Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Shoe Covers

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Bike Shoe Covers

Old 11-28-20, 07:27 PM
BROOKLINEBIKER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Bike Shoe Covers

Hi folks,
I'm seeking bike shoe covers for winter bike commuting to keep the cold and rain out. I wear Specialized Recon 2.0 mountain bike shoes and use Speedplay Syzr pedals with cleats. I've tried the Pearl Izumi toe covers and Gore bike booties but both seem prone to ripping. Any recommendations?
Likes For BROOKLINEBIKER:
Old 11-29-20, 07:04 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Per the suggestion of another member here, I got the "Dry-Guy" boot covers for cross country skiing.

In the one or two times I needed to wear them last winter, they worked great. They slip on and off with no tearing and they kept my feet dry.
Old 11-29-20, 07:44 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I’ve given up covers for commuting. I’m too lazy to pull them off at dismount, and even the short walk from bike rack to dressing room chews them up.
Old 12-12-20, 09:58 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
I use and recommend the looser and tougher ones sold at mec in the past, have used the same pair for maybe 15 years. Loose means I can put insulation fleece under for warmth.
Old 12-14-20, 05:34 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
For wet weather above freezing I've had good experience with Velotoze, they are stretch neoprene, close to water proof, and at $15+/- the price can't be beat.

After a couple months, the cover over the ankle bone wore from friction and tore, so I used a standard tire vulcanization patch kit for the repair, and it's good as new.
Old 12-14-20, 09:29 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
BBB neoprene booties from Wiggle are the best I've ever used. Thing is, no bootie will keep your feet dry for long, because water runs down your legs right into your shoes. The way to keep your feet dry, whatever booties or boots you use is to put dry suit replacement leg seals on your bare leg above your socks and booties, so that they come down over the tops of said booties. This works perfectly for many hours of steady rain. You can find them online or in dive shops.
Old 12-20-20, 07:27 AM
Dino_Sore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 37 Posts
Which Gore shoe covers did you try? I have the C5 Windstopper Overshoe for road bike use and they have held up pretty well for me. But, expensive.

If you are already using mtb shoes, you might consider a dedicated winter mtb boot combined with a waterproof sock. Sealskinz makes waterproof mtb socks that I wear in temperatures down to single digits (F). I also have a Gore waterproof outer sock that I wear over a wool or synthetic hiking sock. Either option is warm and completely keeps out water. As someone else mentioned, the water will eventually find its way around shoe covers.
Old 12-25-20, 03:01 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts
I just got a pair of the new Velotoze for Xmas. Can’t wait to use them. They aren’t the neoprene style, but more like the latex swim cap material...just a bit thicker. Looks like they might work well for warmth too. Regarding protecting from wetness...I don’t mind feet getting wet so much...it’s more the dirt and grit from the road that gets all over the shoes that bugs me. These Velotoze will likely cause wetness from the inside out since they clearly don’t breathe. But, they’ll be easy to clean off and the grit won’t get on the shoes and socks.

Dan
Old 12-25-20, 08:52 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Use proper winter boots and you won't need any shoe covers.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 12-26-20, 06:31 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 610 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Use proper winter boots and you won't need any shoe covers.
This.
I bought Northwave winter shoes a few years ago. No more fussing with neoprene & cold toes. I bought slightly big, for extra room for thicker socks.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 12-26-20, 08:58 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 955 Times in 785 Posts
While my rain booties are great for cool riding, plus adding in the fleece for insulation, winter riding in Canada has been so much more comfortable and warm just using flat pedals and my winter boots. Easier too for hike a bike and jumping off and running if need be.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-03-21, 10:23 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I have Gore Windstoppers that are insulated with fleece, still using after nearly 10 years. Salt corroded the zipper sliders off several times and I replaced. Other than that, they've held up fine. They breathe well and keep my feet warm and dry.