Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Clean rags and towels

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Clean rags and towels

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-21, 01:49 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
No so you can wipe it off. if it absorbed it it would seep to your skin.

Are you saying that you want to wipe the grease off of the rags?

Oh, I think I get it- you were talking about clothes that repel oil & grease.
Old 01-29-21, 02:08 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I suppose everyone who washes greasy rags in the clothes washer is single. Or is soon to be.
Old 01-29-21, 08:56 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
I use microfiber rags from the cleaning closet and toss them. Once the supply gets low, the housekeeper leaves a note she needs more and my wife picks them up wherever. It's been a great system so far.

Old 01-29-21, 09:16 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
I buy terry cloth washcloths from the cheap stores. They cost about a quarter apiece and are not worth trying to reuse, the War Department has figured out how to use them as well, so it seems to be a win-win so far. I use the white ones only because I want to see any dirt that I clean out a part, and know that I get all of the dirt out when cleaning bearings etc.. I bought shop rags from a local service for about three years and when the cost went above fifty cents per rag, I looked for a different source. The terry washcloths became the default source. Cheap and easy to dispose of and I don't have any remorse when tossing them out. Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 01-30-21 at 06:24 PM.
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 01-29-21, 09:38 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I buy terry cloth washcloths from the cheap stores. They cost about a quarter apiece and are not worth trying to reuse, the War Department has figured out how to use them as well, so it seems to be a win-win so far. I use the white ones only because I want to see any dirt that I clean out a part, and know that I get all of the dirt out when cleaning bearings etc.. I bought shop rags from a local service for about three years and when the cost went above fifty cents per rag, I looked for a different source. The terry washcloths became the default source. Cheap and easy to dispose of and I don't have any remorse hen tossing them out. Smiles, MH
That's sort of what I do. Terry cloth washcloths from Amazon. I find packs of 50 or 100 and get as cheap as possible.
Old 01-29-21, 09:42 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
My town doesn’t have sewers...we’re all on individual septic systems. So, I always consider what I’m putting into the septic tank...the amount of grease being rinsed out, down the drain, and into the tank. Grease and other chemicals are bad for the system and leach field. So...I usually just throw them away.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 01-29-21, 11:14 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
i do not know about your town but in my town everybody leaves tons of stuff out on the curb for scavengers like me.

a lot of it is used clothing. especially t shirts. linens. jeans.

a smorgasboard of rags for every occasion.
Old 01-30-21, 11:03 AM
SurferRosa
seņor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
My mom always washes my dirty rags.
And if she won't do it, I force dad, whether he's sleeping or not.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-01-21, 12:45 PM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Peruano
First you put the dirty rags in the garbage and then get the old even T-shirts from your closet and use them as rags. For wiping chains I use the blue (industrial strength) paper towels for the dirtiest part.

This. Or go buy a bunch of rags on ebay. Old sheets are perfect. I never wash rags, too much of the grease ends up in the washing machine.
Likes For afm199:
Old 02-01-21, 12:47 PM
steve21108

Bikes: Dunelt 3 Spd (hub date 1964); 2 Raleigh (early 70s) Grand Prix converted to SA AW; 76 Raleigh Rampar converted to SA AW; Raleigh Super Course fixed; Raysport; 2003 Trek XO1; Jamis Aurora; Jamis Expat; Bianchi Posts (S3X); 1985 Ross Mt Hood; Univega;

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Seb1987
I've been removing old grease from my bike with a bunch of rags/towels but now they are very filthy with old grease. I've been putting them in the washing machine, 3 times so far, and that does the trick.
But now I'm asking myself if I am destroying my washing machine. So how do you clean your old greased rags and towels? I would rather reuse than buy new ones consistently.
One shop I worked in was in a small town, and would do extensive teardowns using carb cleaner for overhauls. Commercial laundry rags were expensive. We used red rags, and would wash them twice in hot water in a Speed Queen at a local laundromat. First load was not a full load setting, and we used some strong detergent for rags. Second load was full fill setting, hot water, and did not foul the washer. I washed my clothes after. No goop on my clothes.

Helped to have lots to read, sandwich and a 20 oz Coke. Lot of time, but was way cheaper than a laundry service. Starting early in the AM also helped. Lots of hot water.
Old 02-01-21, 12:52 PM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by steve21108
One shop I worked in was in a small town, and would do extensive teardowns using carb cleaner for overhauls. Commercial laundry rags were expensive. We used red rags, and would wash them twice in hot water in a Speed Queen at a local laundromat. First load was not a full load setting, and we used some strong detergent for rags. Second load was full fill setting, hot water, and did not foul the washer. I washed my clothes after. No goop on my clothes.

Helped to have lots to read, sandwich and a 20 oz Coke. Lot of time, but was way cheaper than a laundry service. Starting early in the AM also helped. Lots of hot water.

