Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Carlton frame on eBay. What is this thing on the fork?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-20, 09:31 PM
dmarkun
Slowfoot

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh International, 1979 Scapin (?), 1980 Trek 715, 1984 SR Maxima, 1993 Bridgestone RB1, 1998 753 Waterford X-12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 49 Posts

Old 12-31-20, 09:34 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
That is a light mount bracket. The light has a mounting fixture that slides onto that vertical squarish section.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 12-31-20, 11:06 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

it is placed upon the right blade because the cycle is designed for use in a land where traffic flows on the left side of the road

the brazed-on fitting on the fork blade is referred to as the "lamp boss"

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 01-01-21, 01:17 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
Required by law for any cycle intended to be ridden on public roads in the UK. But if the bike/trike/cycle was made strictly for 'competition' (or for export out of the UK) then the lamp boss could be, would be, left off. Left right off
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 01-01-21, 04:44 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
It's a lamp bracket, designed to fit one of the old Ever Ready lamps.

The lamps ran on two D sized batteries which lasted for an hour if you were lucky, and illuminated a small patch of road about 6 feet in front of you. The spring loaded clamp on the lamp wasn't great either, so on occasion if you hit a bump the lamp would spring off your bike and clatter into the road, popping apart, shedding the batteries and frequently breaking the bulb too.

There was a rear version too, which had a bolt on clamp around the seatstay. Same battery life, just as dim, but at least it didn't ping off the bike.

Brings back memories of evening rides in the 80s - we rode in a line with the leader being the guy with a working front light and the man at the back having a working tail lamp. Happy days, but I love the rechargeable LED lights I use now!
Old 01-01-21, 05:45 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Required by law for any cycle intended to be ridden on public roads in the UK.
The light, that is; not the boss.

And only when ridden (no intent required) between sunset and sunrise.

(And the above is only for Britain; other bits of the UK have their own Road Traffic Acts and regulations that may differ.)
Old 01-01-21, 12:33 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I think OP needs to get out more.
Old 01-01-21, 01:15 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
I have similar bosses in the same location but on both sides on my Mooney forks. For LowRiders. I asked Peter for LowRider bosses when I ordered the bike and he said he would not drill a fork blade. 11 months after my fork breaking and near killing me, I didn't argue and used the Blackburn U-bolts. 4 years later, I had crashed the fork and ordered a new one from Peter (with tweaks that might improve the ride), Ask again re: the bosses. He said he was willing to go the light bosses because he wouldn't have to drill. I said yes and he brazed on English bosses considerably sexier than those Carton bosses. 5/16" bolt so I have to enlarge the rack holes but they have worked flawlessly.

And a comment on the lights BITD. I bought the then common generator light and mounted it on my new Peugeot UO-8. Ridign home at 9pm, I passed a single parked car relatively close because I knew there was a car a ways behind me. The parked car was dark and under a streetlight so I could not see inside. Door opened and I hit it. (The door was history. I walks away with just two perfect 1" bruises on my thighs form the bar ends. Crooked bars and brake lever.)

I realized afterwards that the light was not bright enough. It allowed me to feel secure but offered none. I took it off and rode without a headlight for 25 years until there was a good halogen light. The entire time I rode with a light strapped to my ankle. Drivers saw that, even BITD when it was a 2 C-cell job. (There is no other light that goes up and down. Different attracts attention.)