Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Do I need to renew the sealing (in a TL tire)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-04-21, 09:04 PM
dvai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Got tubeless wheels/tires a year ago. The bike has been in storage but with the season around the corner, I wonder if I really need to "exchange" the tire fluid/sealant in my tires. Does it really only last a few months?
Old 04-04-21, 09:18 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
This is a very good time to top it off. 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-04-21, 09:31 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Yep the longest ones tend to last 3-4 months
Old 04-05-21, 04:20 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
You need to at least check it. I'd recommend a sealant syringe, available on Amazon and elsewhere for 10-12 bucks, so that you can remove, check, and replace the sealant that's in your tires without removing them from the wheels. Be aware that not all valve stems will pass the plastic syringe tube all of the way through, so you might need to get new valves, too.

As far as how long sealant will last... as always, it depends.

You need to consider both evaporation and depletion. Evaporation is pretty self-explanatory - it'll dry out over time. As far as depletion, some of the sealant gets used every time it seals a puncture, but the "problem" is that many tubeless punctures can go completely unnoticed. Basically, the worse your riding conditions, in terms of flat potential, and the more mileage you log, the more frequently you should check and top-off your sealant. In the summer, when I'm at ~1k miles per month, I'll check it every month. Late spring and early fall, maybe every 6-8 weeks, depending upon how much grit and debris is on the roads.

In the future, I would drain the sealant before putting it in storage for extended periods - I'd rather the sealant not pool and dry out in one spot in the tire.
Old 04-05-21, 04:52 AM
dvai

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks all!
I really appreciate your insight

So if I just add new sealant through the valve (removing the core) I don't need a "high pressure" tire inflator. Correct?
Old 04-05-21, 04:56 AM
dvai

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
By the way. The tires were set up by the shot when I got the bike.

At some point, I was riding and see a pink spot on my tire that a few yards later ends up all over the frame. I thought was chewing gum and was so pissed.

I could not identify any puncture on the tire (not even now).

Could have been a puncture that sealed? Maybe so small I could not tell?
Old 04-05-21, 05:03 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by dvai
Thanks all!
I really appreciate your insight

So if I just add new sealant through the valve (removing the core) I don't need a "high pressure" tire inflator. Correct?
You probably won't need one. Most tires will stay locked on to the rims when deflated, in which case you will not need to reseat them.
Old 04-05-21, 05:04 AM
WhyFi

Could have been a puncture that sealed? Maybe so small I could not tell?
Most likely.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-05-21, 07:52 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Similar topic - is it normal for tubeless tires to lose air much more rapidly than tubed tires? I've had this same problem with two different sets of tires now. Tires (33mm Vittoria Terreno Mix with Orange Seal) are pumped up to around 40-50psi, then losing about half their psi over 24-36hrs and are completely flat after a week of sitting.

New tape, and the sealant is also new (2 weeks ago), but I'm wondering if I need to add a little more? Maybe my valve stems are not on tight enough causing slow leaks? Or is this just normal for tubeless?

The air loss seems pretty equal front/rear.
Old 04-05-21, 08:04 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Similar topic - is it normal for tubeless tires to lose air much more rapidly than tubed tires? I've had this same problem with two different sets of tires now. Tires (33mm Vittoria Terreno Mix with Orange Seal) are pumped up to around 40-50psi, then losing about half their psi over 24-36hrs and are completely flat after a week of sitting.

New tape, and the sealant is also new (2 weeks ago), but I'm wondering if I need to add a little more? Maybe my valve stems are not on tight enough causing slow leaks? Or is this just normal for tubeless?

As noted upthread, the answer is that it depends. It depends on tire construction type, weather conditions, sealant composition, how the tire and sealant were set up, and weather the tire has been punctured.

In general, though, I’d say air loss rate is slightly higher than butyl tubes. Any tubeless tire properly set up should hold decent pressure for many weeks, maybe months. Actual riding pressure, or very close to it, should hold a week pretty easily in my experience, but it depends. Probably in hot, dry conditions pressure holds better than in the cold.

Be sure to use enough sealant, for unlined tires, to thoroughly coat the casing, and rotate the tires to achieve that. I do a couple of applications a day apart before I’m satisfied the tire is perfectly set up. I use the recommended amount the first time to coat and seal the casing, then check how much liquid is left in the morning before adding a bit for emergency sealing duty. I have Rene Herse rubber which totally sucked up 2 shots of sealant in two days before holding liquid. Crazy.

Last edited by chaadster; 04-05-21 at 08:10 AM.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-05-21, 05:21 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by msu2001la

Yeah, it depends. I generally run tires with lighter casings and they generally lose air slightly faster than tubes. My current Michelin Power Roads hold air really well, though.
Old 04-05-21, 06:08 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
Got tubeless wheels/tires a year ago. The bike has been in storage but with the season around the corner, I wonder if I really need to "exchange" the tire fluid/sealant in my tires. Does it really only last a few months?
I was always told to verify the amount of sealant every once in a while and replace it completely after a few months. It will vary from a brand to another, but 6 months is the most I've seen when reading the instructions on the back label of the product.

Funny thing is that I did my girlfriend's tires (removed tires, cleaned, put fresh sealant and re-install tire) yesterday and even after 1 year of usage, there was still 2oz in there, and sealant hadn't turned bad. Color was OK, texture and smell as well. She didn't put much mileage last year, but still! She was using OEM giant sealant. I put Muc-Off this time and will see if it lasts as long.
Old 04-06-21, 10:20 AM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
I "top off" sealant every 3 months after setting a reminder on my calendar. Also, do a periodic check with a syringe.
Old 04-06-21, 10:45 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Be sure to shake the sealant very vigorously and often while preparing to inject into the tire. Particles settle relatively quickly in the container and you risk pouring all goop and few or no particles if you miss this critical step. Ask me how i know
Likes For SkepticalOne:
Old 04-06-21, 01:39 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
Be sure to shake the sealant very vigorously and often while preparing to inject into the tire. Particles settle relatively quickly in the container and you risk pouring all goop and few or no particles if you miss this critical step. Ask me how i know
My experience with Orange is the solids settle on the top. But yeah, it needs a good shake before adding to the tire.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 04-06-21, 01:44 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Absolutely. I took myself out of contention at a gravel race recently, got a puncture that wouldn't seal, put a plug in it and it still had a hard time holding pressure. It was only later that I realized that I hadn't checked the sealant in my tires since I mounted them six months ago, yup, not a drop in there. Won't make that mistake again.

But I am kinda proud of the fact that I solo'd the entire course and came back from dead last to 29th place out of over 200 people, and even took a KOM.