Gross. The red rags can bleed dye as well. I accidentally turned several pairs of work pants pink.
Old 02-01-21, 01:25 PM
PdlPeet

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've been removing old grease from my bike with a bunch of rags/towels but now they are very filthy with old grease. I've been putting them in the washing machine, 3 times so far, and that does the trick.
But now I'm asking myself if I am destroying my washing machine. So how do you clean your old greased rags and towels? I would rather reuse than buy new ones consistently.

PS: I would ask this in a washing machine forum but that doesn't exist I think
Old bike shop practice -- collect the dirty shop rags until you have enough, then soak them in a bucket of water
with a healthy dose of Dawn dish detergent for 3 or 4 days. Then rinse them and throw them into the washer
on a hot setting.
Old 02-01-21, 02:07 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Yes, you’re destroying your washer. Even worse, if you put them in the dryer you can burn your house down.
Old 02-01-21, 02:43 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
I've been kicked out of laundromats back in the day for doing stuff like that.
Old 02-01-21, 02:54 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
they are rags. dump them
Old 02-01-21, 02:55 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
do you use q tips and then try to clean them?
Old 02-01-21, 03:18 PM
The MuffinMan

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PdlPeet
Old bike shop practice -- collect the dirty shop rags until you have enough, then soak them in a bucket of water
with a healthy dose of Dawn dish detergent for 3 or 4 days. Then rinse them and throw them into the washer
on a hot setting.
This is what I do too, but I also add about 2 cups of bleach to the bucket with the lots of Dawn liquid soap. Stir the rags and agitate them each day to help the grease out of the rags. After 4 days I take the pile of wet rags to the laundry mat and through them in the washing machine with double rinse hot setting. Add more bleach and this time granulated detergent soap (Tide) to the load. They come out a lot cleaner as compared to almost completely black at the beginning. Then throw them in a dryer and you're done for at least 6 more months.
Old 02-01-21, 03:25 PM
woodcraft

Originally Posted by The MuffinMan
This is what I do too, but I also add about 2 cups of bleach to the bucket with the lots of Dawn liquid soap. Stir the rags and agitate them each day to help the grease out of the rags. After 4 days I take the pile of wet rags to the laundry mat and through them in the washing machine with double rinse hot setting. Add more bleach and this time granulated detergent soap (Tide) to the load. They come out a lot cleaner as compared to almost completely black at the beginning. Then throw them in a dryer and you're done for at least 6 more months.

What do you say to the women next to you at the laundry mat washing their underwear?
Old 02-01-21, 03:31 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by crowbike
An oily rag makes a great fire starter in the outdoor fire pit.
That's what I do too - 1st life as a sheet or T-shirt, 2nd as a shop rag, 3rd as a fire starter.
Old 02-01-21, 03:36 PM
The MuffinMan

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
What do you say to the women next to you at the laundry mat washing their underwear?
nothing. A public laundry mat is a public laundry mat.
Old 02-01-21, 04:17 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

PS: I would ask this in a washing machine forum but that doesn't exist I think
i just toss and use fresher rags...old clothes work, cheap bag of walmart rags.
​​​​i wash my micro fiber rags but i tend to avoid using on greasey stuff
Old 02-01-21, 04:50 PM
PdlPeet

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The MuffinMan
Wow, most impressive! Especially the laundromat step. I am unworthy.

NB: Dawn has long been considered the best grease-cutting dish detergent. Not just for bike stuff, but most household
greasy cleaning. <I have no financial interest in . . . >
Old 02-01-21, 07:30 PM
run50

Bikes: Seven Elium SLX, Spot Mountain bike, Co-Motion Pangea touring bike,Trek 5500, Argon gravel bike,

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I used to take my old dirty bike rags down to the local laundromat (as I didn't want to put them in
my washing machine) and would put heavy duty soap as well as bleach in the wash cycle. They
would get somewhat clean. Now, I just toss the rags in the trash as I get free surgery towels that
can't be used but must be trashed (can't be sterlized again). They're great...
Old 02-01-21, 07:52 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by run50
I used to take my old dirty bike rags down to the local laundromat (as I didn't want to put them in
my washing machine)
I'm sure the owner appreciated the business as much as the next person that did a white wash afterwards.
Old 02-01-21, 08:58 PM
The MuffinMan

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Ya, it's one of those moral dilemmas in life. Kinda like should one travel during the holidays when there's a pandemic going on (which I don't). People spew their carbon monoxide into the air driving while I'm riding in the bike lane and breathing it in. The list goes on. People pollute. Should the rags go in the trash and to the landfill or should they be washed and reused. I always try to get them as degreased as possible as described before bringing them to the local laundromat. The stainless steel industrial strength washing machines the owner has there should leave minimal residue I'd imagine. At $4.75 a load I figure I have paid for the right to put my shop rags (pre-cleaned) in the his machine rather than our household one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.