Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-20, 03:37 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
The seller says it's unique. And I am inclined to believe him.
That bike is like a diamond-studded turd. No matter how many diamonds you stick on it, at the end of the day its still a turd.
Old 01-01-21, 07:10 AM
dmarkun
Slowfoot

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh International, 1979 Scapin (?), 1980 Trek 715, 1984 SR Maxima, 1993 Bridgestone RB1, 1998 753 Waterford X-12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 49 Posts
Miele Antique Bike: diagram of the measurements - for a taller rider I guess

Likes For dmarkun:
Old 01-01-21, 07:28 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Originally Posted by dmarkun
Miele Antique Bike: diagram of the measurements - for a taller rider I guess
Need plenty of room for the chair.

Old 01-01-21, 02:27 PM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
no aggies!

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bi...251270451.html

Pretty strange to discriminate against Texas A&M alumni and fans when selling a used bike.
Old 01-01-21, 02:50 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
I've got one of these festering in a toolbox somewhere. Got it for about 10 bucks about 40 years ago. It's a heavy tool, so maybe if it was made of solid gold, this absurdly priced listing would make sense. At least the shipping is free!

Gerber Cool Tool Bicycle Repair Original Vintage Mountain Tour Accessory Kit - $300

Old 01-05-21, 10:30 AM
cog_nate 
"SURE!"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 36 Posts
Everything about this is just plain awful:
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bi...254160580.html

"RESTORED CUSTOM 52' SCHWINN STRAIGHT BAR KLUNKER - CRUISER- BMX - ALL NEW PARTS EXCEPT THE FRAME. RIDES GREAT.

LOOKS BETTER IN PERSON

Price [$600] is firm"
Old 01-05-21, 10:47 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by cog_nate
Everything about this is just plain awful:
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bi...254160580.html

"RESTORED CUSTOM 52' SCHWINN STRAIGHT BAR KLUNKER - CRUISER- BMX - ALL NEW PARTS EXCEPT THE FRAME. RIDES GREAT.

LOOKS BETTER IN PERSON

Price [$600] is firm"
Awful in what way? I've built a dozen klunker bikes like this using decrepit-turned-new old newsboy frames. Some people really like these. Remember: Not every old bike, car, motorcycle, etc. can be saved. Better to spring from the ashes as a phoenix than to rot away in perpetuity awaiting a full resto.
Old 01-05-21, 12:51 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 1,191 Posts
^^^^^^^ No way that bike is 52 feet long.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 01-05-21, 12:55 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
I agree with J.Higgins . Nice bike. Not $600 nice, though. I have a Schwinn Heavy Duti that is similar. I like the straight bar frame ion this one, and the fact that it looks like a freewheel rather than a coaster brake, like mine. I also like the star chainring. This makes gear changes much easier.

Knowing that 80's BMX stuff is going for lots of $$$, perhaps this is not a crazy price. It does have period correct pieces and everything seems to match.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 01-09-21, 02:54 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts
I was gonna make a joke about them mentioning other things bent and broken besides the fork, but now that I re-read the ad copy, I think they're calling the fork a shaft for some reason. In any case, still an ambitious price.

Vintage Raleigh Bicycle -*Bent Shaft & Broken Pedal* -$100 (Lakewood, CO)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined

Beautiful vintage Raleigh bicycle. Got in a fight with the car and does have a bent shaft (see where the wheel overlaps) and broken pedal. Otherwise, all gears, cables, wheels are in great working condition. Seems like a good accent/decor peice or perfect for someone that can fix.
Old 01-09-21, 05:03 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Clang
Flip the fork 180°, only requires moving the stem and F. brake, might ride just fine!
Not that I'm recommending a buy here, just spitballin'

Mark B in Seattle
Old 01-10-21, 12:37 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Flip the fork 180°, only requires moving the stem and F. brake, might ride just fine!
Agreed - and then the QR will be on the correct side, too

DD
Old 01-10-21, 05:25 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
I was gonna make a joke about them mentioning other things bent and broken besides the fork, but now that I re-read the ad copy, I think they're calling the fork a shaft for some reason. In any case, still an ambitious price.

A friend of mine recently acquired a Little Brute fork straightener, yup, from a pile in an old barn. Pre-historic car jack sort of thing but I'm itching to try it. Wish I could borrow that Raleigh. As I've often said: "I'll either fix it or destroy it".
Old 01-10-21, 08:43 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Prowler

A friend of mine recently acquired a Little Brute fork straightener, yup, from a pile in an old barn. Pre-historic car jack sort of thing but I'm itching to try it. Wish I could borrow that Raleigh. As I've often said: "I'll either fix it or destroy it".

A local frame builder has one. I brought him a bike with a "problem" but nowhere near as bad as that Raleigh and it only took a few minutes. I know that the Raleigh is really really bad but I suggest you make small corrections and even though it's a hassle, after a little bit of movement, stop, remove the tool and check how close you are. He did mine carefully and it took only three adjustments to get it exact as the forks will bend easily.
Ps you might end up with misaligned forks as well when you are finished so watch for that.

Old 01-10-21, 08:55 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
As I've often said: "I'll either fix it or destroy it".
The variant I learned as a young mechanic is "I'll either fix it, or #&*@ it up so bad nobody can fix it"
Old 01-10-21, 04:43 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Prowler

A local frame builder has one. I brought him a bike with a "problem" but nowhere near as bad as that Raleigh and it only took a few minutes. I know that the Raleigh is really really bad but I suggest you make small corrections and even though it's a hassle, after a little bit of movement, stop, remove the tool and check how close you are. He did mine carefully and it took only three adjustments to get it exact as the forks will bend easily.
Ps you might end up with misaligned forks as well when you are finished so watch for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIY0e7wM4jg
The last fork I straightened had one side extra wonky, so I made a jig to do it; took frame blocks and clamped the steerer tube (had to straighten that first) to a good solid section of U-channel, got the dropouts more or less in the correct places, than bolted an old steel hub in place and stood on the end of the U-channel and just pulled it to almost straight; tidied things up with a few tweaks from a length of soft pine between the U-channel and the fork blades. Having it clamped this way made it much easier, not only for the bending, but also for the measuring. I must have got lucky, now I can't tell which blade was the bad one - or indeed that it was bent at all.
Old 01-11-21, 01:47 AM
2fat2fly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Its actually a lot of bikes all together for sale but the rest aren't in much better shape that this one is.
With the bent frame and fork, rusty rims, etc, I doubt there's even any salvageable parts on this one.
At least nothing that's not rusted or bent.
(This style fork seems pretty common lately).
I like the part that says "most roll fine but all will need tires, tubes etc etc."
I think these are gonna need a lot more than tires and tubes, check out the rust on some of those rims.

https://cnj.craigslist.org/bik/d/whi...256993447.html
___________________________________________________________________________________________

............................."most roll fine but all will need tires, tubes etc etc"......................................
____________________________________________________________________________________________________ ___
Old 01-11-21, 03:00 AM
2fat2fly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Prowler

A Park FCG-1 gauge and a FFS-2 lever/bar is a better choice. I don't see how that jack style thing can control were the fork bends and it does nothing to fix a fork that's not bent perfectly square.
I could see it adapted though for straightening the frame itself if it were to push against a solid bar placed up through the head tube in order to bend that back into place. Park also made a jack/screw type headtube straightener for just that purpose as well.
Old 01-11-21, 07:41 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Prowler

I used one of these back in the '60s when I had a paper route and used to hang out at the little lawn-mower-and-bicycle shop in the neighborhood. That was probably Mr. Woody's most sophisticated tool but it did work to get a fork to be less bent than it had been.
Old 01-11-21, 10:34 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by 2fat2fly
Its actually a lot of bikes all together for sale but the rest aren't in much better shape that this one is.
With the bent frame and fork, rusty rims, etc, I doubt there's even any salvageable parts on this one.
At least nothing that's not rusted or bent.
(This style fork seems pretty common lately).

I like the part that says "most roll fine but all will need tires, tubes etc etc."
I think these are gonna need a lot more than tires and tubes, check out the rust on some of those rims.
That's the style of fork that is much debated in this thread whether it's bent or backwards or meant to be that way. If it's not rusted out, and could be salvaged with some elbow grease, I wouldn't mind throwing a fork like that on a bike just to annoy and perplex guys like y'alls
Old 01-12-21, 11:05 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts
Oh my god - I've been riding Pro-Explosion TIRES this whole time! Chilling!

*NEW* 26” Foldable Mountain Bike - $135 (Conyers, GA)

Old 01-12-21, 11:40 AM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
I've got one of these festering in a toolbox somewhere. Got it for about 10 bucks about 40 years ago. It's a heavy tool, so maybe if it was made of solid gold, this absurdly priced listing would make sense. At least the shipping is free!

Gerber Cool Tool Bicycle Repair Original Vintage Mountain Tour Accessory Kit - $300

Geez, at that price it could at least say BREV. CAMP. on it
Old 01-12-21, 01:16 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Oh my god - I've been riding Pro-Explosion TIRES this whole time! Chilling!

*NEW* 26” Foldable Mountain Bike - $135 (Conyers, GA)

OMG, what a great idea! And especially with those "fashion wheels" !! Sign me up.
Old 01-12-21, 05:34 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Custom painted bike

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 01-18-21, 10:56 PM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
1973 Rene Herse Demontable ( very rare ) - $15,000

I know original Rene Herse bicycles are desirable, but not $15,000 CAD desirable.

Rene Herse Demontable

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn...264302345.html

Hi there,

*Please be respectful and do some research on this bike before contacting or lowballing me.*
Our family has a very rare Rene Herse we'd like to part ways with if the right buyer is interested for the right price. For years it has been hanging on display in our home, this 'Demontable' is a piece of cycling history and belongs in a museum! We'd love to find a new owner that appreciates it as much as we do.

Info:
1973 Rene Herse Demontable 22"
Wheelbase: 40"
Standover: 32"
- One of the first collapsible bikes.
- All original Campagnolo Parts
- Early 70's Unicanitor Brevettata Leather Saddle - Made in Italy. (worth a couple hundred alone in this condition)
- Ordered direct from Rene Herse in April 1973 by artist George Juhasz. (name engraved on handlebar mount)
- Can provide confirmation from Rene Herse of matching serial number/name to the order in their books.
- Might be able to find original rene herse carrying case for the dissembled bike in our storage to include.
- We were told this bike is a unique one-off, only one made of this version!

Bike is overall in really good condition. Everything being original besides the bar grips which were replaced about 5 or 6 years back when the original wraps began flaking off.
This bike has an awesome history that comes with it if your interested in purchasing I can share with you.
We had some talks with a museum in the US to purchase this bike but recently they fell through during covid. It could easily auction higher than our asking price so please don't lowball but shoot me a fair offer as we are open to negotiating on price. I have more detailed photo's and information I can share with anyone interested!

Here is a link to an auction of a similar demontable from 2015 sold for USD $11,000 (around 14k CAD), since then value has risen on these...
https://www.dorotheum.com/en/l/2798224/

Thanks for viewing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.