Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New help to decide on Hybrid/Fitness

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-21, 07:04 PM
wing2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello all,

As most of you know, due to covid and other factors... it is so hard to buy a bike these days with having the actual bike available for purchase in person. Regardless, I知 in the market of buying a hybrid fitness bike, I知 not hardcore at all and will be using it to cruise around my house and/or riding it in parks or pavement trails ... my budget is no more than $1200 and I have narrowed down the following 3 choices, will you all be kind enough to give a recommendation and pick your preference?

Apologies that I wanted to include the product links but since I知 am too new here, they wouldn稚 let me include links...

1. cannondale quick disc 5 remixte women $725 ( I love the look and color of this bike but it doesn稚 come with the carbon fork and hydraulic brake and I didn稚 like the current Quick 2 or 3痴 color)

2. trek FX 3 women $900 (comes with carbon fork and hydraulic brake)

3. Specialized Sirrus 3.0 $1000

will picking the cannondale quick 5 be sufficient as I知 just a leisure rider or go with the trek with carbon cork and better brake system but yes I love the Cannondale looks and model more lol!!!
Old 04-09-21, 07:54 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
I would say, the Trek or Specialized as they have better components. The question is, can you find them in stock? My LBS has several of the Trek's in stock, have not been by the Spec dealer lately

Last edited by jaxgtr; 04-09-21 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-09-21, 08:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I would say Sirrus 3.0 as I have sold that bike for years (with different name) and it has provided plenty of people with a good solid entry level hybrid.

Never really been a fan of Crackandfail aside from maybe their old school bikes especially the Track. Plus Tourney for 750, not a good deal at all at 500 maybe but above that and you are paying too much for Tourney. I know prices have gone up but Tourney isn't worth that kind of money no matter what the situation.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-09-21, 08:51 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would say Sirrus 3.0 as I have sold that bike for years (with different name) and it has provided plenty of people with a good solid entry level hybrid.

Never really been a fan of Crackandfail aside from maybe their old school bikes especially the Track. Plus Tourney for 750, not a good deal at all at 500 maybe but above that and you are paying too much for Tourney. I know prices have gone up but Tourney isn't worth that kind of money no matter what the situation.
One of my pet peeves. Tourney on a $700 plus bike is unforgiveable.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 04-10-21, 03:30 PM
wing2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

thank you for your comment... I probably will drop the Crackandfail Quick 5.... what do you think of the Canondale CX 2 with better components and front suspension? Do you prefer CX 2 or Trek FX 3? TIA!
Old 04-10-21, 03:32 PM
wing2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRT2

thank you for your comment... I probably will drop the Quick 5.... what do you think of the Cannondale CX 2 with better components and front suspension? Do you prefer CX 2 $1100 or Trek FX 3 $900? TIA! I知 trying to decide today or tomorrow 😉
Old 04-10-21, 04:47 PM
wing2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRT2
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
I would say, the Trek or Specialized as they have better components. The question is, can you find them in stock? My LBS has several of the Trek's in stock, have not been by the Spec dealer lately

Thanks! I tried out the Quick 5 and was able to instantly tell the huge riding exp. difference between this and FX 3.... I went with the FX3 in Rage Red... my LBS told me I probably got the last FX 3 in the PNW (seattle) 😉
Old 04-10-21, 06:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by wing2011
thank you for your comment... I probably will drop the Crackandfail Quick 5.... what do you think of the Canondale CX 2 with better components and front suspension? Do you prefer CX 2 or Trek FX 3? TIA!
A lot of extra weight for a short travel suspension. If I really need suspension I will want a mountain bike because I am mountain biking. I really don't want suspension on a regular hybrid unless hitting some really significant off road 90% of the time and really need that suspension vs. just getting a carbon fork and maybe an upgrade in components.

I don't want an extra thing to go wrong and a suspension fork is an easy thing to go wrong.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-10-21, 07:14 PM
wing2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A lot of extra weight for a short travel suspension. If I really need suspension I will want a mountain bike because I am mountain biking. I really don't want suspension on a regular hybrid unless hitting some really significant off road 90% of the time and really need that suspension vs. just getting a carbon fork and maybe an upgrade in components.

I don't want an extra thing to go wrong and a suspension fork is an easy thing to go wrong.
thank you so much! I went home with the Trek FX 3 and so happy with it! 😊
Likes For wing2011:
Old 04-10-21, 07:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Hope you enjoy it, then!
Old 04-10-21, 07:32 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts

Congrats. I just got my wife an FX 4 she really likes it.

Old 04-11-21, 09:23 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
That is a good bike, should give you many years of service. 2 x 9 drivetrain is pretty nice.