Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mini-project: 70's Gazelle Grand Tourist 3-speed

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mini-project: 70's Gazelle Grand Tourist 3-speed

Old 12-13-20, 08:45 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 985 Times in 518 Posts
My Dyno/drum front hub and wheel, a 635 ERTO SS clincher rim, 2.46kg.

Likes For bwilli88:
Old 12-14-20, 11:17 AM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
That's a pretty nice bike! Most of the 60's "sport" bikes I have seen online are cool lightweight rides. Are those butted tubes or straight gauge?
Wooden fenders look cool but what I don't like about them is the lack of functional coverage. All they do is prevent a straight line going down your back. I guess that's why I don't care about those modern straight Curana fenders. Though I do like the material used.

In better news related to this bike though;
I finally finished the front wheel!
Yes, it is a very lightweight and responsive ride. At least, it felt like that before I put those racks on it. It's 531 DB according to the decal. I haven't weighted the frame but it's comparable to similar framesets. The fork is some noname replacement though, way stiffer than the fork on my Gazelle for example and I supsect it was meant for 27 inch wheels. But it works so I don't really mind, at least for now.

Good job with that wheel! Which store sold you those spokes, by the way? They should have payed more attention!
Likes For alexnagui:
Old 12-23-20, 12:54 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
I wasn't entirely happy with the fit of the Little Big Ben 40-622 tyres. They required me to deflate the rear tyre to remove the wheel and it came very close to the chainstays, which made adjustment... tricky. Fine for me but not if I want to sell this to someone else.
However, there don't seem to be any cream options in the 32-622 size, but there is the whitewall Schwalbe Road Cruiser. One order and a couple of minutes later, and we have this:

Little Big Ben in the rear, Road Cruiser in the front

Fit, a "little bit" tight

Whitewall Road Cruiser tyres front and rear

More next week after the holidays
Old 12-28-20, 06:03 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

No pictures today but I worked a lot on the bike today, mostly pulling wires through the frame and tidying things up.

The front fender now has a really nice line over the tyre and the rear light has been wired up, with the cable running along the inside of the fender.
I removed the rear rack for now, we'll see in daylight whether that makes the bike look a bit more sporty or not.

For tomorrow I plan to open up the hub and relube everything but the tool that arrived today requires a few hits with a hammer and that wasn't a very nice thing to do at 23:00 in my apartment.

Sold the original stainless steel wheels to a nice gentleman and his wife who is restoring a rim brake version of this bike and wanted the original wheels. We talked a lot and I managed to free up some space in the shed.

Check out the size of that thing though:
Old 12-29-20, 11:15 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Well this was a disappointment...

Spent the day overhauling the rear hub. Degreasing and oiling everything but not a complete disassembly because these hubs are a bit more work to take apart than your classic AW.
Some new grease and medium thickness oil later and the hub was spinning better than ever before. So I decide to spin the wheel up to high speeds to spread the oil around and backpedalled a bit.

And then disaster struck.

The wheel immediately came to a stop and would only spin with a great amount of force. Like the kind of force required to keep going if the wheel is dragging against the frame.

So what happened? Well, this:

This is part #11 (HSH482) in this exploded view. My best guess is there was a bit of grease stuck behind the pawl that prevented it from fully moving out of the way. So when I backpedalled at high speed it partially hit the ratcheting cup on the inside of the hub, but not entirely, sheering it in half.
I have found the offending part online (here) but I hope I might have some compatible spares lying around as it looks very similar to the HSA573 pawl in the XL-RD5(w) of the SilverAce.

But probably no such luck.

No visible damage to the inside of the shell or hub but it still stinks. I was planning to be done with the bike for today. -_-

Anyway, the hub is now fully cleaned around that area and lying on the heater to dry completely.

Pre-cleaned shot of the hub. Notice the grease behind the pawl.
Old 01-02-21, 12:00 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Another mystery solved. Turns out I'm an idiot.

I received the new pawls today and installed them straight away. Only to immediately break another one.
Turns out the threading of the hub goes one direction but the pawls go the other way. So when assembling this hub (or its RXL-RD5 sister model) you thread in the hub assembly until you start encountering a little bit of resistance, then spin the cog in the freewheeling direction (allowing the pawls to spring into the stepped part of the hub), then tighten everything down using the tool.

Still, it looked really nice for a few moments like this;

No good shots yet. It's dark, cold and misty but here is a teaser shot:

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 01-08-21, 05:05 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Pre-clean images of the bike. I planned to take some pictures earlier but it has been pretty grey and rainy outside the past couple of weeks.

I ended up guiding the shifter cable through the bottom in the end as it was easier to set up using the manual (no custom trial and error cable length) which I consider a plus for any future buyer.
The final thing to look at is the front drum brake and replacing the pedals. It feels like the brakes shoes were contaminated but I know they should clean right up with a bit of sanding to deglaze them and a deep clean with alcohol.

Next to the Koga-Miyata SilverAce

Last edited by JaccoW; 01-08-21 at 08:34 AM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 01-12-21, 03:41 PM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Looks great, the new tires look more appropriate and fit the bike much better
Likes For alexnagui:
Old 02-21-21, 05:11 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

One more deep clean, polish and wax before a photoshoot to post the bike for sale online.

Well, this is the result of said photoshoot : P

Not sure I will be able to get my money back for this one, since bicycle prices around here are notoriously low, but even here supplies have run out.

Old 02-21-21, 09:42 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2414 Post(s)
Liked 4,374 Times in 2,086 Posts
Nicer than anything I could ever find at the LBS for the next 20 years. Absolutely gorgeous.

I'd be jealous of it if I didn't have my '80 Sports to play with, Jacco!

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888: