Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-21, 06:04 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Which part of Skyline is doable on 28s?
From the water tank at the end of E Skyline to The TV station at Punta Del Este is decent dirt road. It starts out from the tank a bit loose, but gets much better after a few hundred yards. Even up from Powder Canyon is pretty good road.

The issue may be getting traction with road slicks on some of the steep sections. Completely doable with CX tires.
From Punta Del Este to Hacienda there are some short rocky sections and the ruts get much worse. That section was built to construct the new power line, so it get's hardly any traffic. The road to the the Repeater station and down to Powder canyon gets maintained.

Powder Canyon Trail from Fullerton road to Schabarum park and Colima is completely doable on road tires. Just watch out for one stream crossing with about 20' of loose crushed rock.

YMMV one good rainstorm changes everything.

Last edited by TGT1; 01-25-21 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-25-21, 08:38 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by stuff shredman
Santa Monica Mountains in Malibu
Up Latigo, Down Decker, Up Mulholland, Down Latigo
56 mi
7,400 ft climb

Kate Courtney (2019 World UCI Mtn Bike Champ) gave me a shoutout as we passed by each other.
I was wearing my Stanford kit (she's an alum, too). That was pretty cool! and I'm a total fanboy

Got a PR on the Latigo climb. Been able to drop my time by 10% since October, so I'm happy about that
nice ride. how clear were the roads with the winds/rain? not too much mud/debris/branches?
Old 01-25-21, 09:01 PM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Mullholland climb was totally clean. Latigo had a few spots where some good sized rocks had fallen, but the chunks were gone by the time I descended. And, Encinal climb from Mulholland split to Decker had a bit of stuff on the shoulder forcing you to ride mid-lane in spots. That was the only part I felt a little uncomfortable, but all in all roads were really clean!
Likes For stuff shredman:
Old 01-25-21, 09:08 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by stuff shredman
Mullholland climb was totally clean. Latigo had a few spots where some good sized rocks had fallen, but the chunks were gone by the time I descended. And, Encinal climb from Mulholland split to Decker had a bit of stuff on the shoulder forcing you to ride mid-lane in spots. That was the only part I felt a little uncomfortable, but all in all roads were really clean!
thanks for the intel! contemplating the early wake-up for a sammos ride tomorrow.
Old 01-26-21, 12:01 PM
social suicide

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Likes For social suicide:
Old 01-26-21, 04:20 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by social suicide
always nice. a little windy out there today?
Old 01-26-21, 04:23 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Short 13 mile loop around Agoura/Westlake this morning. Was freeeeezing! Temps mostly in the 40's for the bulk of the ride. Rain coming in the next few days will mean trainer miles, I guess.
Plus the canyons we ride in the Santa Monicas will be a mess afterwards so will be avoiding them until late next week.
Old 01-26-21, 10:50 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

47-miler in the puente hills. wanted to do the sammos but too windy out there today. puente hills coolish but not cold and low winds today.
sw side ascent of turnbull canyon, some colima, hacienda and harbor/fullerton action (harbor not recommended in the area with fast/aggro traffic)
along with west dr, east skyline dr and two dirty miles of the schabarum/skyline trail for giggles (on the conti gp5000 '23's). great clear views today
of pv/catalina and the baldy/higher region of the san gabes. roads pretty good pavement (an 8/8.5 overall) and a noticeable lack of
dirt/mud/branches from the winds/rain yday,

https://www.strava.com/activities/4687066695

Last edited by diphthong; 01-26-21 at 10:56 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-27-21, 12:43 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
At the bottom of Turnbull Cyn on the Hacienda Heights side, make a right onto Valleceto Dr and a left on Camino Del Sur to connect with Colima Rd to take you back to Whittier and in the linky a route I take to connect with West-East Rd in La Habra Hgts. Vallecito and Camino Del Sur are freshly paved and bike lanes have been or will be added.

If you love climbing, you can also tackle Belle River Rd by keeping straight on Vallecito until it turns left onto Belle River.

Colima Rd is notorious for flats so watch for the usual glass and debris when descending to Mar Vista where you will make a left at a signal. Traffic will be going 60-70 mph so give yourself more space than normal to make the left.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/34962289
i was wondering why belle river sounded familiar today...ugh. had to roll thru this thread to remind myself. road is a dead ringer for silver arrow rd on the palos verdes peninsula.
was having (bad) flashbacks. think belle river is a little longer but the grade, curve of the street and houses age/construction/spacing seems identical.

colima was okay today but harbor/fullerton (busy fast part) was a lot worse today than the last two times i've ridden it.
Old 01-27-21, 07:47 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
i was wondering why belle river sounded familiar today...ugh. had to roll thru this thread to remind myself. road is a dead ringer for silver arrow rd on the palos verdes peninsula.
was having (bad) flashbacks. think belle river is a little longer but the grade, curve of the street and houses age/construction/spacing seems identical.

colima was okay today but harbor/fullerton (busy fast part) was a lot worse today than the last two times i've ridden it.

There are two bypasses to use to avoid the flat and heavy traffic of Colima and Fullerton Rd that offer a little more climbing and enjoyment.

First, if you have a gravel, cross, MTB or wide tires with urban or soft dirt treads, ride through Schabarum Park entering off of Colima Rd one block east of Azusa. You will be dropped off onto Old Fullerton Rd in La Habra Heights.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35088491

Second, if you continue on Colima Rd and make a right on Albatross and a second right onto Salerosa Dr go over the hill and make a left onto Sunrise, then descend down onto Fullerton Rd and make a right to take you back to Old Fullerton Rd by making another right after the Pathfinder/Fullerton Rd T-intersection. I will also use the sidewalk in this section on weekdays if traffic is heavy/fast on Fullerton Rd because of wide truck traffic not giving 3 feet of space and being squeezed.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35088507
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-27-21, 12:25 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
47-miler in the puente hills. wanted to do the sammos but too windy out there today. puente hills coolish but not cold and low winds today.
sw side ascent of turnbull canyon, some colima, hacienda and harbor/fullerton action (harbor not recommended in the area with fast/aggro traffic)
along with west dr, east skyline dr and two dirty miles of the schabarum/skyline trail for giggles (on the conti gp5000 '23's). great clear views today
of pv/catalina and the baldy/higher region of the san gabes. roads pretty good pavement (an 8/8.5 overall) and a noticeable lack of
dirt/mud/branches from the winds/rain yday,

https://www.strava.com/activities/4687066695
Ah probably my favorite J Geils song. Since you're driving in may I suggest parking at the Brea Sports Park on the N side of Birch St. just W of Valencia. From there take Birch W to St. College N. You can continue up Brea Cyn Rd or continue E (now Central) to Puente up to Whittier Blvd. then to wherever you're headed in the hills. If you feel like riding Carbon Cyn Road it's the next street N of Birch- Lambert Rd. becomes CCR at Valencia.
West
Likes For 2seven0:
Old 01-27-21, 06:11 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Rare Weds ride for me before the storm. Stayed in the local Whittier-Puente Hills.
Short but no too sweet. 27 miles and 3500 ft climbed.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35090775
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-27-21, 06:31 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
Last night: My garage
Tomorrow night: My garage

I hope to get out on the road for 40-50 miles on Saturday, and my typical 40 mile "coffee ride" group on Sunday, but my daughter's travel softball team is getting active again. Softball schedule trumps my riding plans every time.
Old 01-30-21, 05:22 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Rose Bowl - Hansen Dam - Rose Bowl (36.5 miles). Next time, I would probably opt for adding the climb up La Tuna Canyon (from Glenoaks) on the way back. In the interest of time, we opted for a flatter return route on Foothill Blvd, dropping down into Montrose. A spectacularly beautiful day for a bike ride, even if it was a little cooler than I prefer.
Old 01-30-21, 06:05 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
20 mile round trip up the SGRT. Finally getting some miles in. I got 242 miles logged so far this month which I'm very thankful for.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 01-30-21, 10:12 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
...I don't play indoor stuff.
On weekdays (with rare exception), I either ride my trainer or I don't ride. Such are the demands of being a family guy and a business owner. The Zwift app has made trainer sessions tolerable, and very productive.
Old 01-30-21, 10:32 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

80-miler starting/finishing at elysian park by dodger stadium. low 40's at the start. rambled through echo park and silver lake areas before
slow climbing up to the griffith observatory. met up with bike forums contributor Tycho Brahe in hollywood and went down h-wood blvd before
climbing nichols canyon. left onto mully and took that across the 405, then dropped down into the valley and righted/lefted until we got to
topanga cyn rd/ca hwy 27. up that then right onto mully act ii. over to stunt and climbed that slowly. saddle peak rollers to tuna canyon and
descended that to pch. pch to chautauqua/entrada and that up to san vicente blvd. flogged that horse until making a right on santa monica
blvd (mostly) and sunset back to the start.

mully and saddle peak views of the snowcapped sierra madres, san gabes and san berdoos were spectacular. absolute ton of cyclists out today.

last mile of tuna canyon needs a repave. rest of that descent was perfect altho tendons in the hands/forearms would disrespectfully disagree.
mully from nichols canyon i-section > 405 pavement better than last time i rode it 3 years ago but the occasional divot/chunk missing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4708169153/overview

Last edited by diphthong; 01-30-21 at 10:45 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 01-31-21, 09:15 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Funny, raised 4 kids then had 9 grandkids. I have a friend that always asked why I didn't ride more. I said I had 9 grandkids, birthday parties just about every month, baseball games, recitals etc. She laughed at my explanation though I was doing 300 per month. Then she had 1, ONE, A SINGLE, grandchild and hasn't touched her bike but twice in 3 months.

Fortunately all our kids are in their 30's now so I have no baby sitting duties anymore.
I hung up my bike in '04, after my youngest daughter was born. I had been racing for about a dozen years, and was kind of burned out. Besides, continuing to ride at that level was not compatible with being the kind of dad I wanted to be. I got into playing music for a while, and had fun with some local bands, but put that on the back burner when my daughter started playing travel softball. In Dec '19, things started working out where I had more time available to do my own things, and I made the decision to get back on my bike. After being away from it for 15 years, it felt really good to get rolling again. I dropped 40 lbs in the first 6 months, and have been enjoying a return to being a reasonably-fit cyclist again. I'll never get my previous level of fitness, and that's okay. My goals are different this time - more fun, less suffering. My daughter - now 16yo - is still playing travel ball (and on a path towards playing in college), but I'm finding windows of time to get on my bike.
Old 02-01-21, 10:58 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
went down h-wood blvd before
climbing nichols canyon. left onto mully and took that across the 405,
last mile of tuna canyon needs a repave. rest of that descent was perfect altho tendons in the hands/forearms would disrespectfully disagree.
mully from nichols canyon i-section > 405 pavement better than last time i rode it 3 years ago but the occasional divot/chunk missing.
Technically, after the "easy" part of Nichols, we went on Woodrow Wilson (which runs parallel to Mulholland) and then merged into Mulholland. We skipped the Nichols wall and the bad part of Mulholland (just in select spots). There used to be a really bad patch of road in between Laurel Canyon and Franklin Canyon, but they paved it 2-3 years ago.

I feel silly now not biking more since I have no friends or family. I switch up on for my one weekend ride, but work keeps me local during the week, and as much as I love Griffith Park, can only do it 2-3 times a week.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 02-01-21, 08:24 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

63 miles down to bonita, eastern chula vista, proctor valley rd (w/4 miles of dirt) into jamul, descending into rancho san diego,
up into la mesa and back to metro san diego. mixed along dirty proctor valley rd...was the most rutted i've ever seen it but i didn't have to
dismount/walk at any point (half the time i do somewhere once or twice or thrice) while riding '23's. big raindrops here and
there and deployed rain jacket but ended up not needing it fortunately.

Last edited by diphthong; 02-02-21 at 02:44 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 02-05-21, 10:22 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Nothing to brag about, 18 miles up the SGRT and today I'm meeting with a couple of friends and we'll ride to the Queen Mary. That usually ends up being about 24 miles. It's all flat, just how I like it. Also, riding together with these 2 old friends is really enjoyable and something I look forward to. I'm shooting for a 300 mile month and if the weather stays nice is should be more than doable. Since I usually don't ride when it's cold, this will really add to my yearly total.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 02-05-21, 12:56 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
EZ 10 mile lunch ride at lake hodges

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:
Old 02-05-21, 01:04 PM
milesglink

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=ooga-booga;still waiting for spring here in socal...[/QUOTE]
Aren’t we all
Old 02-05-21, 02:13 PM
CAT7RDR

After a bad crash, I'd say you are doing remarkably well and can take stock in that alone. No small accomplishment.

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Nothing to brag about, 18 miles up the SGRT and today I'm meeting with a couple of friends and we'll ride to the Queen Mary. That usually ends up being about 24 miles. It's all flat, just how I like it. Also, riding together with these 2 old friends is really enjoyable and something I look forward to. I'm shooting for a 300 mile month and if the weather stays nice is should be more than doable. Since I usually don't ride when it's cold, this will really add to my yearly total.
Old 02-05-21, 04:30 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
MTB lunch ride at Daley ranch/Escondido, 2 up, 2 down, mostly single tracks. No warm up to the switch back climb from the parking lot

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Likes For jsigone:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.