Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Jones ebike

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Jones ebike

Old 02-20-21, 06:24 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Jones ebike

Jones, the Oregon based bike company has announced an ebike.
So far it is just a frame similar to their LWB frame, built sturdier than standard and with chainstay clearance for a mid drive motor.
They said they will be offering complete bikes with a choice of motors and batteries soon, but right now information is rather sparse.

https://www.jonesmotorbikes.com/2021...ike-and-ebike/
Old 02-20-21, 09:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
It looks like a their regular bikes with a kit slapped on. With the easy ability to use Bosch and Shimano and the reliability of those units it is odd that Jonesy decided to use kits? There are a bunch of custom builders working with Bosch and Shimano and plenty of folks in Taiwan also doing the same if you needed more mass production.

Hopefully he expands to more quality options as he makes some neat bikes and parts (though his bars have too much sweep for my taste) I certainly would love to see more quality steel and ti e-bikes of quality on the market.
Old 02-21-21, 12:15 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Originally Posted by veganbikes
It looks like a their regular bikes with a kit slapped on. With the easy ability to use Bosch and Shimano and the reliability of those units it is odd that Jonesy decided to use kits? There are a bunch of custom builders working with Bosch and Shimano and plenty of folks in Taiwan also doing the same if you needed more mass production.

Hopefully he expands to more quality options as he makes some neat bikes and parts (though his bars have too much sweep for my taste) I certainly would love to see more quality steel and ti e-bikes of quality on the market.
Yeah it is a bit of a weird approach.
I have a Jones Plus LWB and it is a great bike. An electric version would be fantastic.
I'm not going to rush out and order one, although I suspect it would be fairly easy to do the conversion myself.
Like you I hope Jones does a more complete collaboration with somebody and comes out with a more integrated ebike.

The guy is an innovator and a character, I visited him in his shop in Oregon and it was quite fun to talk to him in person.
Likes For skookum:
Old 02-21-21, 07:51 PM
pakeboi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
skookum , do you tour on your Jones Plus LWB ?
Old 02-21-21, 10:02 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Originally Posted by pakeboi
skookum , do you tour on your Jones Plus LWB ?
Yes, I do. I used it on the southern third of the GDMBR from Hartsel Colorado to Antelope Wells New Mexico, on the Mexican border.
It is a great touring bike, except in headwinds.

I love the idea of an electric Jones LWB, but I dont think it would work on the divide.

photos here, but not any really good ones of my set up.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4gErRaxQutbvVLYs8
Old 02-22-21, 09:19 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts

Bafang is just fine. its no less quality than any other brand.
Old 02-22-21, 10:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by sloppy12
It is a fine kit motor but not the same quality and support as say Bosch or Shimano. I probably couldn't go into many shops that aren't really selling e-bikes and get work done on a Bafang but Bosch and Shimano super easy as most shops deal with Shimano and have a QBP account.

They are certainly top of the heap (or close) for kit motors but I would not want an e-bike designed around a bolt on kit. One of their actual proper mid drive motors (not the bolt into the bottom bracket ones) maybe if the price was really low. If you are building an e-bike to be an e-bike you should build it around the motor not just take what you already made and slap a motor on it.

I guess on the hub drive side they are certainly nostalgic as they still make a ton of them. They even make a motor built into a mag wheel for extra 80s BMX points that you find by a WalMart dumpster in the 2000s and realize they were on a Mongoose they had to throw away.
Old 02-22-21, 11:01 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
There is a big difference between Bafang and the others, mainly if you ever need parts, you can get them for a BBS02 or BBSHD because they haven't changed anything in at least five years. My friend and I ride off road together, he on his Felt with a Bosch motor, then a Bulls with a Brose motor (he's been waiting a year to procure a new PAS module since the original one is faulty) while I've been riding my DIY bike which, while it's more powerful, is similarly more reliable. He's looking for a new bike and looks like he's learned his lesson since the first choice is one with a Bafang Ultra motor.
Likes For 2old:
Old 02-23-21, 03:32 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
A Jones bike would be killer with a Bafang ultra motor on it. Other than weight the ultra is probably the best ebike motor on the market.

I prefer the bolt on kit to one integrated in the frame. Makes it easier to upgrade, swap to a different unit or even restore the stock bike. Once I got things torqued down correctly I've had absolutely zero problems with my install.
Old 02-23-21, 08:32 AM
sloppy12

It is a fine kit motor but not the same quality and support as say Bosch or Shimano. I probably couldn't go into many shops that aren't really selling e-bikes and get work done on a Bafang but Bosch and Shimano super easy as most shops deal with Shimano and have a QBP account.

They are certainly top of the heap (or close) for kit motors but I would not want an e-bike designed around a bolt on kit. One of their actual proper mid drive motors (not the bolt into the bottom bracket ones) maybe if the price was really low. If you are building an e-bike to be an e-bike you should build it around the motor not just take what you already made and slap a motor on it.

I guess on the hub drive side they are certainly nostalgic as they still make a ton of them. They even make a motor built into a mag wheel for extra 80s BMX points that you find by a WalMart dumpster in the 2000s and realize they were on a Mongoose they had to throw away.
Bosch and shimano don't have the best support systems in place. Bafang parts are pretty much always available and they haven't changed or became obsolete. this bike sure looks to be getting built around a motor, modified chain stays, heavier tubing. Personally I would rather stick with the bottom bracket style of a motor that way if something does fail I would be totally out of a bike until a new drive came in.

I think this discussion really comes down to guys that can build their own bike and see this and its solid option for that. and the people that buy and have serviced.

Im not sure what hub motors have to do with this but Yes bafang makes hub motors to. so does bosch. Hub motors have their place...
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 02-23-21, 07:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bosch and shimano don't have the best support systems in place. Bafang parts are pretty much always available and they haven't changed or became obsolete. this bike sure looks to be getting built around a motor, modified chain stays, heavier tubing. Personally I would rather stick with the bottom bracket style of a motor that way if something does fail I would be totally out of a bike until a new drive came in.

I think this discussion really comes down to guys that can build their own bike and see this and its solid option for that. and the people that buy and have serviced.

Im not sure what hub motors have to do with this but Yes bafang makes hub motors to. so does bosch. Hub motors have their place...
The problem with the bolt on bottom bracket type ones is they can crack your bottom bracket which I have seen a few times. As someone who does warranty work and deals in a lot of e-bikes, I can say Bosch and Shimano have excellent support and Bosch in particular hasn't had parts out of stock (aside from the pandemic or just selling out of something and not getting restocked that second which happens everywhere) or really changed anything so significantly old stuff isn't supported. The only thing they really don't support in the U.S. is the Classic motor and that is mainly due to the fact it was never sold in the U.S. but they can still try to help with it. Shimano I haven't had any obsolesce problems with either and their warranty support is really easy.

Bafang is a fine kit motor and yes they haven't changed some designs for a while but that isn't always a good thing nor is it always a bad thing either. However I know we had a lot of issues for a while when we did kit installs and now their are still some issues but a lot less then the kits and certainly fewer frame issues. Zero with Bosch and Shimano and a few on some of a certain brands Brose bikes but they fixed that problem and a lot of the people riding them are heavy use cases (but have all been covered under warranty)

What hub motors does Bosch make? I have never seen or heard of one. To quote Bosch from their website "The eBike market has changed a lot in the last decade, when hub motors used to dominate the industry and Bosch was one of the only suppliers to offer a mid-drive." Bosch does certainly make a lot of different motors (including some in their really excellent power tools) but a hub drive I don't believe exists.

