaped ovals is the opposite of other typical oval chainring designs, right?
Old 11-26-20, 07:46 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

The orientaion of the elliptical shaped ovals is the opposite of other typical oval chainring designs, right?
Different, not necessarily opposite.

This has been discussed extensively in this thread. Have you missed all the references to “clocking”?

Last edited by Kapusta; 11-26-20 at 09:05 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 11-26-20, 07:57 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
This might be the kind of thing you should understand before posting a "review." Then this thread could've been a lot shorter.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-30-20, 01:47 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I really liked my Biopace back in the day and was disappointed when I was told it was no longer available and all of the stories that dissed them. Going back to roud rings was uncomfortable. Then I heard they were very expensive.

Does anyone make a close facsimile?
Old 11-30-20, 04:50 PM
jimrno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
today Nov. 30, 2020 over 135 Shimano Biopace rings/sets on E-bay.
Old 11-30-20, 05:11 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
today Nov. 30, 2020 another company introduces their new version of non-round chain rings with a clocking angle hitherto unknown to mankind.
Old 11-30-20, 06:54 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jimrno
today Nov. 30, 2020 over 135 Shimano Biopace rings/sets on E-bay.
Hi jimmo,
How would I know if it would fit my crankset?
Old 11-30-20, 07:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by alanf
Hi jimmo,
How would I know if it would fit my crankset?
Most (maybe all, but there's a lot of bike stuff I've never seen) Biopace double chainring sets for road bikes were 130 BCD, usually 52/42 chainrings. Catalogs show there was a Biopace 50T large ring but I've never seen one. With the common 130 BCD crank spiders we can fit a 38T small chainring, but only in conventional round configuration. The eccentric shape of the 42T Biopace is already effectively comparable to a 38T round chainring in the narrower sides where, theoretically, the legs are putting out less power. The elongated ends can be oriented to correspond with the strongest part of our pedal stroke.

Most mountain bike triple Biopace chainrings were 110 BCD for the middle/outer large chainrings, 74 BCD for the smallest chainring, usually 48/38/28. I've never owned a set but might eventually snag a set to try on my 1990s MTB instead of the Exage round triple set with 50/40/30 chainrings. Just curious, I doubt it would make much difference. But I'd want 170 cranks rather than the 175 I have now.
Old 11-30-20, 07:38 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Does it make sense to adjust the chainrings so that the teeth count increases at the powerful part of the stroke?
Old 11-30-20, 07:51 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Does it make sense to adjust the chainrings so that the teeth count increases at the powerful part of the stroke?
Yes, if you prefer to pedal with a high cadence. No, if not.
Old 11-30-20, 09:47 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
That would be the opposite of what Biopace was meant to.
Old 12-01-20, 06:34 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Most (maybe all, but there's a lot of bike stuff I've never seen) Biopace double chainring sets for road bikes were 130 BCD, usually 52/42 chainrings. Catalogs show there was a Biopace 50T large ring but I've never seen one. With the common 130 BCD crank spiders we can fit a 38T small chainring, but only in conventional round configuration. The eccentric shape of the 42T Biopace is already effectively comparable to a 38T round chainring in the narrower sides where, theoretically, the legs are putting out less power. The elongated ends can be oriented to correspond with the strongest part of our pedal stroke.

Most mountain bike triple Biopace chainrings were 110 BCD for the middle/outer large chainrings, 74 BCD for the smallest chainring, usually 48/38/28. I've never owned a set but might eventually snag a set to try on my 1990s MTB instead of the Exage round triple set with 50/40/30 chainrings. Just curious, I doubt it would make much difference. But I'd want 170 cranks rather than the 175 I have now.
Why don't you like the 175 arms? Whats your inseam?

I think your current front teeth count should work pretty great for a variety of different needs, depending on what sort of range you got going on in the rear

The biopace 28/38/48 crankset could be worth a try if you want slightly better efficiency in each gear. Maybe fine tune your pedaling habits a little. I'd say it's worth a try just for fun- sort of like testing out different length stems.

One thing to note - I've tried testing fitting the triple chainring crankset onto both my bikes and the smallest chainring did not clear the chainstays on either bike. You need a certain length bottom bracket spindle it seems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.