Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

PSA...Sold 3 bikes in the last 2 weeks

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 06:37 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 192 Posts

(PSA before the PSA: I have been social distancing and for all these sales I've worn masks and gloves to keep safe, there were only two exchanges: me handing the bike and them handing me payment)

Just wanted to share that I've sold 3 bikes in the last 2 weeks, people seem to be rediscovering riding a little bit. Spring fever plus no where to go I think is helping.

Also I'm N-3 which is great! Down to 12, with maybe a couple more to go. My collection includes 4 bikes for my boys, 2 for my wife, and 6 for me, but I'm working on it.

Anyone else experiencing anything like this?
Old 04-08-20, 06:52 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I priced some stuff to move and sold a couple of bike stands, several frames and a bike in the last few weeks. Maintained social distancing: drop the money in the bucket, item is in the driveway, Call ahead and I will set it out for you.

On the bike work stands, I put one up. First buyer totally flaked out on me. Welcome to FB marketplace! Fortunately, a second buyer came along. Two weeks later, the flake job recontacts me: "hey I'm ready to pick up the work stand". As luck would have it, I had two identical stands! So he bought #2 .

I've got a truckload for the co op. Sadly it might have to go to the recycle center. I have to clear out the workshop for our home remodel.

I'm starting at a higher number, say 60+/- plus a couple of HUNDRED wheels.....
Likes For wrk101:
Old 04-08-20, 07:08 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I've sold 4 bikes this year so far, 2 of which were during the social distancing. Parts have also been selling very well on eBay.
​​​​
Likes For katsup:
Old 04-08-20, 08:01 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 960 Posts
Yes very similar here for me. In fact last night I sold a modern mtb big bucks, for my sister in law. I've also sold three other vintage and have an appointment for another today, other ads that have been getting good bites. My 9sp mtbs are stagnant, only low level nibbles.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-08-20, 09:17 AM
Belg-Ital Steel 

Bikes: large herd that needs thinning

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Advertised one bike on craigslist, ended up selling 4 bikes. Wasn't top dollar, but now I can sort of get back into the garage.
Likes For Belg-Ital Steel:
Old 04-08-20, 09:28 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 487 Posts
You guys are obviously in the wrong forum. Why are you selling bikes? The goal is n+1, not n-x!
Old 04-08-20, 09:38 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I've had a bike for sale for a few weeks, and haven't had a single call or message..... until this week.

Three messages in two days; I've had to turn them all down though as my wife's a key NHS worker and there's no way I can take any risk at the moment.
Old 04-08-20, 09:54 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Yep, I just sold an old Trek with frame blemishes (not my size, or I would have subjected it to René Hubris treatment) that I had been trying to move for years. I've got a cheap combination lock I locked it up with in the sun for a couple days, which should be enough to disinfect via natural UV, receive venmo payment and give the buyer the combo. Feels a bit like a drug deal, but it works.

Mostly I'm less concerned than the potential buyer, but I'm not complaining - generally I hate the in-person part of sales anyway.

If stuff's moving on Evilbay, maybe I should list things. I got discouraged a couple years back when they hit me with a tax form. Anybody have success selling parts on Craigslist? I know it's a category, but I've never met anyone who had much success that route.
Old 04-08-20, 10:10 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I have found sales on fleece bay continue, but at a slower pace, maybe 50%. But I am still selling stuff every day on Ebay.
Old 04-08-20, 10:27 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
If stuff's moving on Evilbay, maybe I should list things. I got discouraged a couple years back when they hit me with a tax form. Anybody have success selling parts on Craigslist? I know it's a category, but I've never met anyone who had much success that route.
I usually sell the parts I don't want to ship on Craigslist. I've sold about 4 pairs of wheels this year, they were all low/mid range or 26" and were not priced over $150.
Likes For katsup:
Old 04-08-20, 10:53 AM
SoccerBallXan

Bikes: Many!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 124 Posts
I had noticed mention of the C&V market dropping, but I am not seeing it in my area. This virus is the best reason people have had to go and spend money on bikes they think look nice. Queue the C&V bikes in my area selling faster and for the same prices as usual. Even my LBS are doing great somehow right now!

Big spending is on the way out for about another year. Bikes are not nearly as expensive as cars, even super nice vintage bikes. I expect the cycling market will continue the same with an uptake in items/bikes sold.
Likes For SoccerBallXan:
Old 04-08-20, 11:00 AM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
I sold a wheelset a couple weeks ago and a frame last weekend, and some parts as well. I just had a guy from New Zealand contact me about shipping a worn out Frejus frame to him, but I said it definitely wouldn't be worth the expense. He even made a comment akin to "the things you think of in isolation..."
Old 04-08-20, 11:11 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
I don't know anything about sales, but....

Bike paths and multi-use trails are crowded with cyclists, and families (so be careful). Bikes not ridden for years are out - the health clubs are closed. Imagine all the spin class fanatics in withdrawal. Connected indoor trainers are supposedly in short supply.

Given the low traffic roads, work-from-home-cyclists are out and riding a lot.

A long stretch of dry, sunny days in Seattle area make this a refreshing change - and cycling is FUN again.

Sorry for people suffering healthwise or financially through this

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-08-20 at 11:14 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 04-08-20, 11:49 AM
game_player_s

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Giant Excursion, GT Cross Series Passage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I've sold two bikes so far this year, most recently my '84 Bianchi road bike just two days ago to a rather enthusiastic, presumably 20-something, who had a keen eye for the quality and features of the bike. Always love selling to someone who has a appreciation for what it is they're buying.

Supposed to be much cooler weather tomorrow, and provided it isn't raining, I'll begin work on my next bicycle to list on the market. Accumulated way to many, and storing them has become a headache.
Old 04-09-20, 12:57 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Tall (vintage) bikes that are very nicely and capably appointed are still slow, though I've sold two in total this year. Need a few more to fly to new homes. Why? Well, among other reasons, so I could put money into the ones I already have! Or wait...they're done. Uhhhh, well, I need replacement rims. I have a feeling the proverbial dam is going to burst at some point, and then I think things will sell in person. Seeing families and couples and anybody biking during sunset hours is really cool to see. TONS of people walking and playing excellent distancing games. It's like they became professional introverts!
Old 04-09-20, 08:48 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Another data point: Many new forum members asking about rehabbing their old bikes or what to buy to begin their C&V adventure.
Old 04-09-20, 08:58 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Made my first sale of the yr on Tuesday, I had listed a rental duty cruiser I redid on CL with a Lawn Edger I also had, edger sold the next day. Guy traveled 30 miles, I handed him the bike he gave me the cash and that was that. Has to be one of the easiest sales to date. He was carrying a bottle of disinfectant around with him lol.

Glenn
Old 04-09-20, 11:02 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
I've sold 4 bikes this year so far, 2 of which were during the social distancing. Parts have also been selling very well on eBay.
​​​​
I've picked up a few parts from Ebay to finish off some projects, I imagine lots of people are tinkering on bikes right now with all the free time. When my parts arrive the entire package gets heavily misted with bleach water including the parts in the package.