Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Tricycle or Adult Stabilizer Wheels for Neuropathy?

Old 11-29-20, 09:49 PM
BikerCarla

Bikes: Trek mountain bike, Specialize Robuaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do a lot of shopping and trying out

I got my husband a SUN trike (78 yrs old) who used to ride regular bikes 5 years ago. His leg and foot neuropathy prevents him from being able to lift his leg over the low step over which is 14-15". He has to tilt the trike to get on. I would go find some trikes to try out and see how easy he can step over to get on. A lot would depend on if he has any other balance issues. Also, he'll have to be realistic on how far he can pedal. I wouldn't get anything any less than 3 speeds if you go with a trike.
Old 12-01-20, 11:34 AM
cutdbeard

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BikerCarla
I got my husband a SUN trike (78 yrs old) who used to ride regular bikes 5 years ago. His leg and foot neuropathy prevents him from being able to lift his leg over the low step over which is 14-15". He has to tilt the trike to get on. I would go find some trikes to try out and see how easy he can step over to get on. A lot would depend on if he has any other balance issues. Also, he'll have to be realistic on how far he can pedal. I wouldn't get anything any less than 3 speeds if you go with a trike.
Maybe adding a machine thing just to help it accelerate more so your husband won't be needing to really apply pressure on the pedals.
Old 12-06-20, 09:38 PM
RonInBC

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alan Bikes
I think riding a tricycle is a good option
I'm a newbie here but not without some experience in building adapted bikes for disabled people.

I'd hoped to start off posting photos and write-ups of a couple of interesting builds that I've done but I have to get my 10 posts done first.

There's two ways to look at trikes being the best solution. One is the practical view, that it simply makes sense given the person's physical circumstances. The other view though is that the recipient may have a negative connotation to the term "tricycle". The two builds that I'll be starting off with both had this as a factor as to what was acceptable to the recipient.

Ron