Mahle another German company does mostly hub drives have has built a really nice light mid-drive that Specialized is using. Quite possible you are confusing the two brands as they are both from Germany.
Old 02-23-21, 07:40 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
My LBS has had a bike with the new Shimano motor for about three months (they didn't sell the bike but are assisting with the warranty). Shimano said they should have parts to repair the motor in May.
Likes For 2old:
Old 02-25-21, 08:25 AM
sloppy12

The problem with the bolt on bottom bracket type ones is they can crack your bottom bracket which I have seen a few times. As someone who does warranty work and deals in a lot of e-bikes, I can say Bosch and Shimano have excellent support and Bosch in particular hasn't had parts out of stock (aside from the pandemic or just selling out of something and not getting restocked that second which happens everywhere) or really changed anything so significantly old stuff isn't supported. The only thing they really don't support in the U.S. is the Classic motor and that is mainly due to the fact it was never sold in the U.S. but they can still try to help with it. Shimano I haven't had any obsolesce problems with either and their warranty support is really easy.

Bafang is a fine kit motor and yes they haven't changed some designs for a while but that isn't always a good thing nor is it always a bad thing either. However I know we had a lot of issues for a while when we did kit installs and now their are still some issues but a lot less then the kits and certainly fewer frame issues. Zero with Bosch and Shimano and a few on some of a certain brands Brose bikes but they fixed that problem and a lot of the people riding them are heavy use cases (but have all been covered under warranty)

What hub motors does Bosch make? I have never seen or heard of one. To quote Bosch from their website "The eBike market has changed a lot in the last decade, when hub motors used to dominate the industry and Bosch was one of the only suppliers to offer a mid-drive." Bosch does certainly make a lot of different motors (including some in their really excellent power tools) but a hub drive I don't believe exists.

Mahle another German company does mostly hub drives have has built a really nice light mid-drive that Specialized is using. Quite possible you are confusing the two brands as they are both from Germany.
were the broken bottom brackets on bikes that were built for a bottom bracket style mid drive? I have seen broken bottom brackets on bikes from peddle power. Jeff clearly is designing this bike with that drive system in mind he is not really known for making skimpy bikes. His bottom brackets will probably hold up as well as any bottom bracket.

Bosch still offers OEM hub drives. but its "scooters" I seem to remember at one point they had a city bike system with a hub drive. I could be wrong on that it could have been some other brand as you say.
Old 02-25-21, 12:15 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Bafang is fine. The integration here is garbage. If you look closely at a Bafang motor mount, there's an extra screw hole, so you can bolt the motor to the frame. Jones didn't even bother to include that, and it would be trivial on a steel frame. The screw hole takes the place of the torque arm and allows the motor to stay in place. Jones is literally just bolting a Bafang kit to a stock frame.
A proper ebike MUST manage the motor reaction torque, this doesn't.
It probably works alright because it's a steel frame. It would fail almost instantly on an Al or carbon frame.
Likes For gsa103:
Old 02-25-21, 01:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

were the broken bottom brackets on bikes that were built for a bottom bracket style mid drive? I have seen broken bottom brackets on bikes from peddle power. Jeff clearly is designing this bike with that drive system in mind he is not really known for making skimpy bikes. His bottom brackets will probably hold up as well as any bottom bracket.

Bosch still offers OEM hub drives. but its "scooters" I seem to remember at one point they had a city bike system with a hub drive. I could be wrong on that it could have been some other brand as you say.
That is the point of the kits is to bolt them onto anything. No regular bicycle is designed for a kit motor to be put on it but the bikes in question where not lightweight skimpy bikes they were mid range mountain bikes a steel fat bike and some other stuff. The bike looks quite similar to what he is already making. Maybe there is a little enhancement but I would rather have a properly integrated system not just a heavier frame.

I am still not seeing hub drives on bicycles? Scooter sure but it looks like a much different system to a spoked bicycle wheel. I don't know that Bosch has done anything but mid-drives on bicycles, I can certainly ask them next time I chat with them but I feel like I would have seen it or heard of it by now with all the Bosch presentations and new and old bikes I have seen and people I have been around.