Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bike stuff that bugs you more than it bugs most people

Old 01-09-21, 10:49 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I sort of liked the foam on the bars.
I picked up a Schwinn Continental this past spring when working out east, it had foam on the bars, and I really liked it, especially nice in the drops where more weight was on my hands...
Old 01-11-21, 01:41 PM
Duragrouch

Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by jackbombay
I picked up a Schwinn Continental this past spring when working out east, it had foam on the bars, and I really liked it, especially nice in the drops where more weight was on my hands...
Bar foam, also known as Grab-Ons; I LOVED Grab-ons! Hard to find, last I looked. Started using when I got nerve pain in my hands from 3 hours of biking every evening. Went from drop bars to bullhorn, tilted up about 30 degrees with foam, and the thickest foam palm gloves I could find. Did very neat installation, cut tiny hole for brake handles to grab the band clamp inside the foam, totally covered by the hoods, even routed the brake cables inside the foam, looked great. (Tip for installing foam: Shave cream on the inside, they slide on, dries hard, at least it worked great with gel shave stuff.)

A year later I added first model Scott clip-on aero bars with forearm cup spaces to elevate to a comfortable height, that took all the pressure off my hands, when I could be on the aeros, which was only about half the time. Later, I bought a LWB recumbent for touring, but my gripe there is zero ability to stand on the pedals so more knee stress during climbing, I went back to conventional bikes, plus, long bents are a bear to get in and out of the apartment, especially stairs, if you don't have a garage to keep it in..

I still use high-mounted clip-on aero bars to prevent hand damage on long rides.
Old 01-11-21, 01:54 PM
Duragrouch

Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by BradH
Road cassettes that start at 11 teeth.

Road cassettes that jump 2 or more at 19 or fewer cogs. If I can make it to at least 17 one at a time I'm probably ok, as long as I've had a cup of coffee.
All hail the 11-tooth cog! With a 52 chainring, it gives my 20" wheel folder a tall enough top gear to preclude the need for an internal hub gear as an overdrive (like they need on a Brompton with much smaller wheels), which greatly increases annual maintenance costs in rainy places (needs annual teardown and lube with marine grease). Not tall enough to bomb down hills, I need to coast, but that's OK. But yes, it's not a "road" bike in the true sense. But come to think of it, the 650c Litespeed set up for triathlons I found for a friend, definitely a road bike, probably needs/has an 11, I can't recall the smallest cog, I'll have to look.

I'm also a fan of triple cranks with a moderate cassette instead of single crank with a megarange. Including road triples; It adds so little weight, but it's really handy on very long climbs when you run out of wheaties. I converted my '89 road bike to a triple, best thing I ever did.
Old 01-11-21, 04:39 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
What 'irks' me when I see it...

Riders who wear all-black at night...double irk points if no lights either!
So much of the cold weather clothing on the market seems to be black.
I expect tights and booties to be black, but I see black jackets and just wonder why it can't be offered in something more visible. Cold weather implies overcast weather or night riding and makes high visibility a priority!

Lights certainly help, but being able to see the rider's torso makes it more obvious what the other road user is about to encounter.

Steve in Peoria (and I hope that this is something that bothers more than just a few folks)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-11-21, 06:29 PM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,050 Posts
Overly ornate lugs.

Curlicues have no place on my bikes.
Old 01-11-21, 06:46 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I expect tights and booties to be black, but I see black jackets and just wonder why it can't be offered in something more visible. Cold weather implies overcast weather or night riding and makes high visibility a priority!

Lights certainly help, but being able to see the rider's torso makes it more obvious what the other road user is about to encounter.

Steve in Peoria (and I hope that this is something that bothers more than just a few folks)
I think it bothers motorists, too. They resent us enough at times.
Wearing black at night also makes it harder to back over us to make sure there are no witnesses.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 01-11-21, 06:47 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by jackbombay
I picked up a Schwinn Continental this past spring when working out ...
Cheaper than free weights....
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 01-11-21, 06:48 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Headset spacers should be 2-3mm tall. 5mm might be acceptable in a pinch. When I see it approaching 10mm, I'm thinking something went way wrong.
Headset compensating.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 01-11-21, 06:53 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Overly ornate lugs.

You’ll really hate my newest bike.....
Old 01-11-21, 07:53 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
looks like a columbine. yowza!
Old 01-11-21, 08:24 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts

That's why have my cheap Harbor Freight reflective safety vest... Velcro straps... Fits over everything. Oh, and I STILL use my blinky lights front and rear! Front blinky because someone STILL pulled out right in front of me despite my steady headlight (less than 30' away) -- I'm certain because he was looking for a car-size object... So I since added a low-intensity white LED blinky to the front in addition to the steady 250 lum (on 'low beam') LED headlight...
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 01-11-21, 08:43 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Duragrouch
All hail the 11-tooth cog! With a 52 chainring, it gives my 20" wheel folder a tall enough top gear to preclude the need for an internal hub gear as an overdrive (like they need on a Brompton with much smaller wheels), which greatly increases annual maintenance costs in rainy places (needs annual teardown and lube with marine grease). Not tall enough to bomb down hills, I need to coast, but that's OK. But yes, it's not a "road" bike in the true sense. But come to think of it, the 650c Litespeed set up for triathlons I found for a friend, definitely a road bike, probably needs/has an 11, I can't recall the smallest cog, I'll have to look.

I'm also a fan of triple cranks with a moderate cassette instead of single crank with a megarange. Including road triples; It adds so little weight, but it's really handy on very long climbs when you run out of wheaties. I converted my '89 road bike to a triple, best thing I ever did.

I understand there are Q factor issues, especially with wider BB shells on some carbon bikes. But Triples to me, even with the less precise shifting as rear derailleurs, are simpler, less prone to damage, and a great solution for riders wanting that bail-out gear ratio when climbing. I think a triple is almost a requisite for touring bikes for loaded tours.
Likes For Het Volk:
Old 01-11-21, 09:03 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by BradH
Road cassettes that start at 11 teeth.

Road cassettes that jump 2 or more at 19 or fewer cogs. If I can make it to at least 17 one at a time I'm probably ok, as long as I've had a cup of coffee.
That depends...

My 35+year-old road-ridden bikes all have six-speed freewheels, so it is tough not to have jumps of 2t or more... My two road bikes have 13-14-15-17-19-21 and 13-15-17-19-21-24 because I live in the glacially-scoured lower Great Lakes (and I have a straight-block 13-18 in the parts bin should 'I feel the need for speed' ), the dedicated tourer has a seven-speed 14-16-18-21-24-28-32, and also has the advantage of a 28/42/45 triple. Yes, there are some gearing duplications across all three rings, but in flatlands I use the large/middle rings, and hills the middle/granny. It just makes sense to me...

My old beloved '75 Fuji - that was my ONLY bike for 35+ years until I got infected with the BF.net N+1 virus - wears a 13-21 six-speed and 28/40/48 triple...
Old 01-12-21, 01:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4912 Post(s)
Liked 8,009 Times in 3,788 Posts
Handlebar bags on a go-fast road machine. It seems to be a growing trend.
Old 01-12-21, 03:53 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 275 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
- Overweight cyclists in super tight lycra on aero carbon bikes. I mean, really?
that's very hurtful
Old 01-12-21, 04:04 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
that's very hurtful
maybe in his 80's he'll find himself overweight, in a diaper, and a carbon wheelchair eating lime jello
Likes For thook:
Old 01-12-21, 05:33 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts

I got one of these in. I'll give it a try/review on a run later tonight and take a selfie for the forum.

https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360
Old 01-12-21, 06:43 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by seypat
I got one of these in. I'll give it a try/review on a run later tonight and take a selfie for the forum.

https://www.noxgear.com/tracer360
can't hurt... unless you get the drivers wondering what you are and end up driving into you as they just stare at you.

only partly kidding... I've had people do that when I've been riding a recumbent. I think the term is "target fixation". I had to give them a signal to get back on their side of the road.
I've also had a teenage kid nearly run me over as he stared at my tail light one night. <sigh> He hit my pannier and came back to check on me.

Be visible, and keep a close eye on the idiots around you.

Steve in Peoria
(target fixation is what killed Lieutenant Murphy in my squadron in the Marines. He pulled up too late on a bombing run and flew into the ground)
Old 01-12-21, 06:49 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Overly ornate lugs.

that means more for me!! yay!!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-12-21, 07:48 PM
Ptcycles

Bikes: 73 Schwinn Continental, (my first), 1993 Nobelette, Cannondale 500,Team Fugi, Raleigh Supercourse, Raleigh Gran Sport, 1976 Krystal, Tsunami, Giant Boulder SE, Series 30 Paramount, Scott Unitrack, As long as I have room the Hoard will grow...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Bugs me but shouldn't

Watching some doofus mashing around me huffing and puffing, looking miserable, and stoic. Once I found how to ride with cadence, it saved my life, better rides, better workout and a endless enjoyment. Just saying..
Likes For Ptcycles:
Old 01-12-21, 08:11 PM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by Ptcycles
Watching some doofus mashing around me huffing and puffing, looking miserable, and stoic. Once I found how to ride with cadence, it saved my life, better rides, better workout and a endless enjoyment. Just saying..

There is a reason he/she is passing you.
Old 01-12-21, 08:12 PM
Het Volk

that means more for me!! yay!!

Steve in Peoria
Love Hetchins
Likes For Het Volk:
Old 01-12-21, 08:18 PM
Het Volk

Originally Posted by Eric F
Handlebar bags on a go-fast road machine. It seems to be a growing trend.
Where else do I hang the bag than on my aero bars on my $8,000 TT bike that I like to ride at 30 MPH on a local bike path where kids, moms with strollers and dogs also populate?
Old 01-12-21, 09:00 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Het Volk
Where else do I hang the bag than on my aero bars on my $8,000 TT bike that I like to ride at 30 MPH on a local bike path where kids, moms with strollers and dogs also populate?
in the pockets back of your shirt, silly. that way the uncomfortable sweat builds up while the load bounces about looking like a bad case of goiter. then all those pedestrians can really look at you strange.

oh, don't forget your air horn
Old 01-13-21, 07:13 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,511 Times in 1,510 Posts
can't hurt... unless you get the drivers wondering what you are and end up driving into you as they just stare at you.

only partly kidding... I've had people do that when I've been riding a recumbent. I think the term is "target fixation". I had to give them a signal to get back on their side of the road.
I've also had a teenage kid nearly run me over as he stared at my tail light one night. <sigh> He hit my pannier and came back to check on me.

Be visible, and keep a close eye on the idiots around you.

Steve in Peoria
(target fixation is what killed Lieutenant Murphy in my squadron in the Marines. He pulled up too late on a bombing run and flew into the ground)
My house is on a cut through street of the subdivision. It sits in a slight bend and hill section of the street. Cars/drivers routinely ignore the 25mph posted speed and get faster during off hours. During the holiday season, I wrap my mailbox/post in Christmas lights. Because of the bend, the lighted mailbox/post appears to be in the middle of the road from either direction. Cars approaching immediately slow down when the get within a couple hundred yards. When the lights aren't there, the speeds go back up. I've thought about installing something permanent, but haven't yet.

Last edited by seypat; 01-13-21 at 11:45 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.