Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Yet Another Shocking Revelation

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-15-21, 09:19 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts

On this morning's ride I hooked up with a couple of other guys for a few miles along the coast. During the ride, the lead rider shouts "glass" and since it happened quickly, and nobody wanted to swerve out into traffic lands, we all rolled through it. The lead guy missed most of it, but me and the guy behind me hit is square. He flatted, I didn't. The revelation?

A Conti GP 4 Season with air is faster than a Conti GP 5000 without. No damage to my tires. Could be just dumb luck, too.

Likes For dmanthree:
Old 04-15-21, 10:22 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Sample of 2 speaks volumes?
Old 04-15-21, 10:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20805 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Uh, cool?

Like most things, tire choice is a compromise and we all have different priorities. You were happy with your compromise today - good for you. I'd be willing to bet that the guy that flatted is still happy with the compromise of his choosing, though he may have been momentarily upset.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-15-21, 12:15 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Sample of 2 speaks volumes?
Uh, just a little tongue in cheek humor. But, well, despite the small sample size I'm pretty sure that the GP 4 Season is more durable than the GP 5000.
Old 04-15-21, 12:51 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Maybe? I've also double flatted gator skins on a downhill, not sure what I hit just "pfft! Hiss". I never flatted a GP4ks2 on my front but I've flatted plenty with a 4 Season on the rear.
Old 04-15-21, 04:43 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
If you had been riding a 5000 you wouldn’t need to wheelsuck?
Likes For znomit:
Old 04-15-21, 04:57 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Here's my revelation. Get better riding mates that know how to look down the road and call out hazards before they become a problem
Likes For illdrag0n:
Old 04-15-21, 06:08 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by znomit
If you had been riding a 5000 you wouldn’t need to wheelsuck?
No, "wheelsuck" is my middle name. Besides, those guys were at least 15 years younger than me.
Old 04-15-21, 06:09 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by illdrag0n
Here's my revelation. Get better riding mates that know how to look down the road and call out hazards before they become a problem
we didn't know each other. I started solo and we hooked up mid-ride. Also, given the specifics of the situation it couldn't have happened any other way, unfortunately. All happened very quickly. No blaming anyone, not hardly.
Old 04-15-21, 06:18 PM
illdrag0n

Originally Posted by dmanthree
we didn't know each other. I started solo and we hooked up mid-ride. Also, given the specifics of the situation it couldn't have happened any other way, unfortunately. All happened very quickly. No blaming anyone, not hardly.
Ah. Can't do much about that them. Seems the fella you were with is just a victim of circumstance.

In my experience, the right bit of glass will go through everything except a concrete block.

I've ridden all those tyres. My preference has always been the S-Works Turbo for duribility, speed, comfort and grip. It's my unicorn tyre
Old 04-15-21, 06:20 PM
dmanthree

Ah. Can't do much about that them. Seems the fella you were with is just a victim of circumstance.

In my experience, the right bit of glass will go through everything except a concrete block.

I've ridden all those tyres. My preference has always been the S-Works Turbo for duribility, speed, comfort and grip. It's my unicorn tyre
I've heard good things about that tire! My 4 seasons are wearing, so maybe I'll take a look at them for my next set. How has the durability been? Can you ride over crushed glass without flatting?

;-)
Old 04-15-21, 06:23 PM
illdrag0n

I've heard good things about that tire! My 4 seasons are wearing, so maybe I'll take a look at them for my next set. How has the durability been? Can you ride over crushed glass without flatting?

;-)
There is some concessions when it comes to a race tyre, but they have been great for me in the past. I put 4500km on mine without a puncture before a sidewall cut (that didn't flat me) ended it's life. If you want a bit more protection the Turbo Pro's come with a thicker puncture belt and same compound, but i had a great time with the S-works so would rather the lighter/plusher ride
Old 04-15-21, 06:54 PM
dmanthree

There is some concessions when it comes to a race tyre, but they have been great for me in the past. I put 4500km on mine without a puncture before a sidewall cut (that didn't flat me) ended it's life. If you want a bit more protection the Turbo Pro's come with a thicker puncture belt and same compound, but i had a great time with the S-works so would rather the lighter/plusher ride
That's pretty much why I'm riding the GP 4 Seasons right now. I was riding Michelin Power Road tires, but hit some road debris, sliced the rear tire, and broke a spoke. So I put the "winter" wheels on and just kept them. They ride better than you'd think, and seem to roll easier than their "BRR" rating. And they're LONG wearing.

But I think I'm done with 'race' tires. Gladly trade a little speed for peace of mind.
Old 04-15-21, 06:58 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I installed 2 new GP5000's. Maybe 100 miles each. One flatted one weekend, the other, the following weekend. Glass and one pinch flat hitting a hard object. I will give it that and the glass was all over the road. Hope I get better luck in the future but I'm starting to wonder if the protection is not what it was with the GP4000's. I had great luck with them.
I've ridden both, and I agree; the 5000s are not as durable as the previous generation. I moved to the Michelin Power Road because they seemed to have characteristics closest to the 4000s tires.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 04-15-21, 07:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
​​​​​​It's your fault glass can break! 🤬
Old 04-15-21, 07:47 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​It's your fault glass can break! 🤬
Obvious solution: drink beer in cans.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 04-16-21, 06:13 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Nice to know! I bought a stash of tires before my 4000's ran out. So I have about 5, 5000's now. After installing and a few miles, the tread section looks kind of spongy. Almost as if it invites glass and thorns. Guess I'll find out real soon just how good they are or if I have to switch to another brand.
I'm a pretty loyal Conti user, as well. I'm riding the GP 4 Season now, but only bcause my local support system is gon for a while. I'll switch back to the Michelins in a week or two. The Power Road, their "in between" Road tire is excellent. I did flat one recently, but it clearly was not the tire's weakness, but road debris that killed the tire with an unpatchable slice and then kicked up and took out a spoke. So I threw the "winter" wheels on and just left them there for a bit. But really, the 4 Seasons are excellent tires that, for me, seem to roll a lot better than the BRR numbers might indicate.

So if the 5000s don't work out, the Power Road is something I've got to believe you'll really like.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 04-16-21, 07:05 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
On this morning's ride I hooked up with a couple of other guys for a few miles along the coast. During the ride, the lead rider shouts "glass" and since it happened quickly, and nobody wanted to swerve out into traffic lands, we all rolled through it. The lead guy missed most of it, but me and the guy behind me hit is square. He flatted, I didn't. The revelation?

A Conti GP 4 Season with air is faster than a Conti GP 5000 without. No damage to my tires. Could be just dumb luck, too.

Lucky guy! You should buy a lottery ticket. Are you running TL?

Got to agree on that one. I ride with both experienced and inexperience cyclists and man, it does make a difference.

Last edited by eduskator; 04-16-21 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-16-21, 07:16 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by eduskator
Lucky guy! You should buy a lottery ticket. Are you running TL?

Got to agree on that one. I ride with both experienced and inexperience cyclists and man, it does make a difference.
I play the lottery, but, well...for me it's still a tax.

The guys I was with were strangers I hooked up during a ride. I did my best to slow them down, too. ;-)
Old 04-16-21, 07:21 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
I play the lottery, but, well...for me it's still a tax.

The guys I was with were strangers I hooked up during a ride. I did my best to slow them down, too. ;-)
A tax that's also taxed when you win! Never understood that of the great US of A.

Off topic, I know
Likes For eduskator: